Scratching the side of the Litter Box

gingersmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat ginger, often scratches the side of her litter box from the inside to the point I think I may go crazy. Does anyone know what this behavoir means, or how to stop it??

Sara

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats have that litterbox behavior. All of our cats scratch the side of the litterbox, not sure why but they like doing it & its not hurting anything. So don't worry - that is just something cats do after going to the bathroom
If its bothering you too much, you could try moving the litterbox so you don't hear her scratching if thats possible to move it. Hopefully you find the answer to your question...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gingersmommy

My cat ginger, often scratches the side of her litter box from the inside to the point I think I may go crazy. Does anyone know what this behavoir means, or how to stop it??

Sara
Is she digging down deep? Alley does that to go down deep on the sides.
(To pee.) Makes cleaning the box a lot harder. I keep about six inches of litter in the box though now that I have three cats using it. But Alley is the only one that scratches the sides to get all the way down on the sides.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gingersmommy

Sara
I don't think it has any particular meaning other than she wants to be absolutely SURE it's buried and I think trying to "stop it" could be a big mistake. I know how annoying hearing it can be but try to think of the positives. Wickett will spend anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes digging in the box. It drives me crazy to hear it but then I think... at least he uses the box! and I'm glad he buries it too because boy does it SMELL otherwise!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max scratches in the box, the sides of the box, the inside back wall of the box, the inside roof of the cover, the doorway of the box, the AIR IN FRONT OF THE BOX...it cracks me up every time. I always know who is in the litter box by the sounds they make when scratching.

When it starts to drive you crazy, just remember that it could be worse: he could be doing it on your floors and NOT trying to cover it up.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Max scratches in the box, the sides of the box, the inside back wall of the box, the inside roof of the cover, the doorway of the box, the AIR IN FRONT OF THE BOX...it cracks me up every time. I always know who is in the litter box by the sounds they make when scratching.
Sounds like our furkids.
Gracie and Elliott have even turned around and scratched the wall behind the litter box.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do anything to try to stop this behavior. She will not understand that you don't want her to cover so much and think she is being punished for using the box in the first place. Just have to get over it, most cats do this, every one of my 6 cats does this, some of them will scratch on the walls, the floor outside the box, and everywhere... Just what they do!

bkydrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when I am in the laundry room where the 2 of the litter boxes are and Beacon starts scratching the side, of the box, the wall, the washing machine... I say "Thanks Beacon! You're all done! You can go now." And he does.

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HAHA! I had to laugh because mine do the same thing. It is so annoying when they dig so deep that they pee on the plastic and it sticks to it when the litter is then used to cover it up. You then go to scoop it out and the "clump" just falls into 1000 pieces!! LOL Mine often sound like they are digging for gold when they go to use the box and are always clawing the sides of the box. I really don't care (and actually think it is kind of funny) because as long as they use the box and not the floor, we're all happy campers!!!! I feel fortunate because now that I've had them 9 months (knock on wood), they have never gone outside of the box other than the first night I brought them home which is obviously understandable.

As others have said, I wouldn't do anything to stop it because you certainly don't want a situation where the cat feels scared to go in the box for fear of getting punished. You're asking for trouble if you do that!

Good luck!

kpandmawk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing, and it has become my biggest pet peeve, ever. It came to the point to where he scratched up the liner so bad, it was useless and actually cumbersome, and we would have to throw it out. We no longer use liners for this reason, and he still scratches at the box itself... I used to think it was because the liner provided resistance so he could scratch and stretch a little at the same time, but now I'm thinking it is to wipe his paws a little more. Who can really tell what goes on in their heads, anyway?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bkydrose

when I am in the laundry room where the 2 of the litter boxes are and Beacon starts scratching the side, of the box, the wall, the washing machine... I say "Thanks Beacon! You're all done! You can go now." And he does.
Must try this with Wickett!

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats scratches quite a bit on the sides of the litterbox. It doesn't bother me except when he scratches the door on the litterbox. Reminds me of a punching bag.

The weird thing with him though, is that he often scratches the OUTside of the litterbox, regardless of whether he's just done his business or not. Sometimes he'll just walk up to the box and scratch the sides and the door for a little while and walk away. Anyone else have cats that do this?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats scratch the sides of the box, the floor around the box, the walls around the box, anything else that's within reach of the box, and the air around the box. Leo is the worst about it and sometimes scratches for as long as 20 minutes! Drives me nuts sometimes but at least they're using the box!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed Mattie doing this, except she scratches the side of the shelves next to one of the litterboxes. It seems like she is trying to wipe litter off of her paws, but who knows. Then she scratches the carpet in front of the box too.

She only does this with the open box, not the covered Booda Dome.

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
George likes to paw at our freezer after he is done his business since it is right next to his box. He usually does this while he's still in the box, and then he has to do a big jump to get out without getting his newly cleaned paw dirty!
He also likes to kick around these mats that I got to surround his box to attempt to keep the litter all in one place....so in the end they don't usually work thanks to him, but hey, I got them at the dollar store, and at least he's having fun!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maisie is just the same when she`s trying to bury a poop. Sometimes I find the bag of litter that is about a foot from the tray tipped over and the scoop flung across the floor too

It is really irritating to listen to coz she goes on for what seems like ages.

Is there a quiet place you can put the box so you don`t have to listen?

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Think your cat is more 'normal' than you realised!
My Pepsi scratches the box, the nearest door, mid air and next to her food bowl!
Go figure!!
I used to watch her and think she was odd, but now its just part of who she is and if thats odd then fine.
I love her anyway. :rainbowheart:

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bkydrose

I have done this sometimes too. Boxes are in the basement and if I am at the dryer and our obsessive boy cannot seem to be able to stop his pawing of the box I tell him that he is "very good boy and did a very good job and it's OK now". He will then actually stop and come see what I am doing. I think he sometimes just gets stuck like an old record and can't stop himself. He has gotten better with the extended scratching sessions but he is still the one who will spend the most time pondering if his stuff is well covered

psbrady1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to find out the same thing! My cat scratches inside and out and drives me crazy also. Have you gotten any replies to this?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @psbrady1 and welcome to TCS!

The thread you posted in is 7 years old and you're unlikely to get a response.  Perhaps you would like to start your own thread and ask the question?