Searching For Food Options For Possible Ibs Cat Who Is Now Thin On One Food

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I will try to keep this short, but I figured some background would help with any advise or comments. It will be longer than I want, since I am stressing.

We have 4 cats. Three are siblings that I trapped as kittens when their mom weaned them and brought them to me (after I had fed her dry food and water when I had no clue she was pregnant). For reference, they are named Tigger, Little One, and Junie-Junie being the only female. I believe that Tigger has IBS but not sure about IBD, as his bouts of diarrhea seem to coincide with change/stress/life events, iike when my daughter moved to college, when we changed bedrooms, when we started bringing in boxes from my mom's when we were trying to sell the house, etc. The fourth cat is Loki. He was my mom's cat, and we took him right before she ended up moving into assisted living.

This post is mostly about Loki, who lived in my mom's bedroom for the 6 or so years she had him (she took him in after apparently he was abandoned after neighbors were evicted from the rental home a couple of doors down). Loki was free fed dry Science Diet when we got him here. My cats were on 90% wet food at the time and on timed feedings, so I knew he could never been incorporated into the home without eating wet. Also, we lost a cat to renal failure before, so I wanted him off the dry. At that time, my cats were eating Nutro, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Weruva (with only the rare treat of fish in the mix). It took me a few months to get Loki to recognize wet food as food, but his first full meal of wet was Nutro minced shrimp and chicken. He has been a foodie ever since, to the point that, when he did finally get run of the house, we have had him steal our food. He has been obsessed with food, and I have wondered if I was feeding enough food to him several times. He was overweight at 12 pounds when we got him, and the change to wet did cause him to lose some weight but not be too thin.

A year ago, due to having to sell my mother's home, we moved my brother and his dog in with us (as my brother had lived with my mom, and you have to take care of family). Unfortunately, this was very stressful for everyone, especially the cats. The dog is young and not well trained and a larger dog, and it was not safe to let the cats out in the house when she was out. We now live in shifts, where the cats get to come out of the two bedrooms they live in when the dog goes to bed. I do work from home and my office is in the bedroom where the three sibling cats are (which has a gated door so they can at least see and hear the people in the rest of the house), but Loki is often confined to my daughter's room alone (though my daughter graduated college and moved back home, she does work part-time). With all the change, the IBS reared its ugly head, and the Weruva flavors now also caused diarrhea, to the point where I was rinsing the gravy off. I started reading about some cats having issues with the gums in foods, and the Instinct line seemed okay--until they the formula change at the end of 2017. Suddenly, I had two cats with basically no food options. For a while, Loki was able to eat the Instinct LID Turkey as his only food, but then he developed constipation (not sure if that was due to the clay in it or just another stress reaction).

Desperate for food to feed the cats, I did some research, looking for something not made in Thailand, as Tiki, Fussy Cat, and Weruva all seemed to cause diarrhea, and I was trying to avoid gums. I read here about some people having good results with Lotus Just Juicy, and since it was close to the boiled chicken and baby food I was feeding to at least feed something that did not cause diarrhea (though I knew I could not feed that for long without the nutrients), I found a store locally that carried it and tried the chicken, pork, and turkey. Thankfully, all four cats have been able to eat it and done well for the last 3 months! With the bouts of diarrhea, Tigger and Loki had both lost weight and were down to 5 pounds (ugh!), after being on Lotus Just Juicy only for 2 months, all four cats were at a better weight (Tigger up to 9 pounds and Loki up to 8).

Unfortunately, Lotus is expensive, and with our college loans for my daughters coming due in months, I started doing trials to find other food options. Also, I have had times where funds were low and I found myself stretching foods, feeding less. In addition, I have been working more and have had times when I only got in 2 meals before collapsing into bed. Because of the high carb content of Lotus Just Juicy (my calculations show it to be 25% on a dry matter basis--someone please correct me if i did that wrong), I think these factors caused Loki to lose weight (in addition to just being a more active cat, as I think he sleeps less than the other three cats and frets more about what he is missing in the house when he is locked up). In addition. Loki is older than my cats. The vet estimate is that he is around 9-10, where my 3 siblings just turned 6. I believe he is at the age where he needs more calories and more protein.

