Selective Feeding

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to trap two specific cats in the feral cat colony I take care of; all the other cats have been TNRd. I've been trying to trap "Quill" since January 2011. She may be pregnant again. I saw a male cat mount her twice in the past two weeks (he was trapped/neutered today). The other cat (also probably pregnant based on her swinging belly) is relatively new. I have a standing appointment with the low cost clinic all week.
I'd rather not withhold food from the other eight to ten cats all week. Could I sit outside while they are eating and shoo away Quill and the other un-spayed/neutered cats? Would the cats come back later in the night to feed/be trapped, or would the shooing away spook them too much? Quill is very skittish, especially around the trap. But is also always hungry and makes sure she gets her share first. Any other ideas? (Cat nip is going into the trap this time.)
Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, if I can't trap Quill this week, we may go to a drop trap method. I think/hope hunger will win out based on her behavior these past four months.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since Quill is such a little piggy, shooing her away won't deter her from coming back later for food. You might scare the others away too though with your shooing
. Just take up the food. I had to do this a few weeks ago to trap Boo Boo. He is VERY feral and was easy to keep away from the food. All i had to do was walk out there and he was gone, where as Dixie and Yogi
(my now missing boy) would just keep eating. After two days of this, I set the trap, and in went Boo. So it depends on how acclimated the others are to you being present when they eat. It is so tricky to try to trap the unneutered ferals from the already TNRd ferals and I wish you much luck with trapping Quill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for all your suggestions. Everyone's vibes and good luck (and hunger) got Quill into the trap--she is the one I've been trying to trap since January 2011. Yeah. Still want to trap one more cat, who might be pregnant, or a male cat with a bad case of worms. She was scooping out the trap, but didn't go in. Will try again today and tomorrow.
I did as Feralover suggested--sat with the other colony members who had been spayed/neutered, and shooed away the non-club members. Will do the same the next few meals--better chance of not trapping the ones I don't want to trap.

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A suggestion, did you ever think of a net?? I ordered one from the internet and beleive me it works great. Has a tie that when you get them the tie you pull and they can't get out, cover them with a towel and put them into trap. I have used it for really difficult cats and had great luck with it. Good luck to you.