Second kitten

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I added a new cute little black kitten to my family of pets who now consist of in order Oscar my part Benga, Max my part Chihuahua and little Teddy my lovely little black kitten who I got a week ago who loves sitting on my shoulder lol. He’s already trying to rule the roost. He is fine with Max my dog sits looking at him but he’s hissing at Oscar who is 6 years old and he looks at him just as much as to say who are yo. Oscar has shown no sign of aggression towards him but how can I get Teddy to at least be able to be in the same room with all of us?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are the most adaptable of cats. How the adult animals are doing is always the much more important question, because the kitten will be fine in time. So . . . you wait. It rarely takes more than a week or so (and usually much less) if there isn't hostility aimed at the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Result. He came downstairs but I left his escape route free so he can leave the room and he was laid in the middle of Oscar and Max He let them both sniff him. He is just like Oscar vocal. I can see them both trying to get the last word in.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A week is hardly any time at all from the cats' point of view. What you're describing is perfectly normal. For Teddy, Oscar is this strange cat who's much bigger than him. If you met a strange person who was much bigger than you, you might be a bit nervy too, and maybe trying to do an impression of being tough so they knew not to mess. With time, I have no doubt they'll tolerate each other at the very least, or even become friends. My advice would be to supervise their meetings and keep them both busy with other things so they're not completely occupied with each other and potentially feeling threatened. Then each cat will learn that the other one is just part of the scenery and nothing to be worried about. Only if there's a real fight, with claws and teeth used and fur flying, do you need to be concerned. So far I'd say both cats - not to mention Max - are doing really well.