Just FYI, after worrying about Loki's weight, we did take him to the vet Friday. The vet thinks he might be hyperthyroid. We are waiting on blood results. My daughter and I both feel he has not had the behavioral changes, appetite increase (again, he has always been obsessed with food for the 3 years he has been here and on wet food and that is not worse and meals do seem to satisfy him, but the Lotus does not satisfy him as long--which I think is a carb thing)--no yowling, excessive drinking and peeing, etc. that we saw with a previous cat who was hyperthyroid. Also, feeding that cat more never put weight on her, whereas feeding Loki more Lotus without the diarrhea did cause him to gain 3 pounds--which he lost when I reduced his portions/skipped feedings this last two months.

SO, as I sit around worrying about the results of the blood panel that we will get in the morning, I am trying to find a food that will help put weight on Loki with lower carbs, that might not cause diarrhea or constipation (constipation has been so bad on some foods, like the Instinct--even when trying the minced cups--that he has thrown up, and changing back to Lotus always fixes it). I am guessing that Loki really needs about 300 calories a day to maintain the 8 pounds he had, which takes 3 ounces of Lotus three times a day (where my more sedentary cats who sleep more are okay with about 210-220 calories a day to maintain weight at 8-9 pounds). For now, I am trying to feed Loki less of the soup part of the Lotus and make sure he gets 3 meals a day at 3 ounces (measuring it).

I have tried a lot of brands. Several have caused diarrhea in Tigger or Loki or both, some after as little as one bite or a couple of morsels. Maybe I am not being as patient with food transitions as i should be or should be more tolerant of diarrhea, but I do worry about starting a whole inflammatory thing with Tigger or Loki with their history of IBS, since food change can be stressful, I know. Recently, I tried Koha, both the LID pate and the Stew. I had better success with the Stews and would be willing to try them again, especially the duck stew, which has no chickpeas. The LID Koha caused Loki severe constipation and Tigger diarrhea.

I am at the end of my rope and tired of spending so much time studying cat food, trying cat food, returning cat food. I am about to go get some Fancy Feast Classics. At least it is cheap and lower in carbs--no weird veggies. The 3 siblings were on Fancy Feast until Tigger's first IBS flare 4 years ago, where I opted to try "better quality" foods with the Nutro, Weruva, and NV.

I welcome any ideas. I am opting against raw at this time for a couple of reasons. My brother has a compromised immune system, and I am the one who feeds the cats all the time, with my daughter doing it when she is awake and I ask. I work at lot of hours. I also worry about the cats being dependent on one brand of food. I have freaked over whether shipments from Chewy might be a day late and worry about possible recalls in this situation--not to mention worrying about finances.

So sorry about the length of this post. I am stressing over the possible hyperthyroid thing, and stress makes me chatty. LOL! I am not as impressed with the vet we saw as I am with the older one in the practice. I told him why Loki ended up on Lotus, and he basically blew off my comment about possible IBS and brought up an infection, which he then did admit would not get better with food change. Then, when I told him that maybe I was not feeding enough, as Lotus is pretty low-cal, and asked how much Loki should be eating, he admitted he did not know and referred me to reading recommendations on the "bag" after I had said they were on wet food only. I think he was convinced we were dealing with hyperthyroid due to Loki being 9-10 years old.

I hope I get replies and suggestions, especially if you think my food transitions should be slower. Oh, quick question, in the foods that now have green lipped mussels (Koha, Ziwi, Feline Natural, etc.), since that is shellfish, is that the same as feeding fish? Just wondering with all of the talk of hyperthyroid being possible and the possible fish link there.

Thanks for taking time to read this and comment. I promise short posts in the future.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have my sympathy and my admiration for coping well with what sounds like a very trying situation and keeping your patience and sense of humor. All the cats, dogs, and humans in your family are very lucky to have you!

The real experts in this wonderful community may have other suggestions for you, but I'll try to help a little in the meantime.

First, I'll answer the easy question: Finned fish and shellfish are not related. The concerns about PCBs, mercury, and other environmental contaminants in fish don't apply to shellfish; they mostly apply to large finned fish that are high up in the ocean food chain, such as tuna. Also, those who are allergic to shellfish are not necessarily allergic to finned fish, and vice versa.

