Second cat?

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my current cat, Ciaran, a few years ago and planned to get him a buddy prior starting my medical internship so he would have some companionship while I'm working long hours. Anyway, I unexpectedly was acquired by a second cat ahead of schedule last summer who we lost earlier this spring. Now that I'm back down to one cat I'm uncertain as to whether Ciaran would really benefit from a companion. On the one hand, he has a history of playing well with other cats but on the other he seemed relatively indifferent about Cricket--to be fair, a fair amount of that was her doing as she rebuffed his friendly overtures in the beginning. So, basically I'm on the fence: is a feline buddy advisable when the human has to work long hours?

southbound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to leave any of my cats without feline companionship but I like a lot of cats around.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really depends on the cat.  Some are just fine when they are alone.  Others prefer company at a distance and still others want a companion to play with.  So in one regard; it's up to you!

One thing to consider is having enough time to introduce another kitty.  Introductions can take weeks to months for some cats.  If your schedule picks up at certain points; I'd want to work around that as a precaution.  

Good luck with your decision! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He definitely prefers not to be alone all day, but I'm not sure whether feline companionship will be make a difference or if it's really matter of missing human contact in particular. (to be clear, we're talking about being gone for a 10-12 hour work day, not frequent multi-day trips or anything).