Scratching post

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am looking to purchase a scratching post for my adult cat. He is 13.2lb (a bit chubby) How tall should the scratching post be?
We got him a horizontal post but he doesn't use it at all and opts for my mattress :/
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would a 3ft post be alright?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Would a 3ft post be alright?
Yes, 3ft is great for most cats. In addition to being long, it needs to be very stable so as not to move or wobble when he's using it.

You can read more about choosing the right scratching post here - 

[article="29683"]How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture​[/article]  

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one of these as well, and can also recommend it. It's *very* sturdy, and even my ginormous cat can stretch out full length with it.

The company also sells a topper platform for it. It's good in theory, but has two serious design flaws: they used plastic for the tabs that lock it in place and the adhesive they used for the velcro tabs that secure the removable pad to it is incredibly weak. When said ginormous cat leaps onto it from the side, either the pad will tear loose from the shearing force, or the plastic tabs will bend outwards and the entire topper will slide off. The amazon.com product page is full of complaints and DIY fixes.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat also isn't a horizontal scratcher. She likes to stretch up vertically, and the ultimate scratching post is also her favorite. Amazon was selling it for $36.99 with free delivery but it looks like they've temporarily sold out again. It's a popular item so they're always restocking. It's very sturdy, and our cat enjoys the good stretch that it allows her. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your suggestions and tips!

We actually ended up buying a short cat tree (3.5 ft) from a man who actually makes and sells them from his home. It was only $40 and best of all, Leo loves it

D