Semi-feral 16-week-old kittens: too late to socialize them?

mizmons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! My elderly mother just adopted two gorgeous kittens from a rescue group. Unfortunately, these kittens are not fully socialized. I say 'semi-feral' because they do respond to toys/play, and they don't growl or hiss at us, but they will not tolerate being handled (petted or picked up). They're very suspicious and afraid of our movements but as long as we're sitting still enough & playing with them, they're okay, so they're not completely feral, but they're definitely not fully socialized.

Everything I've read on socializing kittens says that 12 weeks is really the ideal cut-off/window for this process, so I wonder if these kittens are past the point of effective socialization? Also, the steps/tips for the process of socializing feral cats only partially apply to them, so we're not sure where to start. We can't even touch them, regardless. I'm an experienced older-cat owner, but I've never really dealt with kittens, and certainly not ones this anti-social. Any tips, recommendations, tutorials, resources, etc. would be very welcome. Thanks so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The below twelve weeks window is just a general guideline, it is much EASIER to tame below twelve weeks, not impossible after. There are many on this site that have tamed adult ferals, I hope they come on to give you some points. ANY cat is scared and upset with moving into a new environment, so that is a lot of what your kittens are upset about. Cats HATE change! They are plenty young enough to adapt quickly to becoming tamed, in a few weeks/months, they will become used to their new home and become much more friendly. You could look at old threads on this site under caring for strays and ferals, or cat behaviors forums, and get a lot of ideas.
They are scraed babies right now, so try to keep everything more quiet and relaxed, never force them into anything, and let them come to you. Sit quietly in the same room an read out loud, or just talk to them. Never stare directly into their eyes, that is perceived as a threat. Cats gravitate towards people who ignore them, because they feel no threat. Leave treats behind when you leave so it gives them good feelings, and they will be much more socialable quickly.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not to late my daughter took in a 8 month old, now 9 months semi ferral. He was so bad he would not come anywhere near anyone, my daughter had to give him eye drops so had to handle him, he took to her from the start but she could not pick him up, and had to scuff him to medicate him. He now will come into rooms when her kids are there and follows the oldest boy meowing for treats. They did what di and bob di and bob said let him come to them. He still doesn't like being picked up but enjoys good ear scratches now and sleeps on the eldest bed. She still has a lot of work to do with him but the difference is unbelievable. So hang in there and be patient the love they give back will be worth it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How to Socialize a Kitten
How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

I have done this lots of times given that I only work with ferals and strays. This includes bringing adults into the house in emergency situations. Your kittens are not exactly feral, so don't worry about that time frame. That is really calculated on the premise that you find a completely feral kitten, no human contact or socialization whatsoever. From that perspective, the younger the better.

The fact that the kittens play and don't hiss means that, while they are on guard, they are not that afraid of you.

Just adopted, as you wrote, is a huge part of the puzzle. They are brand new to your home and are wary of what is happening and who you are. Even cats who are more acclimated to humans require an adjustment period when they are brought into new surroundings. These kittens may not even be undersocialized but just using common sense, from their point of view, in a new place.