Seemingly Homeless Cat. Worms/profender. Sleepy/eating Little After 24 Hrs.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. First time posting here, but I come here often to read or look up problems. I am hoping to get advice/reassurance/info! Sorry in advance for this long post, lol.

We recently moved to a small town in june, and since day one this cat decided to really take a liking to us. We tried not to encourage him to come in and refuse him, but over time (2 months) he has wormed his way into our home. I have been actively trying to find his owners with posters around town. No one has responded.
We decided to start feeding him about 3 weeks ago since he always has cried at us for food when we are in our kitchen and since he was sleeping in our home for 16 hours a day or so; it seems he is living here full time whether or not we feed him. During this time, still looking to see lost cat ads on various websites, have found nothing/have heard nothing. I also took this kitty to the vet to be checked for chip and tattoo, nothing. Has no idetification; only a very torn up horrible collar. You think if you owned a cat you would notice not being home at all? The vet was quite certain the kitty was left here; mentioned to me a lot of cats roam around these parts (in the country/small town) even if they have collars they are homeless beacause of being left behind or dropped off. He made it aparent it happens often here. (who does that?!) He confirmed he is a neutered male, so he was obviously someones cat at some point. He says he is 8+ years old. Up until this past week he has been such a snuggly kitty and very friendly and seemingly good health. However, this past week I've noticed he is way more sleepy than usual, then noticed worms and eggs on his back end. I decided since this cat has been in our care we ought to take him vet for a proper check-up and get his advice. The vet checked his vitals/felts around; and all is normal. He advised we de-worm since he does have worms regardless if we own him or not; since he's been an outdoor cat and for sure eating and bringing us mice. I listened to his advice and the people around me assuring me its the best thing for him because worms can kill him over time. I even asked what happens if he somehow does have a home and they for some reason have been giving him medication, he said the worst that can happen is that he will vomit and have diarrhea. He thanked me for providing him a home and told me to get rid of his current collar. I have since then bought him a new comfortable thinner collar; the one he had irritated him to no end with endless scratching and has shredded his fur off around his neck:( it was a mess. I attached a note to the new one just on the off chance. I am also keeping a close eye on him not letting him out as much during this time.
However I can't shake off this feeling, I know he was at one point someones cat, what if they are so used to him always being outside and he isn't a lost pet to them/doesn't care/didn't see my ads?! I just dewormed someone elses pet? I don't know this cats history at all. I am kind of feeling awful and I am worried about his state of health while being in my care. He seemed in decent health before. I am worrying that since he decided to move in with us, he perhaps hasn't been getting the proper care his previous owners may have been providing medical wise (if there is anything)? Ugh, I am hoping I did the right thing. :(
:( Anyway, the vet dewormed him around 11:30am yesturday with profender due to the cats mouth/teeth being in so horrible condition/sore causing him to not be cooperative about taking the pill version. I trusted the vet to make the right choice.

I have a few questions for all of you.
When a cat has worms are they typically more sleepy? Before the medication he had a big appetite, but has been generally just more sleepy/sleeping more than usual this last week and maybe a bit more unresponsive to a small degree than usual (not wanting as many pets, but tolerates them a bit, mildy grumpy) noticable not his usual self.

How long does it take for worms to fester? Was he maybe sick this entire time and just showing symptoms now?

I also notice when eating treats he has a split moment of trying to sniff/locate where it is before finally finding it (is that normal?)

