Seizures

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 1/2 year old tortie female had a seizure to day on the bed, which woke her from a nap. If it happens again we are going to the vet. But here is my question. I've been reading archive threads about seizures and I never saw anything about the causes of the seizures that I read about. In the past, what has been the cause of members' cats when they suffered seizures? I am sure there are various reasons but I am curious to know what they were.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my experience reasons for seizures: hypoglycemia, diabetes, kidney, liver issues anything creating allot of toxins would put the cat at risk. If blood work is completely normal then the label idiopathic epilepsy then ' unidentifiable cause ' Tests are costly can be frustrating. Long term medication is phenobarbital. Short term Diazepam and few others. Animals cannot be medicated on human pheno due to the sugars. Feline pheno meds 80-100.00 per month. Pheno is Compounded meaning made that day. Pills are the most common method for long term, economical/shelf life.
*After a year or two pheno can be decreased a tiny tiny amount every 6 months weaning them off, depending on results of course. Some cats can grow out of it. My experience is with a kitten not an adult cat. The best thing is to wrap your kitty in a towel hold them close to you during entire seizure until done. I found this builds up trust and comfort. When on meds they're able to overcome them somewhat can manage OK. There honestly is not allot of info available on the subject medically but there are allot of people sharing their experiences. Found most common time for a seizure is when waking up, but certain things can trigger seizures to. Hope that you have the short term much easier to cope with.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my experience reasons for seizures: hypoglycemia, diabetes, kidney, liver issues anything creating allot of toxins would put the cat at risk. If blood work is completely normal then the label idiopathic epilepsy then ' unidentifiable cause ' Tests are costly can be frustrating. Long term medication is phenobarbital. Short term Diazepam and few others. Animals cannot be medicated on human pheno due to the sugars. Feline pheno meds 80-100.00 per month. Pheno is Compounded meaning made that day. Pills are the most common method for long term, economical/shelf life.
*After a year or two pheno can be decreased a tiny tiny amount every 6 months weaning them off, depending on results of course. Some cats can grow out of it. My experience is with a kitten not an adult cat. The best thing is to wrap your kitty in a towel hold them close to you during entire seizure until done. I found this builds up trust and comfort. When on meds they're able to overcome them somewhat can manage OK. There honestly is not allot of info available on the subject medically but there are allot of people sharing their experiences. Found most common time for a seizure is when waking up, but certain things can trigger seizures to. Hope that you have the short term much easier to cope with.
Thank you so much for all this information. Just what I wanted. Anabel has been fine since and never had this happen before. I hope I don't have to resort to meds. I did just what you said, I wrapped her in a soft blanket and slowly rocked her back and forth, which is something she has liked since her kittenhood. She eventually released her teeth and claws from the bedspread she was clinging to. A terrible experience but I've seen seizures before so I believed she would come out of it.
Thank you again for the info I was seeking.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your welcome, yes massaging all down the spine helps release them. Good to keep a log book for yourself to watch how frequent serious it becomes, how many minutes long it is.