Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Poppy had appetite problems there always seemed a random element. She'd be OK with a particular food, and then maybe a month later she'd reject it. There did seem to be some consistency in that if she rejected new food off the bat she'd never be that enthusiastic about it later--but she still might be enticed to eat one or two meals of it.

catmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For cats who like meaty texture non pate Natures Variety Pride is good. My cat likes the Rockstar rabbit . canned that you can get at Petco.That and Weruva Paw lickin chicken and Funk in the Trunk Cat in the Kitchen line of Weruva. Always a favorite.There are others by these  companies but they contain fish that I try to steer clear of. Funk in the Trunk does have fish with the chicken.The Petco Soulistic brand is good in that it doesn't have potato starch-tapioca. in some of them.Potao starch can cause problems with IBS cats.You have to read each type to check ingredients.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GoHolistic, I hope Sebastian gets back on track. I've followed this thread from the beginning. A while back you mentioned the kind of water you gave your cats. I can't remember what it was. I'd like to try it with my cats. Hugs and prayers for you and Sebastian.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you find the right combination of things to help Sebastian.  So much of this is trial and error.  I haven't tried any of the Vitality Science products but I have heard really good things about them.  I understand your vet being careful with the digestive enzymes.  From what I have read with Pancreatitis they can help but they can also make things worse.  Some more of the trial and error, what works for one cat makes things worse for another cat thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. 
  I'm just having a difficult time this week interpreting Sebastian's behavior. It's not so clear cut. I can't tell if he doesn't feel well or if he doesn't like the canned rabbit anymore (or if he doesn't like this particular case of it).

He acts hungry (once he's up and has his meds) and is eating, but he's slow to eat the wet food and I have to keep showing it to him and encouraging him. I feed him in 1/8 can increments. He'll start eating it no problem (not sniff and walk away like he has done in the past when he was nauseous). But about halfway through, he'll shake his head (as if to shake the food out of his mouth) and walk away. This makes me think he doesn't like the food. A couple times he proceeded to go upstairs before finishing and just sat in the meatloaf position, which makes me think he doesn't feel well. He's alert and walking around. He's grooming. He even attempted to play a little this morning with the fabric belt of my sweater. I'm getting mixed signals and I'm confused. Perhaps the Cerenia is downplaying his nausea to a point where it is tolerable. 

@Roxie, I buy reverse osmosis purified water in the gallon jug. Nothing fancy...just the grocery store brand. I put this in their water fountain and use it when I add water to their wet food. No more tap water for internal use. 

@Denice, yes, the mixed opinions on digestive enzymes was why I was always hesitant to add them to his regime. I've also read that some of them aren't all that palatable, and turning Sebastian off from his food is the last thing I want to do. The plant enzymes may be okay. The animal pancreatic enzymes may be a problem. So far I've tried Luxolite on Boo and Caesar when they weren't feeling well and by the morning they were all spunky and ready for a meal. But like you said, it's all trial and error. I would just have to try it on Sebastian and see what happens.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about Sebastian, and this would complicate things. But Lazlo gets bored of food quickly. That's why I rotate his proteins so frequently. I know you're on a novel protein diet. Overall, has it benefited him that you can see?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Sebastian, and this would complicate things. But Lazlo gets bored of food quickly. That's why I rotate his proteins so frequently. I know you're on a novel protein diet. Overall, has it benefited him that you can see?
Well, it's hard to say. I really can't say for sure how it may or may not be helping with his pancreatitis and/or IBD because we started the special diet at the same time as the prednisolone. I've noticed that the scratching at his face and the rash that used to come and go on his ear have not returned since starting him on the rabbit diet. But again, the steroid could be helping with this, too. 

I decided to hold off on the cooked rabbit for a few days. I froze it fresh in small individual containers and will try again this weekend...knowing the vet will reopen on Monday (just in case). @Raintyger will appreciate this logistical forethought. 

For the first time since Monday night (the night I gave him the cooked rabbit), Sebastian ate very well last night and this morning and the canned rabbit didn't seem to bother him at all. He ate it up no problem. So I don't know. He's making me crazy. 
  I'm not trying to say the cooked rabbit made him not feel well; I'm just presenting observational facts. He was fine all last weekend and Monday. On Monday night I gave him a little freshed cooked rabbit (the ONLY change in his routine). Starting Tuesday morning and for the next two days, he was acting funny. Thursday night seems to be back to "normal." (knock wood)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Patches still has those occasional off times even with no changes.   As long as he is still eating some and not vomiting, I just wait it out.   Patches problems with his ears started while he was on a steroid.  He didn't have a rash but he developed a yeast infection with itchy ears.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks GoHolistic for the water tip. They've been drinking the water out of the faucet. I'm not sure it's safe for me to drink it, much less my cats! Glad Sebastian is back to eating again. Hopefully he will keep it up.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Patches still has those occasional off times even with no changes.   As long as he is still eating some and not vomiting, I just wait it out.   Patches problems with his ears started while he was on a steroid.  He didn't have a rash but he developed a yeast infection with itchy ears.
Yes, I'm finding this happens with Sebastian, too, and I've got to wait it out. During these off times, sometimes I'll increase the fluids to every day if they're being absorbed and that seems to help him along faster. So you think the fact that Sebastian's ears cleared up was more from the special diet, then?

