Screen Windows And Air Conditioners = Kitty Escape Hatches?

catzorz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you guys keep your cats from pushing out/clawing on the screens of your windows? Any tips for securing window air conditioner units in a way that doesn't give kitties an escape hatch?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the screens are properly installed, they aren’t so easy to push out. Same with A/C units. Some screens are just held in place by hope, pretty much. Those are not suitable in an apartment with cats. My cats do claw at the screens somewhat but they’ve never torn one. I do trim their claws.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a couple of pieces of wood that are about 2 inches wide that we put across the outside of the screens so that the cats can’t push them out. But we also don’t leave them open if we aren’t in the room with the cats, just in case.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the windows double hung? Can you open them from the top (screen on top as well)?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For screen windows, just double up with one of those portable screens made for windows that lack a screen. They’re pretty strong and the frame should slide in your window and keep your cat from being so close to the flimsy outside screen. As for a/c units, I weatherproof open areas with bubble wrap and painters tape, but most units should have “fins” that extend and fill most of that area. If they don’t, you can buy them online.