scratching posts and cat towers

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt's gotten too heavy for his cat tower, and it's time for a new one. Trouble is, the ones at Petsmart just don't look sturdy enough for his 16lb large sized frame, and hes not as agile as he used to be. 

I thought about making him one, but I haven't the fainest Idea where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might either find a good sturdy tower for a large cat, or a pattern on which I can build one myself?

Thanks in advance, Michelle

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you Googled "cat trees for large cats/Maine Coons"? Our last cat, Jamie, was very large and easily destroyed regular-sized trees. We got one online with extra-big columns designed for Maine Coons, and that tree is still in use over 14 years later, with just the platforms replaced for Mogli. I'd suggest a room-high one that can't tip, with columns about 11 - 12 cm. in diameter.

itsnotpeanutbut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're currently using a scratching barrel of about 3 feet high and a heavy duty re-board custom-made tree.

The barrel has 3 levels for them to sit and play in, and an extra padded area on top for them to sleep on. There's little to no risk tat it'll ever fall over and can handle quite a beating (our two cats wrestle on top of it). Added bonus: the entire barrel is covered in scratchable carpet-like material.

It's similar to this one: 

The tree is made at the company I work for, it's a double-layered silhouette of a tree, made from re-board (very thick cardboard). The sides have the corrugated cardboard showing, and both cats use that as scratching post. It's about 6ft high and can also the same beating the barrel takes (both cats love to chase each other on the branches). But since you can't easily find this type of tree in a petstore, this might not be an option for you.

However, we were thinking of ditching the cardboard tree and making ourselves a new one, using an actual branch. But we first need to find a fitting branch and dry it out enough to be usable, so that will take quite a while.

Or, if you have the money, you can just buy one straight away (they're very expensive, though.)

http://www.royalwoods.nl/en/royal-scratchers/8-royal-scratcher-deluxe.html