Self Inflicting Wounds

BinxandBlaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is semi feral I got her about 3-4 months ago outside. A few weeks after having her these sores popped up on her head. (picture posted when it was at her worst). 2 vets both believe it’s self inflicted wounds and suggest trying to put Neosporin on it and gave her a shot to stop scratching. It worked and it healed up. Now it’s back for the third time (not as bad just a couple spots). I’m barely able to pet her most days but does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop scratching herself? I think ive noticed her doing it around the time she gets home from the vet which she doesn’t need to go to for another year if these sores heal. It’s extremely stressful getting her there we have to chase her and the vet has to wear gloves and a towel to examine her so I think it’s stress related from going to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The first time she had these spots occur - had she been to the vet's beforehand for some reason? What kind of shot did the vet give her to stop the itching? If it is solely anxiety related, I am not sure what they gave her that would have stopped her from scratching.

Is she still outdoors at times/all the time? She could be getting into something outside that is causing the itching/scratching as well.

It could also be her having some stress from the changes she has been through since you 'adopted' her. 3-4 months is not always long enough for a cat to adapt to drastic changes in their lifestyle. The older she is, the longer the adaptation might take.

Do the Neosporin (no pain additives) again to heal it up and see what happens. Or, you can try chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store brands which are typically German - you don't want English - and no additives). Brew one in water and cool the lquid, then dab it on the spots with cotton balls 2-3 times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

You can also try to get her to drink 2-3 teaspoons of the liquid as well, since it also has been known to have calming effects. Having her drink some can be done 2-3 times a day also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BinxandBlaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she they got this bad a week after her first vet visit. She had to get rabies shot and dewormed when I got her.
I’m not sure if the shot to stop scratching helped or if she just wasn’t as stressed and stopped scratching on her own. She’s not outside at all I keep her inside. I’m not sure how old she is I think she’s young maybe a year or so. She’s adjusting really well as long as she doesn’t have to go to the vet. Ill try the tea stuff and see if that helps thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other possibilities: She could have environment allergies causing her to itch. Have her ears been checked? Has your vet recommended a short round of steroids or Apoquel to hopefully stop the itchiness?

BinxandBlaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Other possibilities: She could have environment allergies causing her to itch. Have her ears been checked? Has your vet recommended a short round of steroids or Apoquel to hopefully stop the itchiness?
Her ears have been checked. Her environment stays the exact same. I’ve thought maybe allergy too but I don’t see what it could be. Especially since the sores come and go. Is there anything you know of that cats are commonly allergic to?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exact same could be a problem too. Allergens build over time. Allergens in the environment such as aerosols, freshners, plug ins, candles, incense. Anything scented at all. Smoking too.

BinxandBlaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No aerosols, candles or air fresheners and definitely no smoke. Could the rash come and go if she’s constantly exposed to the same allergen? If she’s always exposed I would think she’d always have the rash. That’s why I didn’t think allergies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get it cleared up again - and, then watch for changes in anything if/when it starts back up. You can always ask the vet to do a skin scraping (not as bad as it sounds) to check for fungal/bacterial infections/etc.

It may be that the Neosporin helps to heal it, but isn't getting to the source of the problem - similar to what happens when the wrong antibiotic is used; it can help to clear up a problem but not resolve it entirely.

On the other hand, if it were anxiety/stress related, you could always try calming products for her. The chamomile tea for one, but there are a ton of them on the market that you could experiment with as not all of them work on all cats. Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you can rub in her ears, have been used by people before the cat is due for a vet appointment - it has a calming effect to help dissipate stress associated with going to the vets.

BinxandBlaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They talked about doing a skin scraping but said she’s doing it to herself and didn’t say anymore about the scraping. I only used the neosporin the first time since the second time there were only like 3 very small spots. I’ve been using those calming drops but I put it in food (the sores started before the drops so it’s not the drops causing it). I started them before she went to the vet and I have stopped them since she went thinking she’d be calmer since she’s home but maybe I should try to give her more drops