Searching for my car Starr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only say that it is a very personal choice, that only you and you alone can make. You can't be swayed by the opinion of others, as that could lead to you resenting them down the road, even if you don't think about that right now. And you need to let them know that. There is no easy answer, it has to come from your heart and mind.

I've seen where the OPs on this site just stopped posting, and I am sure that likely means they lost hope and proceeded forward with their lives. I don't know if it means they stopped altogether searching or what might have happened. I have also seen posts where the cat showed up months later and we were lucky enough to receive a post about it.

I am sure that the intense searches became less intense over time - maybe that is something for you to consider as you move forward. It's all about balance.
Thanks for your wise words

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: There's been a sighting of Star on a nearby street! Someone was working out in his garage around 10PM, and she darted into the garage and startled him. He dropped his weights and she ran away. Now I have a volunteer from a search group helping me set up a trap tonight. Wish me luck everyone!

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've set up a trap & camera on someone's porch for a couple nights in a row. Got a gray tabby the first night, and a gigantic raccoon that peed everywhere the second (raccoon piss smells even worse than cat pee IMHO).

Sadly the property-owner asked me to remove the set-up, so now I have to find someone else who'd let me trap on their property. Meanwhile, there's been no sightings of Star on camera.

I've given out hundreds of flyers and posters and talked to probably 100 people. The search continues.

I am also moving later in Aug, so there's definitely time pressure. While my parents will continue to live in this city, they're not able to follow up on cat sightings the way I can. The only people helping me are some women from local missing pet search organizations, and it's mostly virtual support.

I'm hosing off raccoon pee in the middle of the night. To me this is just my life now. :lol:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've set up a trap & camera on someone's porch for a couple nights in a row. Got a gray tabby the first night, and a gigantic raccoon that peed everywhere the second (raccoon piss smells even worse than cat pee IMHO).

Sadly the property-owner asked me to remove the set-up, so now I have to find someone else who'd let me trap on their property. Meanwhile, there's been no sightings of Star on camera.

I've given out hundreds of flyers and posters and talked to probably 100 people. The search continues.

I am also moving later in Aug, so there's definitely time pressure. While my parents will continue to live in this city, they're not able to follow up on cat sightings the way I can. The only people helping me are some women from local missing pet search organizations, and it's mostly virtual support.

I'm hosing off raccoon pee in the middle of the night. To me this is just my life now. :lol:
I am so sorry everything, all of your efforts, persistence, time, etc isn't helping.. and poor raccoon was probably like what in the world just happened I'm stuck hahaha
I had a pet raccoon as a kid, saw him near his momma who had been hit by a car we stopped and bottle fed him he even saw my parents vet (not supposed to have raccoons and deer and such where we lived our personal vet would come to the house)
Anyway I really hope she comes home before you go..

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a week since Star was sighted. I've not been about to get her on camera, or receive another confirmed sighting. I have been able to catch another raccoon, and clean the trap of raccoon piss.

I'm dealing with neighbors who are not cat-friendly, that is turning into a major obstacle. I have some sense of where Star might be, and I'm pretty sure she's alive and hiding/living under or near someone's house. My challenge is asking for, and getting permission from homeowners to search, and/or to leave a camera and trap.

I'm finding that since neighbors are quite unfriendly/suspicious, and many don't want someone searching. I've read an account of a cat that was found months after escape. What struck me was not only the persistence, but the number of people who were involved in finally securing her.

I feel very alone in the process. I have friends and family, as well as lost pet volunteers supporting. Yet, I'm the only one on the ground. I'm really finding that I need help with liaising with neighbors, with setting up camera and food while I'm away. I'm going to a wedding out of province for a week, and going to be working full-time after that.

I want to remain hopeful, yet I feel hopeless, anxious and scared. I believe Star is out there, and at the same time, I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of looking you her. I'm going to try to enjoy time away, and look into possibly organizing a search party after getting back, or somehow organizing people who are looking out for her.

I've also felt encouraged and warmed by strangers and neighbors who offered support. The local print shop offered free fliers. People have texted me to tell me they are looking for her. Neighbors tell me they are looking too. I'm just unsure of how up coordinate everyone into a concerted efforts, so we are making the best use of our time and efforts.

Suggestions and encouragement, as well as validation for taking time away, are encouraged! 😸

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance any of these strangers and/or neighbors who offered support know/are friends with some of the neighbors that aren't as cooperative? Any of the lost pet supporters themselves, or who might have contacts, that would be willing to approach these not so helpful neighbors? Maybe any of them that have proof of their role/organization could go with you to these neighbors and ask to search their property? Conversing with some of them might actually lead them to be more willing to help out.