Since the medication:
day one: he seemed the same as before the meds, still ate a lot; sleepy
day two: (a bit over 24 hrs ago), This afternoon he seems more sleepy, I would say more lethargic. When he is sleeping, he is REALLY sleeping, not very responsive if you come up to him while sleeping. If I wake him with his favorite treat he sleepily perks up and gets up for it; eats it all. When he decides to get up, he walks around the house and cries at the door again to be let outside. This morning he did go outside; was being cute; seemingly normal. I decided I better stay with him and went out to his favorite field shaking his treat bag, and he ran up to me; was excited to see me there, rolled in the grass, looking alert, normal etc. He ate a small amount of dry food and licked the liquids from the wet food before going out. But it's this afternoon lethargy and disinterest in his food today that has me worried. He is eating some of his dry food. He isn't drinking water that I have noticed, but is licking the liquid from his wet food but not eating very many of the soft chunks; if any.
Is this normal behavior? When should I start to be worried? I assumed this behavior would have been in the first 24 hours not after.
I have since then looked up side effects and of course have come across the most worst possible cases of peoples pets dying and now I can't help but be utterly traumatized!
I called the vet, and the receptionist assured me this is pretty normal behavior and should be coming around soon.
Oh, he has just come downstairs to visit me at my computer as I finish writing this; yawning and streching; being cute, played a bit with his toy. I guess that's a good sign.

He is just more slower in his demenor I guess than a week ago before him being like this.

I'd like to take him back to the vet and do a bunch of testing to be sure all his organs/bloodwork are good, what kind of appointment do I ask for? or is any of that even necessary?

lol, as you can tell, I have anxiety with anything health related, whether it be pets or humans, its all the same.
What do you guys think/recommend?
Thanks for listening. <3
*worrying*

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I can't help with the worms situation, but I would say that whether or not the cat actually has people still in the area, you definitely did a good thing getting him wormed.

As long as the clinic said inconsistent lethargy is normal you and he should be ok, and although I'm not a vet I think the heavy sleeping is part of that, but you can ask them.
My guy will often take a moment to sniff his food too, as though he wants to be sure it's safe/edible/doesn't contain any terrible supplements or dreaded meds LOL

I think you can rest easier, because you've done a lot trying to find his previous people. There are so many scenarios possible, but the bottom line in priority now is his health, definitely teeth and a blood panel.
You would take him in for a wellness check that includes a blood draw/test, then if everything checks out that he's healthy enough and you give the go-ahead, they'll schedule for his teeth.

Your comments of bad teeth, a rotten collar, hunger, and worms tend to point towards either a fair bit of time as a stray or a household that doesn't/didn't have the means or knowledge to take care of a cat. I'm thinking the first. How many vets are in town? Do any of them recognize him?
Oh, and is his new collar a breakaway?

Hang in there, he sounds absolutely darling, and so appreciative of your love and care.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you for taking this poor guy under your wing. It sounds like he is going to have a very loving home! :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the old owners. You've done everything you can to help locate them. I can't think of anything more than you could do to reunite them - assuming he wasn't simply abandoned.

I live with a wetland behind me. I cannot tell you the number of people that just dump their cats with the attitude "they can take care of themselves" so it wouldn't be unusual for that to have happened with your new guy. Like you - I don't understand how anyone could do that.

I'm not a vet either but my experience with medicated cats is similar. I think they are just like us in some ways. Medication made to make us feel better - sometimes makes us look, or feel a bit worse at the start, then like magic - all better!

I recognize that hard sleep you are talking about. I know it happens when they are healing or sometimes with meds - and yet every time I see it - I panic.

It's very possible that the extra hunger was a result of the worms and he's now stabilizing. He also could be adjusting to his new life. As good as it's going to be for him - he might still need time to believe that this is home now for real! :heartshape:

I will second what Furballsmom Furballsmom says. I would let my vet know I plan on making him a part of the family. They'll do blood panels (wellness testing) that will give him a baseline to go by should his health change. Probably shots like Rabies etc.

I personally think the checkup etc is worth doing for the long run. In case he gets outside and runs into another cat etc.

I absolutely think you've done a great thing here!:cheerleader::goldstar::clap2::heartshape:

P.S Any name chosen?

