Seeking Advice From People Whose Cats Have Had Megacolon Or Comstipation Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you and Robin are going through this, misterwhiskers misterwhiskers -- how old is Robin? Has he had abdominal xrays or an ultrasound?
Hi, Robin turns 6 today, and no, no X-rays or ultrasound yet due to financial constraints. Vet diagnosed based on palpation and sample of stool size I brought in.

tibble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been through all of this!
You need to get your vet to give you a prescription for royal canin gastro fiber response food. Its about 45.00 for 8.8 lb bag. If you use any other food with fiber in the title it will NOT work. If your vet has not recommended it to you then you need to see another vet. If you are that broke I will send you a few days worth of my cats food to try. If the fiber response does not work than you need to get cisapride which will help move the food through the cats system. If you need to save money you can also give the cat an enema yourself very easily with feline pet ema 6 mil, they sell it on amazon for 6.00. You will need 2 people to do it. Do not use a human enema. It has to be a pet-ema.

I cannot believe that some vets are still NOT advising to try royal canin fiber response

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The RC Fiber Response food can bee a GodSend for many Megacolon kitties... You have to try it to find out.. Cheaper with a prescription sent to Chewy.. plus, they will refund you, if it does not work, or your kitty will not eat it.. It is dry food, so you need to make certain your kitties will have enough hydration...

Your Vet can also prescribe Lactulose, along with Miralac (Over the counter)-- mix with water and either add to wet food, or syringe into Robin.

If this is not enough, there is also Cisapride prescription medication, which aids in the contraction of the bowels.. It helps with the neural pathways which are not working when there is a motility issue....

Hope this helps...

I have been there, and have gone through so much with my guy.. You can look up my thread--Artie and his issues..
Beware, it seems never-ending.. but it is about all my struggles with MegaColon and IBD...

Wishing you the best..
((Hugs))

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been through all of this!
You need to get your vet to give you a prescription for royal canin gastro fiber response food. Its about 45.00 for 8.8 lb bag. If you use any other food with fiber in the title it will NOT work. If your vet has not recommended it to you then you need to see another vet. If you are that broke I will send you a few days worth of my cats food to try. If the fiber response does not work than you need to get cisapride which will help move the food through the cats system. If you need to save money you can also give the cat an enema yourself very easily with feline pet ema 6 mil, they sell it on amazon for 6.00. You will need 2 people to do it. Do not use a human enema. It has to be a pet-ema.

I cannot believe that some vets are still NOT advising to try royal canin fiber response
It sounds pretty good,my issue is my cat is extremely picky about new foods, especially dry. It literally took a year to get him to eat even the ONE, and even now he’ll go off it once in a great while. Does the Royal Canine seem like it tastes good or was it a hard sell?

tibble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was not a hard sell. If you buy the food at your vets office or petsmart and your cat does not like it they will give you a full refund. If it does not work after a few days you can bring the open bag back and get a full refund as well.
If your vet does not carry it, ask for a written prescription and call other vets in your area and ask them if they stock it. Most vets will take a prescription from another vets office for food even if your cat is not their patient. Try it, if it does not work bring it back for a full refund. That works on Hills prescription diets and royal canin prescription diets. Both have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to pop in here and give you some good news. My childhood cat had Megacolon and we managed it very well. We sometimes had enimas an manila extraction, but for the most part he did very well. The first episode was the worst since we didn't really know we had to pay attention to his fiber intake and BMs as much. After that we changed his diet, added some pumpkin, and was able to get it to a manageable level. He lived many happy years after his diagnosis. Once you get past this first bout, you will be better armed to be more prepared. And even if there is an issue, you hopefully won't see it as bad as this time.
Much love to you both as I know this is scary!

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"manila extraction" = manual extraction. Sorry I don't know how to edit my posts yet :(

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it was not a hard sell. If you buy the food at your vets office or petsmart and your cat does not like it they will give you a full refund. If it does not work after a few days you can bring the open bag back and get a full refund as well.
If your vet does not carry it, ask for a written prescription and call other vets in your area and ask them if they stock it. Most vets will take a prescription from another vets office for food even if your cat is not their patient. Try it, if it does not work bring it back for a full refund. That works on Hills prescription diets and royal canin prescription diets. Both have a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied for any reason
Thank you!!