Second kitten debate

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last month, I adopted Onyx from a local SPCA three weeks ago. He's an extremely loving, playful seven month  old kitten. I understand kittens should be adopted in pairs, but I hesitated to get a second one at the time of adoption because Onyx had an URI. Now that it's cleared up, I'm considering it again. But I'm still not sure because I don't know if it will be more stressful in the long run.  I have a variety of medical and need adequate rest to be functional. Onyx is already waking me up early by meowing at my bedroom door. (He can't sleep in my room b/c my boyfriend is mildly allergic to cats.) Finances are also tight right now. I do work from home so that helps with companionship. 

I guess my question boils down to: how much extra time, money, and work would a second cat add? If it is advisable to get one, do you have any age/sex suggestions? Thank you for your insights!

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think all cats, especially kittens need one of their own kind for companionship. to play, cuddle and groom and keep each other company when you aren't home or are sleeping. obviously you will have to spend a little more for food and vet care but i think the pros outweigh the cons and they are so fun to watch when they play together!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that HATE each other, they have to be rotated in the house and garage. They would both like to be only cats, so if money is tight stick to one! There is no guarantee they will like each other, mine don't after 5 years. Vet bills and flea treatments and canned food is expensive for two cats. My girl cat is stressed out by the big male who chases her and roughs her up! He is kept in a bedroom and let out when I put her in garage.

Last edited:

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no real extra time involved. If you are going to do it do it when both are kittens. The money issue really comes up after they get older and need medical more care not really now. I adopted a male and then a female kitten and they got along just fine. Another cat will help somewhat with onyx's stickiness to you but nothing will fix the "let me in" disease when faced with a closed door at night only ear plugs will solve that problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your opinions. Bonepicker, that's exactly my fear. :(

piakay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted one kitten at 10 weeks old and when she was about four months old we adopted another ten week old kitten (male). It was definitely tough in the beginning, they didn't hit it off immediately and for a good couple of months we wondered if we should have stuck to one. We also found that the amount of time we spent on cat-related stuff doubled because we had to play with/entertain both of them separately since they wouldn't play in the same room during the first few weeks we had both together. Vet and food bills are also obviously higher. We got the second kitten checked out at the vet before we allowed them total exposure to each other but they still both ended up with a couple bouts of diarrhea which meant we had to spend double on testing, consultations, meds, etc. We feed them a combo of raw and wet so food gets quite expensive.

Despite that I'd say that overall we are happy with the two. It's so fun watching them play together - about once or twice a day they'll both get the kitty crazies and will take tuns chasing each other around the house. It's hilarious!  They both seem to enjoy playing with each other more than with the interactive wand toys, etc. which is good for us because running around with a mouse on a stick gets old after about ten minutes :). They also seem to enjoy just sitting together (although they don't cuddle) and seem to have a bit of a routine. They do still fight from time to time just because the younger male wants to play more often and more roughly and the female gets annoyed with him. 

I think the older one is more of a people cat and the younger one a cat's cat, it's all kind of luck of the draw when you're adding a second! 

Our vet recommended we foster at first to see whether the cats liked each other, we went straight to adoption instead and I do think if we had fostered we probably wouldn't have been so patient in allowing the time for their relationship to grow and would likely not have kept the second cat.  

Just to add that our older cat is quite clingy and vocal, she definitely requires more attention than the younger one and we both kind of assume that she would be even more clingy if it weren't for the other cat. 

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
@Lizcat, did the SPCA say whether Onyx enjoyed being around other cats or not? Was he caged by himself, with a buddy or was he Ina play group?

Most cats do enjoy the company of another. You having had Onyx for only 3 weeks and the fact that he is young means you are more likely to have an introduction go well. If you do want add another cat, do it sooner rather than later.

I find that male cats bond more like buddies whereas male-females tend to have a more brother/sister type bond (they can both enjoy and aggravate each other all in the same day.) So, I would be more apt to suggest you get another male. One that is close in age to Onyx and one that has a similar disposition.

As for your other questions...
A second cat (once introduced and integrated) doesn't necessarily add in a whole lot more time. But definitely adds in extra cuddles!

The work...
Well, this really varies on the cats. The introduction/integration time may require more work. Typically 1-3 weeks; but, it can take some cats months to adapt. Others, it's a matter of hours or days. After that, it's really not anymore work than having 1. Actually, it may be less work if they entertain each other.

Finances...
Think about annual visits. Does your vet charge 2 exam fees if you bring both cats in at the same time? Or, do they offer a discount for the second?
What type of food do you feed? Do you free-feed dry or feed canned-only at timed meals? You will likely need double the amount of food you currently use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Lizcat, did the SPCA say whether Onyx enjoyed being around other cats or not? Was he caged by himself, with a buddy or was he Ina play group?

Most cats do enjoy the company of another. You having had Onyx for only 3 weeks and the fact that he is young means you are more likely to have an introduction go well. If you do want add another cat, do it sooner rather than later.

I find that male cats bond more like buddies whereas male-females tend to have a more brother/sister type bond (they can both enjoy and aggravate each other all in the same day.) So, I would be more apt to suggest you get another male. One that is close in age to Onyx and one that has a similar disposition.

As for your other questions...
A second cat (once introduced and integrated) doesn't necessarily add in a whole lot more time. But definitely adds in extra cuddles!

The work...
Well, this really varies on the cats. The introduction/integration time may require more work. Typically 1-3 weeks; but, it can take some cats months to adapt. Others, it's a matter of hours or days. After that, it's really not anymore work than having 1. Actually, it may be less work if they entertain each other.

Finances...
Think about annual visits. Does your vet charge 2 exam fees if you bring both cats in at the same time? Or, do they offer a discount for the second?
What type of food do you feed? Do you free-feed dry or feed canned-only at timed meals? You will likely need double the amount of food you currently use.
The SPCA tested him and he got on fine with other cats. I'll have to ask the vet about their visit cost/policy. I feed Science Diet dry (free feed) and wet Friskies twice a day (morning and night).  Honestly, Onyx is my first cat. I'm doing my best to keep him happy while holding onto what's left of my sanity (I'm a writer. Not supposed to be sane ;) )

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad would love to get rid of my second cat, who is a big boy. He bites and hogs up a whole bedroom. But I told my dad it would be a death sentence, no one wants a biter. I rescued him at 4 weeks, no signs of a mom. He never learned the social graces, and he is big and rough! The bottom one is the bad boy who is more than twice the size of the female!

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Based on what you have said, if you are financially able (and want another kitten) I'd say go for it. Just talk with the SPCA about Onyx and let them guide you in who might be a good match for him. Then see who you bond with.

meowlifestyle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree I think cats and dogs really enjoy to have their own kind as company. I had my cat for 2 years before I realized he needed another cat. My neighbors said he would cry and cry at the door until I came home. So I brought home a kitten, introduced them gradually. The first 5 days took time, energy and patience. But they are now best friends. The way they groom, play, wrestle with each other are things I could never do with him.

Usually the sooner you get a new cat and the younger it is the easier it is. My cat no longer cries at the door when I'm gone :-)