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! I would ask the vet to check his mouth. He could have mouth sores and/or sure gums and may need an anaerobic antibiotic. Even drinking plain water can be painful. You can ask your vet about using slippery elm in the water. And bless you for rescuing him

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank-you for the replies! I am feeling better now, and thank-you for the reassurance.
We only have one vet in town, and they looked in their lost and found pets book; he wasn't in it, and they didn't recognize him.
I would really li ke to take him in for wellness work for sure, however a person I know mentioned she has heard bad things about the only vet here. She said if it was her she'd take him 1.5 hours away to the bigger city where they have a lot of good clinics. There are more good reviews than bad ones, so I am not sure what to do in that department. For basic wellness testing I think that should be pretty straight forward for them to figure out? I'd rather not stress the cat out travelling so far :paranoid: I just hope they are clean and sanitary.
Yesturday morning the kitty did have diarreah with tiny streaks of blood from about 4 am-9 am (5 BMS) and hasn't since, I was worried and called the vet and they said it is a normal side effect. I have yet to see another BM from him, but he is peeing at least and eating full cans of wet food, but I haven't seen him drink water.
He still doesn't fully seem himself though. I can't tell if hes still not feeling good or if he is just depressed about not getting his ways about going outside. He's not as lethargic, acting like he did on day one of being medicated.. Still plays a bit tho not fully energetic, was super cuddly this morning, however he'll get these super unimpressed leave me alone weird looks in his eyes and sits very still. He was never like that before this worm situation weeks back. He cries at the door to go out but luckily just gives up when he sees me ignoring him and goes away to sulk on the bed and eventually back to sleep. Not even shaking the treat bag will he respond, lol. I am hoping hes just super unimpresed with me rather than feeling sick? Do cats sulk if they don't get what they want? I feel so bad keeping him inside since he was always outside. He is sleeping A LOT though, that kind of still worries me like you say FeralHearts. You'd think if he was back to feeling better he'd be bouncing off the walls to be let outside. I am going to guess its the worms then meds contrubiting to it all and maybe his age. I guess I won't fully know until I do a wellness check on him. The other day when I was out with him, he seemed his usual self/happy.
I am hoping to let him back outside as soon as I see his next bowel movement to make sure its back to being normal formed stool, or is this not a great idea? I feel so horribly taking away his freedom he loved so much before and don't want to overly fuss over him/ruin his happiness. I am happy to provide a warm home, love and food when he wants it.
His collar isn't a break away one, but have it quite secure around his neck where 2 fingers fit through, but you really have to try and slide them under. He also has long fur that covers all of it pretty much, or is that still risky? Should I try a break away instead?
I have not named him yet, although we have been trying to think of names! I will attach a picture of him :)
catsknowme, yes the vet did already check his mouth, he had a physical checkup before he de-wormed him. The cat does have some mouth issues, although the vet didn't go looking in detail as the cat refused to open his mouth. That is something I hope theyy will further look into during a wellness check?

IMG_4320.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an absolutely beautiful boy! His name will come - once he shows you his full on personality.

:-) Great news about the murmur!

Yes please for the collar. A break-away is safer. If he gets outside he could get hurt or caught on something. There ave been too many sad stories of cats dying from accidental strangulation due to a collar catching on something.

Remember that eating wet food is great as he is getting water. If your worried he needs more for his bowel movement - you can always add a few more drops of water to the wet food and mix it up. As my vet said to me "Remember though - we are not making soup!" That made me laugh when she said that, but, it was also very true!

Oh that deep sleep - yup - freaky! Cats do sleep up to 12 -16 hours a day and the older they get, the more they sleep. He's resting and adjusting. Healing himself up. Keep an eye on him like you're doing. I think it's going very well!

Some Feral / strays can take longer than others to adjust. I have one inside now - 3 months and she won't venture much outside of her safe room. (I've had a lot of support and advice from good people here about how to help her adjsut. You are absolutely in the right place! The folks her are so very amazing and kind.)

