Seasonal Cat Shedding Question

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So ... we spend a lot on heat and AC because the wife is insistent, so our house is a fairly constant temperature, more or less. I recall our indoor/outdoor shedding more in the heat of true summer, and seem to vaguely recall our past indoor only kitties shedding more in summer as well. Its only March 22nd now, and our 7 month old medium-hair kitten (our first non-shorthair) is shedding A TON in the last week or two! Its crazy! How does her body know what the temperature is outside? Its the same temperature inside (more or less)! Its not even been above 70 outside, just a few days in the 60s.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy is shedding like crazy as well. I don't know how their systems know :dunno: maybe there's a change in humidity? or something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha they moved this from health! But I'm such a dork, I actually want to understand how the heck it is biologically and medically possible for a cat's body to understand its time to shed when we keep the temperature in the house pretty dang constant! I'm not sure this can be answered by the non-medical/scientific types that read this sub-forum (challenge!!! -- go!!!) (and j/k with the sub-forum crack of course!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH! I just thought of this, --I wonder if the changing position of the sun, the lengthening sunlight and longer days, that sort of thing ends up causing an instinctual reaction in cats (and other things like the trees, migratory animals et al)?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine sheds and grows fur according to season. Actual temp doesn't seem to matter. The amount of food he eats follows suit as well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats shedding is no different seasonally. Indoor only. In the winter I usually do not have heat or ac on. In the summer,the ac is on because it is super hot outside! In my one bedroom apt I only have my porch and bedroom window and tiny one in the tiny dining room. My apt is dark

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been having our screened door open for mine to enjoy feeling "outside" a bit, but honestly it's been coldish here so I dunno how my cat's body knows. What DreamerRose said about daylight maybe has a thing to do with it! But we've been dealing with increased hairball issues with Echo. She will eat hair off the floor/cat tree if she finds any and just her general grooming (mid-length coat) brought on a bout of constipation. I found wads of hair in her poo for 3 days in a row. I used tiny dose of Miralax and hairball gel to move things through which made it pretty clear hair has been the issue I think.

I'm trying to get her to be ok with being brushed. She loves it one stroke, and wants to assassinate the brush the next. So it's a work in progress lol! I've heard there are better brushes than the typical one. Looking to try a furminator-style thing because its a de-shedder. Can't wait for that battle :crazy: