Seasonal Depression?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with seasonal depression in cats and can talk about their symptoms?

We have long thought Nobel may have it, but in 2020, 2021 Nobel had "shiny new kittens" to worry about. We didn't see any signs or symptoms those winters.

This winter, he got sad and withdrawn again. We risked putting up our Yule tree and lights and, now he's happy and purring and attention-seeking again. (2020 - tree. 2021 - no tree) This usually solves the problem for December, and we've been known to leave it up through to February because if we take it down, he gets sad again.

I thought at first his arthritis was bugging him so I was offering him medication while he was sad, but he was generally refusing it (he takes the syringe agreeably these days). Now he's hobbling around and took his full dosage yesterday. The sun has also been out for 3 days again, but he perked up a few days before that with the tree. Heat has been the same during sad and happy times.

His bloodwork was fine at last check, "beautiful" for his age. He comes due for his next 6 months bloodwork in Jan. No FLUTD flares for the last 5 years and litter behaviour has remained normal. He has lazy bowls from old age and gets Restorilax ever other day.

Theauctions1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just give your fur baby lots of love, play, and attention. Even if he is an older car, perhaps some youtube cat tv might help him perk up and see something new. Cats are very resilient and intelligent sentient creatures. They easily pick up on our human worries, and yes, its not the easiest of times for humans, let alone cats seeing and feeling so much uncertainty and similar energy. Give him a hug during a quiet part of the day, and assure him that he is family and will always be loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just give your fur baby lots of love, play, and attention. Even if he is an older car, perhaps some youtube cat tv might help him perk up and see something new. Cats are very resilient and intelligent sentient creatures. They easily pick up on our human worries, and yes, its not the easiest of times for humans, let alone cats seeing and feeling so much uncertainty and similar energy. Give him a hug during a quiet part of the day, and assure him that he is family and will always be loved.
Thank you. He has lots of enrichment, he doesn't like TV though. We've been bringing him to where we are sometimes, and he always has a bed next to us during work or downstairs time. Nothing has changed in terms of human stress and both "new" cats have been with us over a year. He did not have this depression in the two years where we had been recently introduced to them. He is good now, but we worry for when we put the tree away.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this, but can you experiment and find out what it is about the tree that helps him? Is it a real tree, and has that (heavenly) fragrance? Is it the lights?

I'm guessing it's the lights, but anyway maybe you could create a smaller version for him so you can put the big tree away when it's time, but still have something for him afterwards 🙂

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this, but can you experiment and find out what it is about the tree that helps him? Is it a real tree, and has that (heavenly) fragrance? Is it the lights?

I'm guessing it's the lights, but anyway maybe you could create a smaller version for him so you can put the big tree away when it's time, but still have something for him afterwards 🙂
It is a faux tree. He's had some real trees there before and no difference. Perhaps the twinkle lights?

Hopefully someone else can give some other ideas too!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Alldara just curious, but do you, or does anyone human in your house, suffer from seasonal depression?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise

I’m guessing it’s the lights as well, as often humans are advised to wear headlamps for seasonal depression. …I wonder a little bit too, could it be an instinctive, semi-hibernation thing? At any rate my cat actively seeks out any available sunlight, at this time of year.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A Alldara just curious, but do you, or does anyone human in your house, suffer from seasonal depression?
I do, but usually in May-June. I love winter and am quite happy when it snows. All humans take vitamin D for prevention of winter blues.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m guessing it’s the lights as well, as often humans are advised to wear headlamps for seasonal depression. …I wonder a little bit too, could it be an instinctive, semi-hibernation thing? At any rate my cat actively seeks out any available sunlight, at this time of year.
They definitely love the sunny days. Our front faces the sun in the morning, so we open the door to the screen to give them extra sunbathing realestate. Then they get an hour or two of sun at the back windows, which hits Nobel's bed, (also where his heater is).

They also really love the snow and watching it fall even if it's grey out. It's warmer when it's snowing, so the birds are active and they get some excellent catTv.

It was very odd, as if his depression started to hit and then we put the tree up and now he's fine.

Furballsmom Furballsmom and iPappy iPappy . I suppose we could try a full spectrum light, or a grow lamp once we take the tree down. We will likely leave it up for January as we'd prefer his happiness.

Photo of him today. Don't mind the messy bed. (Theirs or ours behind it 😂)

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon is usually not her usual self when winter comes. Recently she has been meowing a lot again, but usually she is just content in her catio or sleeping. Now she meows and meows and follows me around, it means she wants to get out, but when she wants out that means I have to carry her like a baby in my arms as we walk outdoors. I do that every morning before I leave for work, and at night before we sleep. Otherwise she would be swatting my face if I fail to do so. I believe winter bores her or whatever, and she needs a distraction of some sort.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Bourbon is usually not her usual self when winter comes. Recently she has been meowing a lot again, but usually she is just content in her catio or sleeping. Now she meows and meows and follows me around, it means she wants to get out, but when she wants out that means I have to carry her like a baby in my arms as we walk outdoors. I do that every morning before I leave for work, and at night before we sleep. Otherwise she would be swatting my face if I fail to do so. I believe winter bores her or whatever, and she needs a distraction of some sort.
That's so lovely! We do this with Magnus, but Nobel does not like being picked up. I was only 16 when I got him, and did not know to socialize him to be handled, other than for nail clipping 😅

I hope Bourbon is feeling better with her outside time.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do, but usually in May-June. I love winter and am quite happy when it snows. All humans take vitamin D for prevention of winter blues.
Interesting! It's like you have the same thing going on, just in reverse seasons.
I also take Vitamin D3 drops in the winter. It really does help.
It's been like 20 years ago but I vaguely remember Dr. Ian Billinghurts using cod liver oil in his home made pet food recipes for dogs and cats. But there was caution as it contains vitamins A and D, and can upset the balance of other nutrients if over used.
I would possibly consider it for my own curiosity (but I've heard some people say they're absolutely worthless) but having a hair sample analyzed for if he has low vitamin D. But that wouldn't explain how it comes and goes over the years and how he's distracted by other things and comes out of his funk.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy hmmm. I mean, it could still make sense..I'll bring it up to the vet next month.

If I'm having some seasonal depression, something exciting could distract me from it a bit. The year we were quarentined and we got to do a full garden, it certainly didn't last as long as it usually does.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We do this with Magnus, but Nobel does not like being picked up. I was only 16 when I got him, and did not know to socialize him to be handled, other than for nail clipping
Bourbon is the only cat I have that likes to be held, cuddled and carried around. We sometimes dance together while she is in my arms. Graham and Barley would not want that. I'd end up with scratch marks if I attempt to do so. Bourbon is also the only one who likes to be brushed daily. When she sees the brush, she runs to me. So endearing and cute.

I hope your cat is better now. We cat parents tend to panic when something seems unfine with any of the kitties.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to give him a full “laying in the sun” experience, try putting a radiant/infrared heater by the bright light lamp - I think the warmth is at least half the reason cats lay in the sun, and it will also tempt him to spend more time by the light.

Also - do you keep your home cooler in the winter? His behavior change could also be in response to temperature, so you might try bumping your thermostat up a few degrees for a few days and see if he feels better.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regarding vitamin D - like many furry carnivores, cats get their vitamin D from their diet, not the sun. I wouldn’t recommend giving him vitamin D unless your vet can test for and confirm a deficiency.

Also, in humans vitamin D is far less effective at treating seasonal depression than bright light. For depression it often doesn’t do any better than a placebo. But for other things like bone health it can be quite important, so humans who supplement to treat vitamin D deficiency are still doing a good thing for their health!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my first Winter with Louise, but I notice that on those cold days with
weak or no sun and she cannot sit on the sunporch, she mopes around and sleeps more than usual .

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
T treeclimber Thanks for the information 🐱 I won't give any suppliments without checking with the vet as he is quite old but doing well.

It's quite warm inside. We are also in a rental where our unit row is heated by hot water heaters. Those pipes run along the ceiling of the basement, which means the ground floor feels like it has heated flooring! 😻

I'll try to order the proper light. We will put it near the heater where the tree is now. The radiator runs along that wall (which is safe because it's hot water and not electric).

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Yes, thanks. He was doing better already the day I wrote the post. No panic here, just a desire to get to the bottom of this!