Now, on to finding some foods that might work for Loki and your other cats. From your post (and please correct me if I got any of this wrong), it sounds like you are seeking a canned food that:
- doesn't contain fish
- is fairly low in carbs and doesn't contain a lot of vegetables or plant-based protein
- doesn't have a lot of gums
- is more affordable than Lotus
- is not one of the brands you've already tried and your cats had problems with: Weruva, Tiki Cat, NV Instinct, Koha LID

For starters, the consensus around here is that Fancy Feast is a pretty good food, and a very good one for the price, as long as you stick to the Classics line. However, many (all?) of the varieties contain some amount of fish, which you are trying to avoid.

Have you tried Rawz canned? It meets all of the requirements on the above list. It's not the most affordable choice, but it's less expensive than Lotus (I have to admit that I didn't realize until just now how pricey Lotus is, at least at Chewy.com, or that the cans are smaller than standard sizes). You can buy it online from one of Rawz's authorized brick-and-mortar stores or ask your local store to order it for you. I bought it in person at a local store in NYC for $2.59 per individual 5.5-ounce can, but I have seen it sold online for a case price that works out to as little as $1.99.

A lower-priced option that I have not tried myself and discovered online just yesterday is the "95%" varieties in Dave's Pet Foods' new Cat's Meow line. They do contain guar gum and cassia gum -- seems it's next to impossible to avoid gums, but I consider them a lesser evil than carrageenan and possibly agar-agar. All the other ingredients look pretty good to me, and they are not full of veggies or veggie-derived proteins. Chewy's case price for the 95% Turkey and Turkey Liver works out to $1.54 per 5.5-ounce can.

My cat eats only pate texture foods, so those are the ones that are on my radar. It sounds like your cats will eat other textures, which may open up a lot of other options for you. If I come across any good candidates for your consideration, I'll post them here.

Good luck with Loki's blood panel results! I hope they bring good news. Meanwhile, remember to breathe :) and please take good care of yourself while you are trying so hard to take care of everyone else. You have to put your own oxygen mask on first before you can help others with theirs, as they say.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! First, bless your heart for working with your cats the way that you have, I wish all cats had someone like you!!
Second, no worries on length of posts - the more info the better :)
Looks like ladylondonderry types faster then I do LOL, so there's a little bit of repeating here in mine...

I don't have info regarding carbs for Lotus. (Just a gentle note which I know you know, you might want to really try and avoid the increase/decrease of weight like you've described - that's hard on a cat's system).

I looked back at your previous posts to try and avoid duplication, so here goes;

WIth your thought of doing a rotation of Lotus to ease the cost, what about commercial raw such as Rad Cat, or Primal frozen nuggets, some fancy feast, some Koha. You could also look at Purina One True Instinct, and Purina Muse.

Oh by the way, if you register with Koha, you'll receive emails of discounts, sales, free shipping et al...
Also, try taking a look at Only Natural Pet - they carry a lot of brands including their own line, plus they too have a lot of sales et al.

The group of crustacea that are mollusks are different than finned fish.

Did you try Merrick Backcountry, or Natural Balance? I don't know where you're located. If you have access to a King Soopers or a Walmart, they both have inexpensive foods, such as Abound, Pet Pride, Luvsome, but all of these do have guar gum. I was going to suggest Tractor Supply's 4Health and Paws and Claws, but both of those have guar gum as well.

Try taking a look at this website; it might be a fresh starting point although it doesn't highlight gums specifically, or menadione.
Pet Food Guide

This website is for IBD, not IBS but may have info for you regarding nutrition if you're not already familiar with it; IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

This below might help if you end up seeing weight loss starting again;
"liver Shake" Recipe For Inappetant Cats

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast is fine. Plenty of us on the site feed it. Have you tried Sheba? The little cups are annoying because they cut my hand, but my cats like it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I also really liked the Lotus Stews but agree they are super expensive! I rotate them in, along with Tiki Cat After Dark line (low calorie but less carbs) with lots of other, less expensive brands.

Pates are the most calorie dense and the best bang for your buck. Rawz has no fillers, and Olive seems to love it, Kasiks (aka First Mate) is another amazing brand with no gums or fillers. Kasiks can be pricey if you buy the smaller cans, but if the kitties like it you can get the 12 oz cans and save some money.

I also like Life’s Abundance, it’s a Chicken Pate (only available from their website). It does have Guar Gum but no real fillers.

