scratching posts

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you keep or toss your scratching post when it starts to fray. I personally don't have the $$$ to buy new ones the minute the carpet starts to come off.

I have 3 old posts with sisal & some of the carpet peeling off. I have pulled chunks of carpet out of 2 of my cats thumb claw. Would they eat it? Would it cause intestine issues? Anyone with experience with this?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you keep or toss your scratching post when it starts to fray. I personally don't have the $$$ to buy new ones the minute the carpet starts to come off.

I have 3 old posts with sisal & some of the carpet peeling off. I have pulled chunks of carpet out of 2 of my cats thumb claw. Would they eat it? Would it cause intestine issues? Anyone with experience with this?
I would not use it. You can buy sisal. My scratchers are corrugated cardboard. Lasts many years. Expensive but actually not since other kind you have to keep buying

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not use it. You can buy sisal. My scratchers are corrugated cardboard. Lasts many years. Expensive but actually not since other kind you have to keep buying

I have a couple of the cardboard ones & there are little brown specs all over the house. That gets tore up too.

We did buy a spool of sisal, re worked the rope part & of course it comes off with long clear strings attached, perfect for cats to chew on!