Seizures - Need Advice/experience With Seizure Medications

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My sweet 15 year old kitty Louie has now had four seizures within the past 9 days. I have taken him to the vet and bloodwork is great. He had a convenia shot back in Dec 2017 and has been twitching randomly since. My vet no longer administers this shot due to the horrible complications. They are likely caused from the damage this shot did to his neurological system.

The vet has give me liquid gabapentin to give him daily. I want to see if anyone else has given their cat this med and if there are any side effects and if it actually helped. I know there are other drugs like phenobarbital that we may consider for later but just looking for any input or advice. I'm not familiar with seizures at all... Just in the beginning stages of my research.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no direct experience with feline seizures. I have seen a lot of threads from members on this site, so I am sure that some will soon see your post and offer some help, especially with treatments they have been exposed to. Of course, that will depend on the potential cause of the seizures, which apparently your vet thinks is neurologically related.

In the meantime, just to get you started here are a couple of articles on seizures to hopefully you along with your research.

Seizures in Cats

Work-Up, Therapy and Complications of Seizures in Cats - WSAVA2010 - VIN

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meantime, there's a specialized online community just for epi-cats.

They've been 'around' on Yahoo Groups since 2003 - I see they're now also on FB.

I don't use FB, but, from what I've seen, I have the sense that the info on the Yahoo groups is far more detailed and pertinent to the poster's needs.....perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, here you are
A new/separate/dedicated generic email account works best for the Yahoo platform in keeping the back and forth info flow manageable (for me!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much FeebysOwner and White Shadow - I really appreciate you. As you can imagine - I'm freaking out. Your info is very helpful...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Latest update: Louie is on a dose of .6 of gabapentin every 12 hours. If he has a break through seizure, I was instructed to give it to him every 8 hours. I'm continuing my research and really appreciate all the support. We have an appointment with a neurologist on 2/13. (can't get in sooner, but can go through the er if he as a bad one) So far so good...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Hope the Gabapentin keeps the seizures at bay! And, best wishes with the neurologist appointment! Let us know how the appointment goes, and post any time you want to give us another update!!

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave my wonderful cat Herman meds everyday for the last 7 or so years of his life for seizures. It was a struggle to find the right combo of meds. It is also horrible to see your cat seize while trying to find a drug therapy that works. One thing my vet gave me, which I don't know why they waited on it, was Klonopin for seizures that wouldn't stop. That was really helpful. Let me know if you have any questions. I certainly have a lot of experience caring for a cat who suffers from seizures. Also...fyi...if the meds aren't cheap, check out Costco pharmacy. I spent A LOT of money maintaining my Herman.