Another Feral that I will be bringing in soon, Braveheart, will have a very hard time adjusting. I brought her inside in November for a few weeks to heal from an injury. When she started to feel better she did become depressed a bit. I think in part because he sisters were outside and she missed them.

I have two indoors the past 3 months that are staying. Mia, the one I spoke of above, who nearly died from a blockage and now the last month, her sister White Label who suffered an accidental poisoning from the neighbors - and it was truly an accident - and they really like her! I can't imagine if someone didn't like her what they might do. She's most likely going to have a breathing issue the rest of her life as a result.

I vacillated back and forth and still feel the guilt sometimes of taking them away from the outside freedom. I look at W.L and her breathing and while part of me feels bad for taking her freedom - the choice to keep her safe and alive is far greater. (BTW Mia, Braveheart and W.L are all sisters.)

If you have space in your yard, which it seems you might, you can always do what I am going to do next summer - build a catio. A large - safe area- them them to play and get some fresh air. It'll never be the same as complete freedom - but they will live longer, healthier and it's something at least.

Inside / outside cat is up to you. It's all about what his health is like, your area, possible hazards to him etc. I know many people who do that successfully and some like me who worried every night. You certainly do not have to decide right away.

As for the vet situation - give him a chance - but as you've been told a few negative things - at least you know to keep an eye on the situation. If you don't feel kitty is getting what he needs - you do what I did and change vets at that point. One step at a time. ;-)

You are doing so amazing!:cloud9::grouphug2::clapcat::happycat:

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for mentioning the collar. I got him a break away one now. That would be so devastating if something were to happen!
I’d like to update everyone about the kitty. My spouse and I were so worried about him last night, he was not doing well. We called the emergency line vet here but she mentioned she can’t do over night treatments here if he needed it, so we decided to drive 1.5 hrs into town to the pet emergency; we really had no idea about his state of health. They did a vital check, complete feline blood work, 2 X-rays, and tested for FIV/FeL. His blood work is all good but the X-rays showed his entire intestine track was so inflamed she was concerned if left untreated they could move or shift/twist. She suspects the inflammation is due to all the worms in the kitty. I personally also suspect since he was a stray kitty eating rodents for so long the food may be causing him gas further irritating everything? I know when I feed him his tummy makes crazy loud gurgling sounds. Anyway, We decided to leave him there for 24 hours to get the boost he needs with IV fluids etc before we start home treatment. The trip there was so stressful for him we thought a 24 hour break would be nice for all of us lol.
At this point I am wondering how can we be sure the inflammation will stay away, if the worms are the real cause, it should go away since we de-wormed him? The vet here in my town did also ask if I changed his food on him and we realized this all began the day I switched him to wet food, and I had been giving him so many different brands since then. Will going back to the original kibble be best at this moment? (Nutro wholesome essentials brand I was feeding him) I fed him an entire bag of it and he never exhibited these problems during that time, only the loud gurgling tummy. I am also wondering what kind of food would be best for him that I could slowly switch him over to?
Awww, we are missing him today and hoping he makes a smooth recovery and get him to the point of being a comfortable healthy kitty. No wonder he was sleeping so much.
I understand now about wanting to keep the kitties indoors to protect them! We will have to think in that one. The catio thing sounds so cute. If we decide to keep him indoors maybe we’ll go that route too, thanks for the idea.
Aww! That’s so sweet you take in feral kitties! It’s hard to not be so stressed out with worry when they aren’t feeling good lol. How do you do it?
You’re right, we will give the vet here a chance for our future appointments. Seems like the best thing to do.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom gives good advice about those collars. It's not something we often think about. I never did as none of the cats have had collars - Charlie would never tolerate one and the Ferals I thought wouldn't either so I never tried lol.

I'm sorry to hear he's still not doing great, on the plus, you knew when it was time to take him back to the vet. :-) :-) That always the biggest hurdle.

