Seagrass scratching post falling apart?

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased a $14 scratching post made of seagrass from Walmart, and everytime my cats scratch on it, loads of grass shavings and what-not end up on the floor.

Is this normal? I'm not sure if such is or not, which is why I'm setting up this thread. If it's not normal, then I will be returning the item. If it is normal, then I guess I can have it around, although I'll need to have a dust-pan and brush handy all the time for it. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not used a seagrass scratching post but would imagine it would naturally shed much in the same manner that bamboo does, as bamboo is also a grass.  It does seem to be the latest rage, so maybe some other folks will have some experience with it.

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a seagrass scratching post when I first adopted Charvone. I didn't notice a whole lot of shavings coming off, but Charvone did keep ripping the rope off of the top of pole. I tried gluing (with superglue, even Gorilla Glue) and nailing the rope back on, but he kept tearing it off and would scratch the cardboard underneath too. He is quite strong and destroys most toys easily. It became too short for him when he had a growth spurt, so I traded it to my parents for their taller sisal rope scratching post for my dad to repair later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This scratch post produces a LOT of shavings everytime a cat scratches. It looks like someone's been working at the wood shop and carving something.

How are bamboo scratchers, then? You mention them but forgot to mention how they are.