If you can get any of the above rolling, maybe someone can coordinate efforts in your absence?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance any of these strangers and/or neighbors who offered support know/are friends with some of the neighbors that aren't as cooperative? Any of the lost pet supporters themselves, or who might have contacts, that would be willing to approach these not so helpful neighbors? Maybe any of them that have proof of their role/organization could go with you to these neighbors and ask to search their property? Conversing with some of them might actually lead them to be more willing to help out.

If you can get any of the above rolling, maybe someone can coordinate efforts in your absence?
Excellent advice- it is certainly the case in many situations that when someone from a legitimate organization can present identification and validation to confirm their reasons for requesting permission from uncooperative " neighbors" they usually have a much different response,not very different than they would respond to an authoritative figure...... it's definitely worth a try.Also,it's worth a try to ask your local police department if they can help talking to the neighbor that owns the house you believe the cat is under.

Cats are considered " property" according to the Law,I'd imagine if your "property" is on someone else's property then you can a right to collect your property.....it cannot hurt to ask,most policeman do know how to talk to people as a liason to diffuse conflict without resulting in resentment from the unco-operative party.....

Many many years ago I had an animal hating neighbor who threatened to harm another neighbors cat if it came onto his property- he was under the impression he'd be within his rights..... big surpise,he was told if he harmed that cat he would be arrested and they would look to prosecute as it's a criminal offense..... from that moment on the fellow called my friend every single time he saw the cat,he was terrified something might happen to it and he'd be falsely accused,lol

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Someone, a volunteer for a missing dog search group, did offer to follow up in my absence. I feel consoled. There have been no new sightings of Star since last week. If there are, though, at least someone can respond. I feel grateful through these times that people are kind.

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent advice- it is certainly the case in many situations that when someone from a legitimate organization can present identification and validation to confirm their reasons for requesting permission from uncooperative " neighbors" they usually have a much different response,not very different than they would respond to an authoritative figure...... it's definitely worth a try.Also,it's worth a try to ask your local police department if they can help talking to the neighbor that owns the house you believe the cat is under.

Cats are considered " property" according to the Law,I'd imagine if your "property" is on someone else's property then you can a right to collect your property.....it cannot hurt to ask,most policeman do know how to talk to people as a liason to diffuse conflict without resulting in resentment from the unco-operative party.....

Many many years ago I had an animal hating neighbor who threatened to harm another neighbors cat if it came onto his property- he was under the impression he'd be within his rights..... big surpise,he was told if he harmed that cat he would be arrested and they would look to prosecute as it's a criminal offense..... from that moment on the fellow called my friend every single time he saw the cat,he was terrified something might happen to it and he'd be falsely accused,lol
Yes, homeowners have been a bit more receptive to her than to me. She might also know others in the neighborhood who can keep an eye out. Right now it's just getting sightings that seems to be difficult.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes it is elderly resoondmðx
Yes, homeowners have been a bit more receptive to her than to me. She might also know others in the neighborhood who can keep an eye out. Right now it's just getting sightings that seems to be difficult.
How are you and Luna doing? I know this whole time has been rough ok you and Luna.
Have you been trying to take time for yourself staying hydrated, eating healthy, talking to someone when/if needed. You are an amazing person. We all know you have been doing anything and everything trying to find Starr and bring her home.
Please don't feel bad when it comes time to move.. you really have been giving this your all.
We are all here for you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you are having a bad day. We're here to support you through this trying time.
Try to keep your head up and if you haven't yet, then start taking care of yourself. If you have been keep doing so.
You truly are an amazing person. Luna is greatful for you and Starr and Luna both love you so much. Never forget that.

Starrlight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is elderly resoondmðx

How are you and Luna doing? I know this whole time has been rough ok you and Luna.
Have you been trying to take time for yourself staying hydrated, eating healthy, talking to someone when/if needed. You are an amazing person. We all know you have been doing anything and everything trying to find Starr and bring her home.
Please don't feel bad when it comes time to move.. you really have been giving this your all.
We are all here for you. Don't hesitate to reach out if you are having a bad day. We're here to support you through this trying time.
Try to keep your head up and if you haven't yet, then start taking care of yourself. If you have been keep doing so.
You truly are an amazing person. Luna is greatful for you and Starr and Luna both love you so much. Never forget that.
Thank you. I'm amazed by what some kind words from another cat-lover on the internet can do.

