Semi-feral Grooming Issues

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Pretty Kitty is matted badly on her back from tail to 1/3 up her back. It's growing- yesterday it was 1/4 up her back. The matt is very thick and dense. She must be uncomfortable and I worry that her skin is going to be infected. Yes, I could have handled it myself if she was more accustomed to being handled. I can pet her and brush her a little bit but she never lets me get more than a few strokes in.

So now I'm thinking of writing my vet to have her shaved down. She'll have to be knocked out but the timing is good since she could use some updated vaccines and a dental exam as well. But I don't want to let things get out of hand so for next time...

How do I work with a semi-feral that only copes with brief grooming before becoming aggressive? And also is there a spray or detangler or just something for coat condition that I can use- a product anyone can recommend?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think that once the vet gets the mats removed, you hopefully will be more easily able to maintain a mat free coat.

There's cornstarch that might help, I've not used it but it's supposed to help the hairs separate from a mat, provided the mat isn't too bad :)

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do I work with a semi-feral that only copes with brief grooming before becoming aggressive? And also is there a spray or detangler or just something for coat condition that I can use- a product anyone can recommend?
Hi. I have no idea about a detangler product for cats. But, for ongoing maintenance, if your girl will tolerate pets, there are gloves you can buy that mimic petting, but are actually for brushing out their loose fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's alright with me if I get her at the right time. I found out yesterday that I can work on the mats if she is in the kitchen on the floor hoping for food. I have to be very quick about it and can't get far in one shot. She swipes at me if I go near her when she's at any elevation like resting on one of her chairs. But that is just how she always is.

I'm waiting to hear back from the mobile vet. I do think these mats could be manageable on another very docile cat. She's just not there yet. She might never get to that level. For a former semi-feral who had years of being on her own I really can't complain.

I've got an order in for a different kind of dematter- not the furminator knock off I bought earlier this year (no one seems to like it). I've seen people recommend those gloves before as well. I'll put them in my next order if this tool doesn't work. She is used to my hands so that might be easier.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple times a year I bring my girl into the enclosed shower stall and groom her. While she won’t sit still for grooming elsewhere, inside the shower there is no place to run so she huddled down while I work on her mats and groom her. The other nice thing about using the shower stall is that it contains the massive amounts of fur that accumulate in the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A couple times a year I bring my girl into the enclosed shower stall and groom her. While she won’t sit still for grooming elsewhere, inside the shower there is no place to run so she huddled down while I work on her mats and groom her. The other nice thing about using the shower stall is that it contains the massive amounts of fur that accumulate in the process.
This will be my goal! I still can't pick this cat up but if she goes in willingly I'll give it a shot:)