Self-scooping litter boxes?

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been toying with the idea of investing in a self-scooping litter box. I swore I'd never resort to one of these, but I work long hours and the idea of having one less thing to do every day is growing ever more tempting. So, do self-scooping litter boxes actually work well? How do cats adjust to them?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Genie? There's seriously a litter box thing called Cat Genie.
They are kind of expensive though. I'm not sure if it's a self scooping litter box. i don't think there's a self scooping litter box out there, though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Litter Maid is one popular automatic litter box, http://www.littermaid.com/

I've never used one so I can't say it it works well or now. I personally prefer to scopp since you can tell a lot about your cat's health from what's in the litter box.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone I know who has had one has liked it at first but it does wear out and then you end up using it as a normal litter box.  You still have to change the bag with the cat leavings in it, so for one cat that isn't too bad but for most of us, who have several cats, it just isn't practical to have one because we would need one more box thn we have cats (that's the general rule, one cat should have 2 boxes, 2 cats should have 3 boxes etc.) and I agree with @LTS3 that you can tell a lot about your cat's health by noticing what he/she leaves in the litter box.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had 2 Littermaid boxes.  The first one lasted a long time until the mechanism that retracts the cord for the scooper part stopped working.  That didn't seem safe so we bought another and went for the larger, delux model.  That only lasted 2 years .  We have 2 cats and had to empty the tray every 2 days; any longer and it would be over full.  There was a bit of a "science" to how much litter to put in.  Noise is one factor to consider too.  Every time we had company and the box would go off people would start looking around.  
  They do have timers and things on some models; but we didn't bother because it wasn't near the bedrooms.  

I don't know if I'd buy one again.  It really doesn't take long to scoop the box.  I just do that before bed every night.  Handling the waste receptacle wasn't exactly pleasant either. They are costly; so we would just dump them and put them back in; until it looked worn or too dirty and then we would replace with a fresh one.  

franciscan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

My way of doing scooping: I use a empty coffee can. I clean my cats box twice a day, so I scoop what there is in the box, close the cover, and keep doing this until the can is full. I can not smell what is scooped. When it comes time to throw it in the garbage and I can not smell it there either. Saves me trips to the outside can every day.

~donna