Stray kitties eat all sorts of stuff. I know W.L had to have an enema and what can out of her was concerning. Gravel etc.

With his current situation, the inflammation, I would write down all those questions an talk to the vet about it when you pick him up. That's probably the safest bet atm.

Once he's back to full health there are a lot of people here with experiences with foods and supplements that may be good for him - but right now - I'd leave it to the doctor to advise. Better to be safe. Also, ask what things to look for regarding the inflammation so that you understand what to watch out for as he heals.

You guys are doing such a good job. I have to admit - I kinda giggled when you said you already miss him. Funny how that happens so fast with these little creatures. They are the ultimate emotional manipulators. ;)

CATIOS FOR THE WIN! ;-)

It’s hard to not be so stressed out with worry when they aren’t feeling good lol. How do you do it
Honestly - I used to cry a lot if one didn't show up. I've started to relax a bit more - and try to remember that I'm doing that best that I can for them. Sometimes that's all we can do.

Please keep letting us know how you are all doing. The people around her are so very awesome I can't tell you how much help they are.

XOXOXOXOOXOXO

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I fed him an entire bag of it and he never exhibited these problems during that time, only the loud gurgling tummy.
There is no real way to know if the inflammation actually started with the dry food and the gurgling tummy.

Check with your vet, but try a 50-50 ratio mix of unseasoned boiled diced chicken and rice for maybe a couple of meals. This is often prescribed by vets to help settle an upset tummy.

Also, after he's back on canned food again, try adding some plain pumpkin, and also goat milk.

Then find something like fancy feast canned food, and Merrick Backcountry pouches, Tikicat pouches, Natural Balance, Almo supplemental foods and also their nutritionally Complete foods.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses.

An update on the kitty.

He seems to be doing well now.
The other day I noticed very minor symptoms re-appearing with the food I've been feeding him (royal canin), so I contacted the vet and they recommneded since it seems the food upsets his stomach to just completely switch him to Hills Digestive care for now; to allow his stomach to settle down. It seems to be working. On the plus side he gobbles it down. So far, no issues with it in the last couple days. Today was also the last day of his medication, so we shall see how these next few days go as well.

I did notice however this food doesn't look to be of the highest quality, so I don't want him to be on it forever. The lady at the pet emerg did say I will want to transistion him back onto a good food, yet the vet here said if he has to, he could sucessfully stay on it. So not sure about that, but I'd definetly like to try something of higher quality for him. I guess that will have to be trial and error on my part finding something that works for him? I also want to put him on a food that maintains good bladder health to avoid any complications with that. Or is that something I don't really need to worry about if he is on a good food?

Honestly - I used to cry a lot if one didn't show up. I've started to relax a bit more - and try to remember that I'm doing that best that I can for them. Sometimes that's all we can do.
Yes, it's so true and omg, I spent a couple days crying over him in the beginning lol. But now I am trying stay positive, relax and do the best I can for him with the help of my vets advice and the help here. I just have to trust, go with the flow and believe the right things will happen. :)

find something like fancy feast canned food, and Merrick Backcountry pouches, Tikicat pouches, Natural Balance, Almo supplemental foods and also their nutritionally Complete foods.
After some bit of research, it looks to me that Tikicat is suppose to be a good brand of food, so I might try that. Thank-you for your recommendations.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Thank you so much for the update - this is terrific news!!

If you wanted to, you could do a rotation of foods, in other words feeding him one food for a day or a week, then alternating with a different food.

The bladder, kidneys and even the liver will be helped by moisture, so canned foods plus having him drink clean safe water will promote a healthy digestive system for him.

Let us know how things are going - your baby is gorgeous by the way :thumbsup: :cloud9:

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! Progress! This is great news. Stay positive. I know some days it's harder than others but you're doing a wonderful job. Lucky kitty!

:goldstar::cheerleader:

Furballsmom Furballsmom that's an awesome idea with rotating food.