Do your cats do well on Pate, or do they prefer the stews?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the vet specifically diagnosed your cat with IBS / IBD / other gastrointestinal issue? If not, that's the first thing to do in order for you and the vet to come up with a treatment plan including diet options. If your vet just blows off your concerns, seek out another vet.

Cats with IBS / IBD often have low levels of B12 which causes inadequate absorption of nutrients which leads to weight loss. The vet has to do a specific blood test for B12 levels and it won't hurt to do regular CBD / chem blood work as well to get an overall look at the cat's health. Low B12 levels are treated with injections of B12. Frequency and dose will be determined by the vet. You can give B12 injections at home.

Probiotics and digestive enzymes can be helpful to all cats, especially those with IBS / IBD. Most vets don't have a clue about probiotics and digestive enzymes so don't expect much advice from the vet. Here's n article about using probiotics: Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

Two web sites with more info on treating IBS / IBD:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Generally you want to feed a bland novel protein diet with few to no fillers like veggies and gums. Here are some that are typically recommended:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
[URL='https://thecatsite.com/threads/single-novel-protein-grain-free-wet-not-raw-food-help.346047/']Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!

Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food
Recs For Low-carb, Grain-free Pork Without Chicken Or Fish?[/URL]
[URL='https://thecatsite.com/threads/recs-for-low-carb-grain-free-pork-without-chicken-or-fish.353767/#post-4448050'][URL='https://purevitapetfoods.com/cat-recipes/canned']Canned - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods
NutriSource Pet Foods[/URL][/URL]

Canned is preferred over dry food. Chicken is a common culprit of tummy issues so you may want to avoid that.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow. 300 calories a day sounds like a huge amount of food for an 8lb senior cat. I have a 15lb 4 year old active bengal male and that is the same amount of calories he needs to eat in order to maintain his weight. Your vet may be right - could be something else going on with Loki.

Sorry, I don't have any food suggestions for you. I am in the same camp as you - cat food bills are getting too high for some of the better LID canned food diets, and it is hard to find cat food that my cat will tolerate. I finally asked my vet to give me a suggestion for a home made diet since they are cheaper. We shall see how it goes...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve seen several folks on the site here comment favorably on Hound and Gatos. No gums or carrageenan and the price for most of the flavors seems reasonable.

I fed Rawz canned before I started feeding homemade and commercial raw. No fillers, gums or carrageenan in Rawz, and my cats all liked it. It’s pricey at $2.50 a can here locally, but I highly recommend it.

LadyLondonderry LadyLondonderry mentioned Dave’s. It’s extremely reasonable for a fairly high quality food. Several of the varieties have carrageenan which made one of my cats vomit. They all have guar gum.

You can check out the ingredients of all of these foods and many more at this helpful website: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information. I am sure the vet will call today with results of the blood tests.

Of course, regardless of the results of Loki's labs, all the cats have to eat, so I want to keep searching for food they can tolerate, hopefully at a savings.

LTS3, in answer to your question about whether any of my cats has officially been diagnosed as IBS/IBD, they have not. Financially, I have never been able to take my cats to the vet for the bouts of diarrhea, and I have always been able to alter the food to eventually get them where they had normal stool again. I knew I could never afford extensive testing, and I figured that, aside from steroids or Flagyl, a diet change was going to be the first recommendation of the vet. I was so thrilled that all four cats tolerated the Lotus. Loki and Tigger both gained from being on the thin side. Loki just lost the weight again, and I guess I was hoping it was because he might need more fat and fewer carbs since he is now considered a senior.

Again, everyone's fast response is so appreciated!

Several here have mentioned Rawz. I am having trouble finding a store locally that actually has it in stock to get a can or two to try, but I do know I can get them to order--not sure I can buy less than a case, though.

I do wonder if I get too anxious to transition to new foods, especially with two cats who have had issues with diarrhea before the Lotus. Any tips on the best way to trial a new food? I have been just putting a bite of the trial food on their plates with the Lotus and then increasing to two bites the next day, three bites, the next. If they do have soft stools, I tend to panic and stop that food. Maybe I should not be so fast to stop the trial.

