Scratching the furniture

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat, Martini, has started scratching the furniture. Nothing major but obviously, it's a habit we want to nip in the bud. We do have a small scratching, so hopefully he can use that. Are scratching posts effective?  What are some suggestions?

This was never an issue with Merlin, when he sharpened his claws on the door mat at the deck outside, and still does at present

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the whole, yes cat scratching posts are very effective. We have 4 poles and a cat tree of different levels with a sleeping area at the top and my two girls love them. 3 of the poles are floor to ceiling and they love to be able to stretch their whole body before running up onto a shelf. That said, I will still catch my youngest Amber stretching on the side of the sofa when I'm not looking! She has always been the naughty one. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Martini has used the scratching post but still at times scratches the furniture. My sister said she is going to put double-sided tape on the couch as a deterrent.

As I said, Merlin has never scratched the furniture even as a kitten, we encouraged him to use the mat. Martini doesn't go downstairs.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The "SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post" has been one of my best investments (I bought 2.)

I had tried everything I could think of (except soft paws...not economical with a dozen or so cats.). After a few days of having the new scratchers (placed directly behind the victim couch) we had no more cats scratching the furniture.

I bought mine off Amazon for 39.99 a piece. Definitely worth the investment!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If possible, having a couple of different options helps, i.e., a tree, post(s), vertical and horizontal mats or sisal covered boards, cardboard scratchers, cheap throw rugs or carpet samples. We got old upholstered dining room chairs from family and friends for our last cat, so he always had his own chair to scratch and left the other furniture alone.

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. He has been using the post. Sometimes he goes behind the chair where we can't reach him.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great suggestions by every one. The tape is also a good idea. I did that when I first took Angel in, & he would reach up to stretch  & scratch the front of my couch arms. I also found a no scratch spray @ Walmart, it had stuff they don't like in it like lemon, eucalyptus, etc...  I think the two together worked pretty good. 

cbowdidge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been using the post more. He doesn't scratch the furniture that much. And he uses the door mat, probably because he sees Merlin doing it so he knows it's OK

@Draco  Correction, it's Martini who scratches the furniture, not Merlin. Merlin has never scratched the furniture