Wet food does help to keeps cats hydrated, which will certainly help the organs function better. All of mine are primary wet food and at bedtime get a handful of dry food. (It seems to be like potato chips for them lol)

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww. I thought get he was doing better, but something I am doing/feeding him is bothering him. I also feed bad I switched him off what I was feeding him with this vet food they told me to feed him, perhaps it’s all the change? (Although I suspected that first food was bothering him too) I am mostly suspicious of the fructooligoacchardes ingredient in this vet prescribed food. All this troubles started when I was feeding him Japanese tube treats that had that same ingredient in it, so that’s why I am suspicious. Although it’s really hard to say when it all started. I did also however yesturday and today tried introducing wervua paw licking chicken canned food, perhaps that didn’t agree with him? He ate it all up yesturday but today will only eat the juice from it and barely any of the chicken. I figured the more plain/clean food would be easiest on his stomach.
I am kind of feeling confused as to what to do for him at this point. He isn’t vomiting and I don’t think he has diarrhea either but I can tell he doesn’t feel well, he isn’t his usual self/ same symptoms creeping up again.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear he's doing a bit of a backslide. :-(

I also notice when eating treats he has a split moment of trying to sniff/locate where it is before finally finding it (is that normal?)
This from your original post I know what it could be.. Maybe lol Mine does that sometimes to. Cats, from what I have read have good senses of smell - but really terrible up close vision.

Aww. I thought get he was doing better, but something I am doing/feeding him is bothering him. I also feed bad I switched him off what I was feeding him with this vet food they told me to feed him, perhaps it’s all the change? (Although I suspected that first food was bothering him too) I am mostly suspicious of the fructooligoacchardes ingredient in this vet prescribed food. All this troubles started when I was feeding him Japanese tube treats that had that same ingredient in it, so that’s why I am suspicious. Although it’s really hard to say when it all started. I did also however yesturday and today tried introducing wervua paw licking chicken canned food, perhaps that didn’t agree with him? He ate it all up yesturday but today will only eat the juice from it and barely any of the chicken. I figured the more plain/clean food would be easiest on his stomach.
I am kind of feeling confused as to what to do for him at this point. He isn’t vomiting and I don’t think he has diarrhea either but I can tell he doesn’t feel well, he isn’t his usual self/ same symptoms creeping up again.
Before he was vomiting though,. He's not now. So is it the lack of eating again and the gurgling tummy?

Have you called back the vet? Did it start back up today only?

Hi! A hairball?
Could be.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to be much help with the digestive issues. I would say keep him consistently on a bland, wet, nutritionally complete food so that he can get used to it for a bit. Maybe see if one food helps rather than switching often, at least for now. If he does well with one, then try to make your food rotation out of foods in the same brand or same ingredients. I rotate my cats' fold all the time, but they both had upset tummies when we first took them in.

The teeth issues might be bothering him also. I just had a bunch of dental work and extractions, and boy did it make me mopey. It seems like it's too soon to eliminate anything from the potential list of irritants for your cat, but I sure hope he starts to feel better soon!

I mostly wanted to tell you that you and your spouse did an amazing thing taking this cat in. His love will repay you many times over! Someone dumped Mog around our house, and he had the same sad collar situation. I worried about whose cat it was for months, as he hung out in our porch, and eventually ate our food, and tried to enter our house every chance he got. Eventually, we just have in, and took him into our care, and never looked back.
Every cat is different, but Mog hasn't tried to go back outside again. And he definitely could: he's so fast that he could sneak right by. He always gets into rooms inside the house that I try to keep the animals out of, so I think he just prefers being an inside cat.

It was really difficult and stressful at first getting him back to normal health after him having been a stray for a while. I also worried that he'd miss his freedom, or someone was looking for him. (He also had a bad case of worms, and had an upset tummy for a few days after his treatment. It sounds like your kitty had quite the case!) In the end, though, as Mog came out of his shell more, he had been such a joy to us, and the perfect addition to our family.