Again, thank you all for your encouragement and helpful information. I will post when I get the results of the labs--I may be very sad by the answers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw is a good brand but can be expensive. It's $2.99 a can where I live :eek: There's a recent thread about Rawz and the new varieties that aren't in stores yet and pricing: https://thecatsite.com/threads/new-rawz-canned-foods.3Offering

Offering small amounts of new food is a good way to start. If the cats eats the samples, you may not need to hide the new food in the old food and transition that way.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw is a good brand but can be expensive. It's $2.99 a can where I live :eek: There's a recent thread about Rawz and the new varieties that aren't in stores yet and pricing: https://thecatsite.com/threads/new-rawz-canned-foods.3Offering

Offering small amounts of new food is a good way to start. If the cats eats the samples, you may not need to hide the new food in the old food and transition that way.
Rawz prices seem to vary a lot: I bought turkey Rawz for $2.29 on Saturday. Our cats especially like the turkey.

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that link! I am thinking of trying the Instinct canned again (but not the limited ingredient, as I think them changing and adding the pea protein was a trigger for the digestive issues). I might just buy a can of the Libby's pumpkin and add 1/4 teaspoon if he seems to be getting constipated like he did on previous trials of reintroducing Instinct. All my cats ate Instinct canned happily for years--hate when they change the formulas. At least it is high in protein and lower in carbs (and all my cats always loved their food). Still, with them being on Lotus exclusively for months, I would go super slow and treat it like a brand new food. I might even get small cans and only put a bite on the plate once a day for 3-4 days before increasing. They eat off plates with food spread around to avoid the scarf and barf. When I try a new food, I usually put a a bite on a clean spot. That way I can see if they at least like the taste.

Oh, the vet never called with the lab results. We were sure every call was that call today. You would think that, if the results were serious (kidney failure, diabetes, thyroid), they would call, but that may just be me wishing for this to just be about a senior cat needing better nutrition or not getting what he needs from eating this same brand daily for three months.

Thanks again for all of your help!

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to report the good news! The vet called this morning, and the labs look fine--no hyperthyroidism, no diabetes! He said a couple of liver enzymes were slightly high but nothing he gets alarmed about.

So, basically, I have a 10-year-old cat who needs to either find a higher calorie food or make sure he does not miss eating three times a day every day, especially if the food is low fat, and the Lotus is like 14% fat on a dry matter basis. The biggest challenge is getting food that they all tolerate without any diarrhea or constipation (and that I can afford to buy enough to have plenty to not be counting cans and stretching calories to make it until the next payday, which can set up Loki to be shorted on calories or meals).

I plan to take all trials very slowly, like a bite in one meal a day for several days and then 2 bites in one meal for several days, etc. However, I read another post on another thread where someone said they had issues with a cat having diarrhea with basically every food after slow introductions at one point and adding a probiotic and digestive enzyme helped with the adjustment. I have some Fortiflora and some Proviable here as probiotic options I would not have to pay for if I wanted to try them. Anyone here agree with using probiotic during the transitions? If so, how far in advance would you start giving the probiotic--like days before the food trial? I know many are not fans of Fortiflora as a probiotic (and the whole animal digest being gross), but I do know there are actually published studies showing success with its use for diarrhea in food transitions. I sort of think that, even adding a probiotic with a lot of strains might be too harsh on the two sensitive kitties. Then again, the animal digest might be upsetting, since my cats have been off kibble totally for a year. I do want to set these trials up for success. I'd be thrilled to find one food that all four could eat with no diarrhea or severe constipation besides Lotus Just Juicy (but Junie does sing when she has the chicken LOL!). I tend to give up on a food that causes diarrhea immediately because it can be hard to get it under control once it starts with Loki or Tigger.

I appreciate all thoughts and tips!

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I had my daughter pick up a couple of cans to let at least Loki try. She grabbed a can of Feline Natural Chicken and Venison, but it is basically the same price with 4 calories less per ounce than the Lotus. Good grief. Well, it might be nice to give them some organ meat once a week or something if they tolerate that many organs after months of the boneless shreds of Lotus.

I also am going to give Instinct Regular Chicken pate (14 cents an ounce cheaper and 7 calories more per ounce with twice the fat or more than Lotus) a try at least for Loki--we will see how it goes. I am going to also look at the brands everyone was so great to mention here! --Hope baby steps work.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That's awesome news about the vet visit!!
I'd try the probiotic before any food changes and see how it works.