SDMA 22 Creatine high end of normal range

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Second test in 2 weeks and SDMA jumped from 18.9 to 22, but creatine dropped from 2.6 to 2.5 and usg stayed at 1.020. Does anyone else have similar SDMA experience?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The drop in your cat's creatinine level is negligible, so I am not sure there is any 'mystery' going on with the increase in SDMA and the slight decrease in creatinine. All of these numbers can be affected by numerous things and are sure to cause variances because of that.

Further, the SDMA, while generally considered a reliable indicator of a cat's propensity toward future kidney disease, becomes less 'beneficial' after actual diagnosis, IMO. In the case of my cat, SDMA has no redeeming value regarding her CKD. She is considered to be in Stage 3 based on her creatinine, and yet her SDMA sits at 13.5.

IRIS (International Renal Interest Society) has a kidney disease staging guideline that uses SDMA as part of their criteria, among other contributing factors, such as blood pressure and protein in the urine. Your cat would be considered in Stage 2 based on creatinine and SDMA. In using the creatinine alone, your cat would still be considered in Stage 2. Here are the IRIS' guidelines -
2. IRIS_Staging_of_CKD_2023_v2 (iris-kidney.com.

Are you using this web site (link below) as your guide for helping to treat your cat for CKD? It is very comprehensive and can be intimidating when first starting to read it, but it is well worth getting beyond that 'mental hurdle' due to its valuable information.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The drop in your cat's creatinine level is negligible, so I am not sure there is any 'mystery' going on with the increase in SDMA and the slight decrease in creatinine. All of these numbers can be affected by numerous things and are sure to cause variances because of that.

Further, the SDMA, while generally considered a reliable indicator of a cat's propensity toward future kidney disease, becomes less 'beneficial' after actual diagnosis, IMO. In the case of my cat, SDMA has no redeeming value regarding her CKD. She is considered to be in Stage 3 based on her creatinine, and yet her SDMA sits at 13.5.

IRIS (International Renal Interest Society) has a kidney disease staging guideline that uses SDMA as part of their criteria, among other contributing factors, such as blood pressure and protein in the urine. Your cat would be considered in Stage 2 based on creatinine and SDMA. In using the creatinine alone, your cat would still be considered in Stage 2. Here are the IRIS' guidelines -
2. IRIS_Staging_of_CKD_2023_v2 (iris-kidney.com.

Are you using this web site (link below) as your guide for helping to treat your cat for CKD? It is very comprehensive and can be intimidating when first starting to read it, but it is well worth getting beyond that 'mental hurdle' due to its valuable information.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)
Thank you for that! Confirms my thoughts. Finally talked to vet last night and he said sdma levels can vary widely.He said he's seen swings up to 10 points in 3 days high to lower and vica versa. His blood pressure is normal and no protein in urine last 2 blood tests. Vet said to retest in a month. Makes me feel better to know I don't need to rise and fall based on sdma. Now that you've told me how it isn't a good indicator based on your experience I can breath a bit easier.
I did register for Tanya's group and it is so overwhelming I haven't really gotten it to it. Thank you for that it may be just what I need to stay grounded and not the emotional puddle that I have become.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did register for Tanya's group and it is so overwhelming I haven't really gotten it to it.
You can read information on Tanya's web site without having to join the group. In fact, the group actually prefers that you do. They are an intense group, and sometimes it is better to rely on them with specific based questions that you aren't finding adequate answers to through the web site.

Let us know how the re-testing goes. But, come back here with any questions you have in the meantime!