Sebastian Update

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well friday was the night that my Aunt dropped off Sebastian. I was worried like a nut all night about how Fae was going to react, and how i was going to help them get along. My fiance told me time and time again to relax, it would be fine.

We werent positive how we were going to handle the introductions. We were debating doing it the slow and confined way, or just leaving the desision based on the cats behavior with eachother.

Fae being the nosey fluff ball that she is made up our minds for us. When my aunt came to the door i asked Jeff to take a hold of Fae, then i went to let her and Sebastian in. She had tons of things for the cats in her car so she just put his carrier down on the kitchen floor. i sat beside him and talked softly...then up walks miss Fae, queen of the house.

I was preparing for the Furr wars but she completely astonished me

She walked up to Sebastians carrier, no hissing, no growling, no fur fluffing, and first just sniffed his nose, then tried to LICK his nose, then stuck her paw in the carrier.

We brought sebastian into our office where he will be sleeping until he adjusts and let him out of the carrier...Fae was right behind him like she just found the love of her life.

Unfortunately, Sebastian is terrified of her and wont come down to the floor when she is around. the whole weekend she only hissed at him once, after he hissed at her and batted at her with his paw.

He is eating very well, and so very affectionate with us, but afriad of Fae. She just lays in the office with him on a chair across the room patiently waiting for him to play. She doesnt get in his face ACCEPT when he is on the floor (She follows him like, pardon the expression, a love sick puppy)

I dont know how to help him come along. He spends most of his time in the window with his blankets or on the very top of his cat tree. I know Fae just wishes to be friends because she is quite capable of climbing but never climbs up the tree when he is there or into the window with him. She is giving him his space, but its pretty slow going. We cant wait until they get along so Sebastian can join the family.

For now we leave the door to his room open accept when he is eating or when we are not there. Fae goes in and out of that room, but doesnt bother him. When we want him to come off the windowsill or tree we close the door.

Is it better to bring them face to face? or allow him to sit all day in the window and not face her? i dont know how to help him get used to her so he can comfortably explore the rest of his new home!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will just take time.
It is amazing how long it can take for a cats true personality to come out after adopting them. Perhaps you can put Fae in a room and let Seb walk around the house without her being all nosey about what he is doing.

Sounds like things are going really well though.
Fae sounds like how Fiona was when I got ReeRee. She liked to watch him too and followed him around to see what he was up to. He was an oblivious kitten though and didn't mind this.
Obstacle number one overcome! If the resident cat likes the new guy that is HUGE!

Just something I noticed with Rocko: on hindsight (now knowing how he really is) he seemed to be shut down somewhat. He was passive and seemed aloof with the other cats. He just did his own thing. Made himself right at home by finding spots around the apartment where he felt safe.

Over time though he has slept with both of them and shared in grooming. He also plays with them both now and can get quite frisky.
Looking back he just needed time to open up and feel safe. I gave him his space and didn't force affection on him or interaction with the cats. He is now one of the crew!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oodlesofpoodles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the insight. Sebastian is doing better each day...Unfortunately she did scratch Fae last night
. She is okay...i think her feelings were more hurt than she was herself.

I will have the hubby to be put fae in the bedroom today. and try and see if Sebastian will come out of the office.