Sedate Ally for my flight on Friday? What about Alfie - too young?

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying the Ally is a very good flier.  Every time I've taken her on a plane, people compliment how well behaved she is, and how she (with the exception of being taken out of the carrier for TSA when she freaks out a little bit and becomes a velcro cat) is calm the whole time.  She never meows on flights unless I talk to her - and then it's just a response to let me know she's paying attention to whatever I'm saying.

Ollie too was a great flier btw.  The two of them got along in one carrier for flights - no problems ever.

This Friday could be different though.  Ally is slowly trusting Alfie, and I even woke up to them both snuggled up against me and each other this morning (that was a first).

The added stress of flying though has me worried.  IMO - it's too soon to shove them in a carrier together, and especially so for a flight - BUT - I have no choice.  They have to come back with me to Minneapolis and they have to be in one carrier for me to bring them on the aircraft with me.  Not my rules.

So - for the first time, I'm considering mild sedation for flying.  Mainly for Ally, but I wonder if it wouldn't be possible or wise for both of them.  I don't know if a 4 month old can even take something like diazepam, so it might not be an option for Alfie, but the last thing I want is for them to have their first fight because of the stress of being shoved in a carrier together and brought onboard and airplane.

So - this situation kind of stinks, but I have to make it work for them.

I plan to use Feliway in the carrier.  I'm debating buying a new carrier - one that doesn't have Ollie's scent in it.  On one hand, maybe it would comfort Ally.  On the other, maybe it would freak out Alfie (although he's pretty easy going, Ollie would have loved him I think).

Ideas, tips, advice welcome on how to handle this bad situation and get them safely to Minneapolis, where they won't have to fly again until MAYBE May (maybe not even then if I can get my summer law internship in the Twin Cities).

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Why don't you try putting them together in the carrier and go for a short drive? That will give you some indication of how they behave when they're stuck with each other in a small space. When you get home play with them and give them plenty of loving. If you have time to do that once or twice a day before you travel it could work to reduce the stress on the longer flight.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for an easy trip for all of you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had any luck with sedating a cat for a vet visit or anything.  I can't tell you what to do with your cats; I would take a vet's advice, first of all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, yeah, of course. I would need them to see the vet to do this. I don't have diazepam just sitting around. Too bad. I wish I did, but not for the cats. lol

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I wouldn't expect you to.  But, sometimes, it pays to ask a specific question.  You know your cats well; the vet sees them for 15 minutes twice a year, maybe.  You have a much better understanding and concern for your pets.  You know what they like and don't like, what has worked before, etc.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you try putting them together in the carrier and go for a short drive? That will give you some indication of how they behave when they're stuck with each other in a small space. When you get home play with them and give them plenty of loving. If you have time to do that once or twice a day before you travel it could work to reduce the stress on the longer flight.
for an easy trip for all of you.

I agree; a trial run on the ground is an excellent idea, or at least letting them spend some time together in the carrier to see how they do.  IMHO, I don't think you really need to get a new carrier, especially since Ally might be comforted by Ollie's scent.  As far as sedation is concerned, I would discuss options and side effects with the vet.  Hope you all have a smooth journey. 

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert, but I'm sure I read that one should NEVER sedate cats for a flight.  OTOH, this is a question for your vet, and I hope he's a good one.  Is it true that the airlines won't allow more than one carrier in the cabin?  If so, that's really too bad, because am going to be moving four (4) cats accross the country next year.  I would NEVER check them into the pet hold (for several reasons).  I'm actually considering driving, or paying others to fly with me. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can give you my
, this is from both personal experience (having traveled with some my cats a lot, for work) and being a licensed veterinarian technician. Panda, my approximately two years old, terminally ill cat, reacts very well to tranquilizer. As in, "it works like a charm". While, a twelve to sixteen week old kitten, I had and traveled with, was given a VERY high dose of tranquilizer. This kitten, was very very vocal, active and all in all "wide awake".

I can say, that I have seen MANY clients tranquilize there cats. I have NEVER heard any complaints other then, "the tranquilizer did not work". I have also heard, "the tranquilizer  worked so well, I want to give some to my human family". I have NEVER seen or heard of a permanent, physical issue from tranquilizing a cat for travel purposes.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Took Alfie and Ally to the vet today and asked about this.  They both will be taking diazepam on Friday.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify - Alfie is not taking the same dose as Ally.  Alfie will be taking .5 mg and Ally will be taking 1 mg.

As somebody who has to take 40 mg of diazepam to have an effect I'm a tad skeptical that those doses will be enough, but at the same time, I'm going for relaxed.... not, "The snozberries taste like snozberries!!:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Took Alfie and Ally to the vet today and asked about this.  They both will be taking diazepam on Friday.

I am going to post some links for you to look at, RE: Diazepam: http://www.wedgewoodpetrx.com/learn...l-monographs/diazepam-for-veterinary-use.html , http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=540&S=1, and http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/CW-Diazepam-Valium.htm .
Just to clarify - Alfie is not taking the same dose as Ally.  Alfie will be taking .5 mg and Ally will be taking 1 mg.

As somebody who has to take 40 mg of diazepam to have an effect I'm a tad skeptical that those doses will be enough, but at the same time, I'm going for relaxed.... not, "The snozberries taste like snozberries!!:
If you have real concerns about the drug working, ask the veterinarian, if you can try some a few days before the flight. That is what I did, before my cats flew for the first time

Just FYI, I use Acepromazine, 5mg,  two to three hour prior to travel. It works like a dream for my cats

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Remenber, dose is always calculated as mg/kg, i.e., a 10 lb cat should need about 15X less than a 150 lb person.  Think about that fact before you leave any of your own pills lying around!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

Remenber, dose is always calculated as mg/kg, i.e., a 10 lb cat should need about 15X less than a 150 lb person.  Think about that fact before you leave any of your own pills lying around!
I was just thinking that those doses sounded kind of high for little kitties. A lot of people start with 5 mg.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I know.  I was just making a joke about how it takes insane amounts to make me sleepy have any effect.

Last edited: