"Secret Santas"??

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed last year that some of the members were doing Secret Santas. How could I get involved in being a secret santa? Who started it last year? Is it too late to start for this year?
Mods---if I am doing anything inappropriate by asking this, or possibly starting it, I apologize. I had asked in another thread regarding mailing lists, but no one answered.

I would just like to try doing that and being involved in it this year.....everyone seemed to enjoy it!
Thanks to anyone who answers!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

I noticed last year that some of the members were doing Secret Santas. How could I get involved in being a secret santa? Who started it last year? Is it too late to start for this year?
Mods---if I am doing anything inappropriate by asking this, or possibly starting it, I apologize. I had asked in another thread regarding mailing lists, but no one answered.
Have you seen this thread?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's the thread I was refering to. No one answered me there. So, I'm guessing though that's how it was done last year? That people were already on mailing lists with each other?

If so, I have about another 50 posts to make so I can be on a mailing list!
Thank you!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Secret Santa list has taken place every year this community has been in existence. Someone on the board volunteers to take names for this and match them up so everyone involved is getting and giving a gift. As far as that goes, if you are anxious enough to start a thread about it this early and you want to take on the project- I doubt you will have much opposition. I did it one year, and it was a lot of work. There were some who didn't get anything, and others who were completely blown out of the water at what was sent to them. It's fun and maddening at the same time.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, sorry I'm slow thinking today, lol! I actually was in charge of the Secret Santa last year.....no way that I can this year, will have to pass it on to someone else I'm afraid.........But in answer to your question, usually one person organizes it, collects everyone's name, addy and things they'd like, sets a price and a date to have it delivered by....then chooses who gets who as their secret santa.

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Secret Santa last year was an "isolated subject". Those who wanted to join put their names on a list and sent their address and some information about themselves to the one who managed it and she sent the information to the Secret Santas.

It was a lot of fun.

Actually, I had planned to manage a pen pal thing after last Christmas, when the Secret Santa was over, but I have had computer or internet problems for months and the pen pal thing was one of the things I was gonna check when I came back, and finally I am.....maybe I should make a seperate thread about that.
I would love to manage the Secret Santa, its really the same as the pen pal thing, except its for Chrismas.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also love to manage the Secret Santa... but I don't want to say "I do" on August as I don't know what will be happening then
I will wait till October at the very least, to consider it.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps since more than one person wants to be in charge, people should say if they're interested in heading it up here, then we'll post a poll thread and vote???? Just a suggestion........

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

Or, we could just have more than one person handling it, in order to spread the fun, and the burden at the same time.
As someone who organizes things and groups on a fairly constant basis...you really want one person to be the central contact and organizer. Otherwise it's going to get messy and someone is going to get left out (I thought they were on your list!
)

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

As someone who organizes things and groups on a fairly constant basis...you really want one person to be the central contact and organizer. Otherwise it's going to get messy and someone is going to get left out (I thought they were on your list!
)
I agree Heidi.......one person would be best. Do you guys want me to start a thead to put it to a vote?

jack the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi im really not sure cuz i just joined this site about i day ago.i wish i could help but i cant so i hope u get more replys on this so u no.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I agree Heidi.......one person would be best. Do you guys want me to start a thead to put it to a vote?
I see Heidi's point there... The vote idea is fine for me... Whoever is in charge, could start to pick up addresses from now, and distribute them on October, so the gift giving may begin.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being as the site has gotten very large, and since we field so many new members on a monthly basis, MA and I feel it's only right that an admin be in charge of collecting and doling out addresses for any Secret Santa effort.

So, decide what you would like to do, but I'll have members who wish to participate notify me with their personal contact information.

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will gladly vote for someone to run it.....I don't know enough members yet.
Sorry about talking about this in August....last year I didn't see it until November, and naturally that was too late.
Is there going to be restrictions for exchanging addresses like there is for the mailing list? (Days of membership and number of posts?)
I'm just glad that this is going to happen again, and I may have a chance at participating!

Is there price restrictions? Such as, no more than (for example), $30 bucks spent on someone? I realize that there are a lot of people here that have large families to shop for. And my son is almost 9 and he still believes in Santa Claus. So, it's important for me to keep that belief alive.....it makes Christmas so enjoyable.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tend to suggest a $10-15 limit. If somebody like Susie wants to specify what info to give out, that's fine. Also, let's set a due date for signing up to participate - September 30? That would give time to get names out and plenty of time for shopping and shipping.

Whatever is decided about other info, I will need:

1. Your username
2. Your real name
3. Your complete mailing address
4. Your email address

You can send it all to me at 'deb at thecatsite dot com' (Insert symbols where appropriate). Please wait until other info like favorites is decided upon.

emmysamson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay...end of September sounds good. Hopefully, someone will remember to post something like "Sign up for Secret Santa Now" .

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, it's starting early this year!

I was thinking though that we should keep open the idea of Secret Santa 2 - like last year! That way, late comers can be included and also the organiser gets a Secret Santa too! Plus it is always handy for the organiser to have someone to help if needs be!

I'm certainly going to sign up again! It was so much fun last year!

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll participate but i don't want to organise it, my memory is shocking

if i participapte do i send a present to one person on the site at Christmas?

how does it work?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i'll participate but i don't want to organise it, my memory is shocking

if i participapte do i send a present to one person on the site at Christmas?

how does it work?
What happens is: Everyone who wants to participate sends their username, real name, address and some information about what they like. Then the organiser sends everyone the details of one member and the budget for the gifts. You will then buy and send them their Christmas gift.

You will also receive a gift from someone different!

It is a lot of fun!