I have not yet been about to find Star. Meanwhile, I've moved and started a new job and Luna is hiding under the couch in a new house.

I'm considering adopting a kitten to keep her company. Not sure if she's lonely or I am haha.

I did a last run of fliers in my old neighborhood in case someone's seen Star. But apart from a possibly sighting early August, without pictures, there's been no sighting of Star.

She's quite distinct looking, especially with her collar. The Aug sighting person said he saw her with the collar. If he's right, then she's not far, and she doesn't appear to have been taken in by someone.

She could still be lurking nearby, or could've traveled. It's impossible to say. There's been no more sightings, and there's never been a sighting with photo confirmation. I can only imagine she's very adept at hiding.

She's also very good at hunting. I imagine there's a lot of mice in a residential neighborhood to keep her satisfied. She might have found a deck or something to nest under. I worry about her with the winter approaching, because the city's known for cold winters and large dumps of snow.

But I'm also trying to cope, to continue having a life. That might include a new kitten in the next while, or it might not. I'm trying my best to live with the uncertainty.

I'm hoping that Star would return to my old house one day, when my parents are not expecting her. But if not, I'm hoping that I can move on.

Thank you all for reading and coming along for the journey. I'd love to create art in the form of a comic or graphic story about Star, or how she came to be in my life. It may take me months. But when and if I complete it, I will post it here for all to read.

Thanks again! <3

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm amazed by what some kind words from another cat-lover on the internet can do.

I have not yet been about to find Star. Meanwhile, I've moved and started a new job and Luna is hiding under the couch in a new house.

I'm considering adopting a kitten to keep her company. Not sure if she's lonely or I am haha.

I did a last run of fliers in my old neighborhood in case someone's seen Star. But apart from a possibly sighting early August, without pictures, there's been no sighting of Star.

She's quite distinct looking, especially with her collar. The Aug sighting person said he saw her with the collar. If he's right, then she's not far, and she doesn't appear to have been taken in by someone.

She could still be lurking nearby, or could've traveled. It's impossible to say. There's been no more sightings, and there's never been a sighting with photo confirmation. I can only imagine she's very adept at hiding.

She's also very good at hunting. I imagine there's a lot of mice in a residential neighborhood to keep her satisfied. She might have found a deck or something to nest under. I worry about her with the winter approaching, because the city's known for cold winters and large dumps of snow.

But I'm also trying to cope, to continue having a life. That might include a new kitten in the next while, or it might not. I'm trying my best to live with the uncertainty.

I'm hoping that Star would return to my old house one day, when my parents are not expecting her. But if not, I'm hoping that I can move on.

Thank you all for reading and coming along for the journey. I'd love to create art in the form of a comic or graphic story about Star, or how she came to be in my life. It may take me months. But when and if I complete it, I will post it here for all to read.

Thanks again! <3
How long ago did you move? It may just be the transition from moving that is causing Luna to be hiding under the couch??

When and if you get a new kitten if you can see if you can bring Luna to meet the kitten. Also try to find one with a similar personality as Luna.
It will probably take a little bit of time to get through an introductory phase. Set the kitten up in its own room as a base camp and just go slowly. That's for a later discussion that the people here on TCS can help with tips to make it as easy a transition for both Luna and the new kitten. We will definitely be there to help.

I am sorry Starr never came home I know you and Luna love her so much and that love will never go away. Keep her in your heart with you wherever you go and just know she truly loved you.

I am happy for your accomplishments. The new job and the move. It's a new chapter of your life that will be full of excitement and adventure.

I am definitely looking forward to you writing the comic or graphic novel that you are going to be making. I definitely can't wait to see and read that. Please don't forget to give little updates.
Again I'm so sorry Starr never came back. You will always have the great memories and love that you will never forget. You and Luna were both lucky to have the time you did with Starr.

Ok hun I'll be keeping an eye out for your updates. Have a good day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending hugs across the miIes, and many wishes for a wonderfuI Iife in your new home. I SO hope that Starr has found a soft pIace to Iand, or that she shows up at your parent's home again. I know you wiII never stop Ioving her, and wishing her safe. I, aIso, wiII be thriIIed to read about her, when you are finished!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending hugs across the miIes, and many wishes for a wonderfuI Iife in your new home. I SO hope that Starr has found a soft pIace to Iand, or that she shows up at your parent's home again. I know you wiII never stop Ioving her, and wishing her safe. I, aIso, wiII be thriIIed to read about her, when you are finished!
Starrlight Starrlight

I second that,my sentiments as well❤Wishing you the very best!