Sure thing, Roxie, and thanks.

I took one small piece of cooked rabbit out of the freezer and I'm nervous about giving it to him tonight. 
  We'll see!

As I mentioned previously, Sebastian has gained weight, probably over a whole pound by now (up from 11.12). Once he hits that 13 pound mark, I may have to start watching his caloric intake. It was never really a concern for me these past several months because he had lost so much weight in a short period of time. The steroid was started in September, and even for the first month on the steroid, he would eat all the time and still lost weight. But all that changed in November and all of sudden he started gaining weight. The main change was the introduction of fish oil for omega-3s. I read that omega-3s are good for malabsorption issues, so maybe it really helped in that respect. 
  I calculated his current caloric intake and it's at 282 calories a day (when he's eating well and feeling good). Whoa! This doesn't even include calories or fat from his supplements (i.e., fish oil). Even at 282 calories, he will still ask for more food, but I tell him he's had enough. I'm concerned that if I reduce the amount I'm feeding him, he will cry for food and be hungry all the time (when he's being normal). 
  Not sure I have much of a choice, though. I want him to be healthy, and that includes not enabling him to become overweight.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've just come to realization that Sebastian is having a mild flare that has been "simmering" for the past couple of weeks. The first week of December is when I noticed a lot of stool and he had vomited a clear liquid a few times right before or after defecating, but his appetite was still good. The second week in December is when it really seemed to affect his appetite, and this occurred right after feeding him the cooked rabbit. I'm still not sure if the cooked rabbit should be blamed as the "cause" of it, however. I guess we won't really know. This week was the same thing. His appetite and demeanor are on and off.

Unfortunately, the "simmer" just turned into a "slow boil" by this morning. 
  Last night he needed lots of encouragement to eat dinner. This morning I had great difficulty getting him to eat breakfast. I knew he was off, so I increased the Cerenia. He did eat a little, but them proceeded to run away and go into position to vomit. I could see the motions starting, but I distracted him. Luckily, it was enough that he still didn't vomit by the time I left for work, but he was licking his lips and sitting in the meatloaf position. I hope he was able to keep it down (as well as the meds he received), and that I don't come home to the worst.

I called the vet since I'm getting nervous about the holidays coming up and their limited hours. I became sad by the discussion we had. She said I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing. The only thing we haven't done is up the pred. She wants to wait as long as possible before needing to do this because it is our last line of defense. She said there may come a point when we can no longer control this. 
  This is not what any pet parent wants to hear, and I fear what lies ahead.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry Sebastian is sick again.  Often with this stuff you just have to keep going with what you're doing and hope for the best.  Don't start thinking the worst.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but pancreatitis in cats can flare up just because. I can understand looking for precipitating factors, though. I'm sorry he's having a rough time. You as well.

:vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening again.  I know how hard to try with him.  It's got to be SO frustrating

for Bastie

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope Sebastian is feeling better by now. I know you're frustrated and nobody wants to hear the vet say it may get out of control. Hang in there.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support.
  I hope you all had lovely holiday. 

Last weekend when Sebastian wasn't feeling well, the doc said it would be okay to up the pred a little, but just for a couple days. I'm not sure if pred works like this. Will it help to increase pred for just a couple of days? Or does pred need more time to work?  
  She said we could go to 7.5 mg, but wants to use the lowest effective dose, so I tried 6.125 mg, which is one whole pill and another 1/4 of a pill. I did this on Saturday and Sunday. By late Sunday night, he seemed to be feeling much better. He couldn't get the Cerenia because he is off of Cerenia on the weekends. This makes me wonder if the pred should be increased slightly on the weekends to make up for the loss of the Cerenia. Not sure how effective this would be...

Also, what I've learned is that when Sebastian is walking away from the RC rabbit wet food before finishing, it's not the food. When he's feeling good, he will meow for it and eat it happily and readily. Going forward, I think this understanding will help me not waste time questioning the food when it's not the food. I need to treat him when he's walking away from it.

ETA: Sorry, my math was off. One whole pred plus another 1/4 is 6.25 mg (not 6.125). Duh.

Last edited:

lindau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
soo sorry about your baby,I will keep him in my prayers,I feed my  kitties Blue, let us know how Sebastian is doing?

hugsssssssssssss

linda in Texas