Semi-feral cats - time for vet visit

kedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 semi feral cats ( 4 years old ) . They both made progress - they now let us pet them :) they are not as afraid when we move and they even roll and expose their belly to us some days.

They are due for vaccination in 1 month and I'm starting to get all stressed since it was never easy catching them.

I'm hoping we can talk to their vet and sedate them with some kind of medication before taking them for the visit.
Do you have any experience handling sedated cats ? Are they fully knocked out/immobile and can be picked up?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used gabapentin on my feral cats that now live inside. It doesn't knock them out, just makes them loopy. The dosage and timing of the medication is the tricky part. I have found that my cats need 2 doses. One the night before and one first time in the morning. Sometimes the cats take over 2 hours to get to a state you can handle them. But by 4 hours the effects can start to diminish.

Also if you do use this medication, be sure to confine the cats to a safe place. You don't want them to hide under large furniture (or under a bed) and you also don't want them trying to jump since their balance is way off.

I have also used a mobile vet for my feral cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - I'm thinking of using the service of a mobile vet as well. Hopefully they still offer full services ( we are still in lockdown).
We have space issue for sure. Need to figure a way to move the high furniture. Question:
How loopy does it make them? Loopy enough so I can approach them with the towel? They fear out even if I am like 4 meters away with a towel or blanket in my hand lol.

I have used gabapentin on my feral cats that now live inside. It doesn't knock them out, just makes them loopy. The dosage and timing of the medication is the tricky part. I have found that my cats need 2 doses. One the night before and one first time in the morning. Sometimes the cats take over 2 hours to get to a state you can handle them. But by 4 hours the effects can start to diminish.

Also if you do use this medication, be sure to confine the cats to a safe place. You don't want them to hide under large furniture (or under a bed) and you also don't want them trying to jump since their balance is way off.

I have also used a mobile vet for my feral cats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's kind of trial and error. The first time I used it I gave the gabapentin at 10 pm. After an hour he was walking wobbly. After 2 hours I was able to pick him up and put him on my lap. I had never ever held him before. The next morning at 7 am I gave another dose. The vet appointment was at 10am. I was easily able to pick him up and place into carrier. He was like a limp noodle. They were able to do the exam (he had a wound on his back), clean his wound without any more sedation.

The second time I had to take him, I did the exact same thing. This time, he was more alert and he squirmed when I put him in the carrier and yowled. Yet at the vet he did just fine.

I think there is another drug called trazodone that is more sedating. Some vets are using this when gabapentin doesn't work.

I would speak to your vet and decide which is best.

kedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is really helpful. Thank you so much! I feel much better now.
I will make the arrangements for the vet consultation.

It's kind of trial and error. The first time I used it I gave the gabapentin at 10 pm. After an hour he was walking wobbly. After 2 hours I was able to pick him up and put him on my lap. I had never ever held him before. The next morning at 7 am I gave another dose. The vet appointment was at 10am. I was easily able to pick him up and place into carrier. He was like a limp noodle. They were able to do the exam (he had a wound on his back), clean his wound without any more sedation.

The second time I had to take him, I did the exact same thing. This time, he was more alert and he squirmed when I put him in the carrier and yowled. Yet at the vet he did just fine.

I think there is another drug called trazodone that is more sedating. Some vets are using this when gabapentin doesn't work.

I would speak to your vet and decide which is best.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have 2 semi feral cats ( 4 years old ) . They both made progress - they now let us pet them :) they are not as afraid when we move and they even roll and expose their belly to us some days.

They are due for vaccination in 1 month and I'm starting to get all stressed since it was never easy catching them.

I'm hoping we can talk to their vet and sedate them with some kind of medication before taking them for the visit.
Do you have any experience handling sedated cats ? Are they fully knocked out/immobile and can be picked up?
You might want to read through this short thread about my experience with gabapentin with my semiferal. The 100 mg. capsule mixed into her food allowed me to pick her up, something I still can’t do even today, more than three years after I adopted her.

Any Experience with Gabapentin for Pain?

I’m currently giving one of my other cats 50 mg. every night for arthritis pain. It definitely doesn’t caused her to totally melt into a purring puddle the way 100 mg. did Mocha. I’m not sure I could pick Mocha up with 50 mg. in her.

kedilar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might want to read through this short thread about my experience with gabapentin with my semiferal. The 100 mg. capsule mixed into her food allowed me to pick her up, something I still can’t do even today, more than three years after I adopted her.

Any Experience with Gabapentin for Pain?

I’m currently giving one of my other cats 50 mg. every night for arthritis pain. It definitely doesn’t caused her to totally melt into a purring puddle the way 100 mg. did Mocha. I’m not sure I could pick Mocha up with 50 mg. in her.
Thank you. I will definitely give it a read.