Selecting A Playmate For My Cat

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure where to post this. I have a 3 y.o. neutered male cat and at times he seems bored even though I do play with him. I am considering getting another cat for him to play with. My question is would another male or a female be better? Would a younger or an older cat be better? My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and I have been told by neighbors that they see him playing with another cat that is brought to the neighborhood on occasion. I'm not sure what sex it is but I am guessing a female because I know every once in a while another male comes around and they don't get along. Appreciate comments from those who can. TIA

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people have an opinion on gender/behavior, but I think the majority feel that after spay/neuter, there isn't much difference. At most, it would be like the influence of breed, some impact on average, but any individual cat can be totally different.

Since your cat is known to be friendly to other cats, you are in a good spot and could go both ways re: kitten vs older cat, but a kitten is likely to be easiest. With an active 3 y.o. known to be friendly to other cats, the odds of trouble with a kitten are very low. Still, when you adopt an older cat you save a life, and if you match their personality/activity level, it could go great.

I've found it to be an interesting dynamic adding a cat when the current one is indoor/outdoor. If things go poorly, it is somewhat of a helpful safety valve, but the resident cat's desire to flee and spend more and more of their time outside can also make it harder. You absolutely need to be skilled at guarding the door, as the new kitten/cat will want to follow the current cat. That is a thing to think about re: a kitten, if you have young kids who can't be trusted to be responsible with the door. I mean, a kitten can always door dart even if its an only cat, but its much more likely if there is an example to follow. Its an issue that can be handled -- but don't get an all black kitten, as its very stressful to find them at night if they are not wanting to come back in!

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Lily about a year after I adopted Mingo. It wasn't my intention to provide him with a playmate, but that's how it turned out. I can't really say whether a male or female cat would be better, but I do think a cat about the same age would be best. The deciding factor is how well you introduce them. Take it slow and let them smell and see their new friend before you let the new cat have the run of the house.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of people have an opinion on gender/behavior, but I think the majority feel that after spay/neuter, there isn't much difference. At most, it would be like the influence of breed, some impact on average, but any individual cat can be totally different.

Since your cat is known to be friendly to other cats, you are in a good spot and could go both ways re: kitten vs older cat, but a kitten is likely to be easiest. With an active 3 y.o. known to be friendly to other cats, the odds of trouble with a kitten are very low. Still, when you adopt an older cat you save a life, and if you match their personality/activity level, it could go great.

I've found it to be an interesting dynamic adding a cat when the current one is indoor/outdoor. If things go poorly, it is somewhat of a helpful safety valve, but the resident cat's desire to flee and spend more and more of their time outside can also make it harder. You absolutely need to be skilled at guarding the door, as the new kitten/cat will want to follow the current cat. That is a thing to think about re: a kitten, if you have young kids who can't be trusted to be responsible with the door. I mean, a kitten can always door dart even if its an only cat, but its much more likely if there is an example to follow. Its an issue that can be handled -- but don't get an all black kitten, as its very stressful to find them at night if they are not wanting to come back in!
If I got a 2nd. cat it would be from a shelter. My cat comes and goes as he pleases, he has a door in a window 3' off the ground which might complicate things. I don't think a kitten a kitten would go out the door and jump down but I could be wrong. Tks for responding.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some no kill shelters do have the cats long enough to get to know the personalities, but I wouldn't totally rely on it unless the cat has been fostered for a time. Some no kill shelters do have fosters of course.

I can't visualize what you are saying exactly, but my recollection is that kittens get good at jumping and fearless long before you'd be ready to let the kitten be indoor/outdoor. Might slow things down some, especially if the door is a bit hard to move. I do think it is potentially a bit of an issue, as a cat below a certain size is definitely going to be more attractive to a fox or coyote. Have you seen those around? Note also that most of the no kill shelters tend to grill you before they let you take a cat, and I don't think they would let you take a kitten if you disclose the cat door.