Scratching Posts

Earle23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new kitten and I’m looking for recommendations for scratching posts. Does anyone have one their cat(s) really like?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We’d can recommend scratching posts till the cows comes home, but what my cat likes may not be what your cat likes. I’d start with a vertical sisal rope post. Better yet, get a kitty condo that has sisal rope wrapped posts. But don’t be surprised if your cat ignores it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is too, too sadly true. Cats are very individualist in their scratching habits. Some Iike vertical, some horozontal, some angled. And different cats like different materials. The main thing, with ALL scratchers, is that they be long enough to allow the cat to stretch out as it scratches. That seems to be the only universal.

There are a host of scratchers out there in each ot the three "positional" styles. The cardboard ones tend to be less expensive, so you might experiment with all three types in cardboard, then start experimenting with what texture your own cat prefers. You can always donate the rejects to a local rescue!

HAPPY HUNTING!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, so true! I bought Mocha a ridiculously expensive SmartCat scratching post when I adopted her ($50? $60? I can’t remember). She completely ignored it. I had to donate it to the local cat shelter. She doesn’t even scratch her carpet-covered cat trees—which isn’t all bad since I never have to replace them! :lol: What she does like is the Trixie sisal-covered scratching post for $17.58 at Chewy. But a long-ago kitty would use only cardboard scratchers that were flat on the floor. As others have said, you’ll have to experiment.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would start by getting an inexpensive vertical scratching "pad", as well as a horizontal one and see which one your kitten prefers before investing in something more expensive. My male cat strongly prefers anything horizontal (scratching pads, as well as rugs!), and will only occasionally use the vertical scratching posts, of which I have many!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Earle23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I’ll try some of the inexpensive ones first to see what she might like.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine will only occasionally use sisal posts. She has a love affair with all of her cardboard scratchers though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hek prefers cardboard as well. LOL, I sometimes wonder if that is because of the tiny shredded bits of cardboard on the floor that I have to clean up!

Comicsbooksandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought Maggie horizontal cardboard scratchers and built (with some major help) vertical scratching posts with a platform for window viewing; she uses the horizontal somewhat for scratching but more as perches! She does use the crap out of her vertical ones and has adapted well to the posts on her new cat tower… there’s really no way to know until they tell you. Definitely keep height in mind for the vertical options so your little one has room to fully stretch as well as a wide sturdy base if they have a platform to jump on.