Second cat?

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In January of 2013 during a raging blizzard I was making cookies in my kitchen when I heard the most awful meows. Upon some investigation, I found a tiny male kitten frozen to our patio. I had to get hot water to get him off the step. I took him to the vet the next day, he had eye infections, lung infection as well as frost bite on his ears, tail and feet. We had intended to nurse him back to health, then find him a new home... But then we fell in love and he's still here. My question is this- I'm getting married in a couple months, and we just bought a house. The cat is used to having someone home during the day, but now due to a change in circumstance he will be alone during the day. I have been considering getting him a play mate. Someone suggested that when we move it may be a good time to introduce a new cat, since our cat won't have territory staked out in the new house. Thoughts?

Also, our cat is... Interesting. He isn't affectionate, but follows me around the house and sleeps at my feet. He gets along fine with our dog, but plays really rough. For this reason, I'm thinking a kitten may not be the best choice. I've never seen any indication of aggressive tendancies, but I'm afraid he would hurt a kitten simply through his rough nature. Looking for suggestions on choosing/introducing a new animal in the mix!

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am one who always thinks a cat would like a buddy. When I got Luna to be Zoey's buddy, Zoey HATED her at first, but after a while she came around and they get along great now, and certainly keep each other entertained. Zoey is about 15mons and Luna is 6mons. Zoey was always climbing on shelves and knocking things over and since I got Luna I no longer come home and find my house destroyed.

I would say that when you move it would be the perfect time. I would also recommend getting a cat close in age to your cat. If you're worried about him being rough with a kitten, someone closer to his age would be able to stick up for their self. I have had success with all gender pairings (m/f, m/m/ f/f), but some people say a m/m pairing is easiest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! It's a lot to think about for sure.

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are your thoughts on when to get the second cat? Should we wait and let our current cat get settled first? Or bring them both to the new house the same time?

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters as long as you keep them separate and do slow introductions.

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So how would I go about that? Keep them in separate parts of the house?

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People usually create a "safe room" for the new cat, with food, water, litterbox, places to sleep, toys etc and get the cats use to smelling each other under the door first and then slowly move into the process

this article explains it--

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

With Luna I put her in my extra bedroom, and I honestly did keep her separate for two weeks, but for me Zoey was not at all hostile, she was scared of luna. so i would hold Luna on the couch a lot and let Zoey come to her!

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So maybe we should move in our current resident first? An acquaintance of mine has a beautiful cat she's looking for a home for. He's eight months old and not neutered, is this a problem?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If you think this kitten would be a good match for your current cat, I say go for it. I would highly suggest having the new cat neutered ASAP because the longer her goes intact, the more likely he is to begin spraying. It is also possible for problems to arise between the two cats the longer the 8 mo goes w/o being fixed.

But, I would not let the fact that he is not currently neutered be the only reason you do not adopt him. Perhaps the current owner would go ahead and neuter the kitten if you agreed to take him once you move?

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just get him nuetered ASAP so it's bit an issue. I do think its a good idea if brink gong him into the family coincides with moving to the new place. So territory isn't claimed, but I'm not sure it matters that much. Males are not as territorial as females in my experience.

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anything else I should do, or check on before introducing him to our existing cat?