I know your dynamic with this kitty was letting him be in / out, so maybe he would be a bit more resistant than mine, but only because that's what he's used to. By keeping him inside with you (especially while he is recovering,) you can see his eating and sleeping patterns, all his BM, and keep him from all the dangers outside. In the off chance someone is looking for him, they probably shouldn't have him. You're the one taking care of him properly, and there's no way to know if this person will endanger this kitty again. (That's what I told myself about Mog when I worried about this, too.)

I know he'll be very happy with you indoors, and you'll be able to worry less because you will see what is normal for him. When health issues come up, or a food doesn't agree with him, you'll be able to know his routines. I think he might still be in the phase where he's establishing his routines, too. Thanks so much for taking this guy in, and congrats on your new cat!

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys :)
Before he was vomiting though,. He's not now. So is it the lack of eating again and the gurgling tummy?

Have you called back the vet? Did it start back up today only?
He never has vomited luckily even in the beginning. Just listlessness/sleeping most of the day, sleeping in hiding places/weird places, distant and or sad looking eyes/face, slow and does not want to be picked up. All these symptoms are back, and I know it’s tummy inflammation since we had him looked at the first time around. I don’t really hear his stomach unless I put my ear to his belly, is that normal? I haven’t called the vet back yet , but maybe I should see what they say. They put him on food with gums, glutens, corn and wheat, things I know cats really shouldn’t eat though and quite sure all these additives are the problem.

Luckily he is actually still eating and drinking water. I have been trying a few different foods I now believe after some research aren’t the best for him. I am quite certain this kitty needs really simple foods due to being a stray only eating mice for who knows how long. Maybe I should just buy him frozen mice, I guess they are apparently the best food for a cat from what I’ve read, lollll. Anyway, I had been feeding him Royal Canin urinary wet, hills vet prescribed digestive care kibble, and I tried wevrua paw lickin chicken wet (I thought he’d do good on it but after gobbling the first can all he eats from it is the liquid and has no desire to eat the shreds of meat, lol. Also has xanthum gum which is a possible irritant and maybe he’s allergic to chicken? Although I suspect he would vomit if that was so?) I almost wonder he has a mild case of IBS/D but hoping it’s more him just trying to adjust to all these food changes. Poor thing.

Hmm, a Hairball? I’m actually unfamiliar with the kind of symptoms.

I'm not going to be much help with the digestive issues. I would say keep him consistently on a bland, wet, nutritionally complete food so that he can get used to it for a bit. Maybe see if one food helps rather than switching often, at least for now. If he does well with one, then try to make your food rotation out of foods in the same brand or same ingredients. I rotate my cats' fold all the time, but they both had upset tummies when we first took them in.
I think you are right. I really hope this approach works. I found some instinct limited ingredient diet wet pate kind of food I am hoping he will be okay on. I gave him the littlest bit today and he loved and ate it all eagerly. I am guessing it’s best to feed him a little bit each day and gradually increase the amount over the week? He seems to do okay on the vet digestive care kibble (temporarily hopefully to get him off that too), but it’s hard to say for sure. But I was just going to keep him on that for now, stop the bad Royal Canin, and slowly introduce this simple wet food. I am kind of wondering if probiotics would be beneficial for him if in a worst case? Anyone familiar with that?

Should I only feed him twice a day? Or smaller meals throughout the day? i wonder what would work best for him.

Aww. Thank you tinydestroyer! We really do love him! And thank you for sharing your story, it helps me stay encouraged. Your kitty sounds so cute.

Luckily this kitty doesn’t actually cry to badly to go outside. He seems to mostly cry at the door when he wants to do his business. I don’t think transitioning him to be indoors will be too bad if that’s what we decide to do.

I lost my original reply and had to retype everything lol, not sure if I remembered everything I wanted to say, but I thank you all for your input!!