Scully Had Her Babies

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My pregnant foster kitty had her babies on the forth of July, five little fluffy beans of cute.
Any advice, articles, or anything else you can offer will be much appreciated. I'd like to be prepared after all.
The nest she chose wasn't what I'd expected, and I wasn't able to watch to ensure it went smoothly. I only saw one of the after births, but she seems to be doing great today.
I'm not entirely sure what to do to make sure they all stay healthy, but I'll keep reading up on things and try my best. Scully should do most of the work anyway right? She seems a much better mama than my last mom cat.

Yesterday, I was so excited I hardly did anything. With her last two kittens, I got worried when I noticed she wasn't cleaning or taking care of them right away. I reached down to help, and she immediately went to work with them. She doesn't mind my being there, but she wants me to know they're her babies and she can do it herself.
She's such a good kitty.
A few hours after it was all finished, having fed her kittens and cleaned up a bit, Scully went out for some attention. She came over asking to be pet, very proud of herself and happy. I'd glance over to her nest and she'd go to stand over it as if guarding her babies despite liking my company.

Today I went ahead and weighed them while she was eating. Her largest one weighs around 4.5oz, her smallest is 3.2oz. They seem healthy and Scully cares for each of them. As I weighed the last two she finished eating and walked over, took the kitten and went back to her nest. I hope I'm not upsetting her with all this, but so far I haven't touched her kittens all too much I don't think.
Later I heated up a blanket, put it in a box, and replaced her nest with it so I could wash it. Scully accepted it and I think she has an easier time nursing her kittens in it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the kittens are doing well. You should definitely think about spaying Scully once the kittens are eating solid food. Are there homes lined up for the kittens? If you have the time, picture would be awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They’re foster kitties so Scully and her babies are going back to the shelter to be spayed and adopted when they’re old enough. I might try and keep when though...

7FF41F9C-B04F-473D-BB6E-ED512822B4EB.jpeg
8E4AAC45-0691-4984-A2E6-8261CEC06EE8.jpeg

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are two solid black kittens, one grey and white, a black kitten with white paw/face, and one that looks like her. I can't tell the two solid ones apart, but one is the first born and the other was the last. They're over a once apart in weight.
They're all so cute and tiny, I'd love to get some better pictures of them but I'll have to wait until they're older and Scully lets me touch them more. Right now I'm restricting handling them for when I need to do something like change their linens or check their weight.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're a saint for fostering them! Scully has a very sweet face and seems like a fantastic mom. I can't tell you how great I think you are for taking care of them. You ROCK!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
What a sweet family. Great job taking them on.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I weighed them again today. Mostly I think their weights are excellent, a bit heavier then was I'd expect for two day old kittens, but it's fairly clear that the larger babies are thriving.
Grey and white went from 4.5oz to 5.4oz
Larger black went from 4.4oz to 5.1oz
Tuxedo went from 4.3oz to 4.9oz
Smaller black went from 3.2oz? to 4.4oz (I didn't get the best read on this one yesterday, Scully interrupted me)
Most worrying is mini-scully, who went from 3.4oz to 3.5oz
This baby is much smaller than her siblings and didn't gain much at all since yesterday, should I start supplementing?
Scully wouldn't like it, she's not fond of me handling her kittens. She likes to remind me that while she likes hanging out with me, they're her babies and not mine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The little one sounds like she’s not getting as much time at the milk bar as the others. She at least gained a little, but ideally it should be at least twice as much.

Try putting her to a nipple when the others are sleeping.

Otherwise, feel free to supplement.