Selsun Blue For Fleas On Kittens

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy (of www.kitten-rescue.com) suggests using ORIGINAL formula Selsun Blue to kill and wash fleas off of kittens, rather than using blue Dawn soap which immobilizes but doesn't kill. If you try this, please let me know how it works out. Our area is virtually flealess - not that I'm complaining.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the reason we recommend blue Dawn dish soap rather than a dandruff shampoo like Selsun Blue is the absence of chemicals that tiny kittens should not be exposed to.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kills the fleas when a cat is washed with soapy water is the soapy water. The soap reduces the water surface tension. And the reduced surface tension permits the water to enter the flea's spiracles and drown the flea. Same mechanism also kills flea larvae. But not eggs,

Many decades past, vets would suggest Johnson's unscented baby shampoo to wash kittens and cats. Dawn is used now a days. Note wildlife rescue groups use it to clean birds that get oil or other chemicals on their feathers.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Selsun blue has selenium sulfide which is very irritating. I have white spots on my arms and chest from the fungal infection tinea versicolor and Selsun is recommended to get rid of them. You scrub it on your skin and then leave it on for a few minutes. If I remember correctly, it burned like a mother. So I stopped using it and decided to live with my white freckles. I'd use dawn soap or dish soap with lemon or orange oil in it because di-limonene a component found in citrus oils is a natural pesticide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies!! I was hoping that I had a new piece of advice to add to my arsenal of knowledge. My dad used to use warm salt water to deflea the pets and I did the same but that wasn't for a full-blown infestation like those that most feral rescuers are dealing with.