Semi-feral Brothers

AmandaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, I am new to the Cat site ☺. I have two gorgeous boys who are siblings. They were rescued from a hospital when they were 9 weeks old in 2017. They belonged to a semi-feral colony who lives on the grounds. I decided I wanted to keep them instead of rehoming as at the the time I didn't have any cats. It was hard work to tame them but slowly they started settling. They remain very affectionate toward each other and they have never had a fight. They are mostly fine with me and allow me to pet them, hold them for short periods, and will even climb onto my lap on occasion. They are talkative and like following me around, but also keep to themselves and have little hiding spots around the house. They need to approach you and will mostly run away if you approach them. They tolerate my husband, meaning that 70% of the time they don't run away when they see him. They run and hide when anyone else comes to the house. This is partly our fault as we are quite introverted and don't often have people over, but they also don't seem to like the unpredictability and noise of people.

I guess my question is more of a broad invitation for others who have had similar experiences. Although I don't expect them to be like a fully domesticated cat, I am concerned that they might be really stressed out or unhappy. They jump at any loud noise and go into panic mode. They have never been aggressive and instead prefers to hide. I am really trying my best to give them a relaxed, calm environment. I even tried some calming gel and tablets to no avail. I have a lot of patience and so I don't generally mind the skittishness but my husband becomes irritable with them which makes me feel like I am maybe doing something wrong and that they should be calmer.

So any experiences or comment will be much appreciated. Does this get better? Am I doing something wrong? A few details: they are neutered and they are fully indoor cats.

Thanks! IMG_20190813_175759.jpg IMG_20190813_161441.jpg