Scratching on doors: separation anxiety or spoiled kitten?

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Our Fletcher is an 8 month old neutered male, and we had him since he was a tiny thing of 6 weeks old. He is our only cat and our first yet. He's always been one of those super-attached and affectionate kittens, never more than a few meters away from us and almost always in the same room (only exception: when we are on the sofa in the living room, watching a movie, he sometimes claims ownership of the bed and passes out on it for hours). Thing is: whenever there is a door separating us from him, he goes crazy scratching on it and meowing until we let him in. I understand that cat owners rarely can have moments of privacy :D but I don't know if it's normal that he never seems to tire himself out. He can go on for hours, talk about stamina! And the scratching is… intense. This happened a lot when we were trying to get him used to sleeping outside our bedroom, and we eventually gave up since it was impossible to sleep. Now we try to close him out of the kitchen when we are cooking big meals (say: whenever we are awaiting guests) or when we eat if he is not behaving well (he usually does), and he would tear the door apart if he could.

I wonder if this is normal spoiled-kitten behavior or if it's a sign of a deeper issue. 

More info you could find useful:
  • For his first month with us he was, I'm afraid, often alone (we weren't prepared for such a small kitten) while we were at work. We often went back home for lunch just to check on him and we cared for him in all possible ways but yeah, it wasn't ideal for such a small kitten. Now things are much much better because my boyfriend works from home most of the time. 
  • He never makes a scene when we leave, he barely acknowledges it.
  • When we come back home he bolts for the door to welcome us and be picked up, but he's clearly just woken up from sweet sweet kitten dreams, so not really in distress. 
  • When he's been closed in a room he does not make an effort to resist. He stays still until we close the door behind us and then he starts scratching.
  • When we open the door he does not rush out, but he waits a little and then comes out with no sign of rush or distress. 
  • He's, otherwise, an extremely sweet-tempered kitten.
What do you say? Is this normal kitten behaviour or is it something we should worry about? What are the signs of separation anxiety?

here's some picture of the little terror

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous boy! Congrats on your first kitty!

It is quite normal for most cats to hate a closed door, but perhaps even more so for your boy due to the fact he was SO young when you adopted him. 6 weeks is way too young to be taken from his mom under normal circumstances, though I realize it is unavoidable at times. So yes, he is VERY attached, but he does not seem to have any anxiety from the behavior you described.

If you really want him to NOT be in certain rooms, there are things you could try to keep him from scratching at a door. One of the best I have seen is a can that blows air, or makes  a sound(some have an actual spray) when a cat passes the sensor. Another trick is placing a plastic carpet runner with the nubby side up under the door. Cats really don't like those things.

I have 3, they are between 1 and 2yrs, and they still don't tolerate a closed door well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What a gorgeous boy! Congrats on your first kitty!

It is quite normal for most cats to hate a closed door, but perhaps even more so for your boy due to the fact he was SO young when you adopted him. 6 weeks is way too young to be taken from his mom under normal circumstances, though I realize it is unavoidable at times. So yes, he is VERY attached, but he does not seem to have any anxiety from the behavior you described.

If you really want him to NOT be in certain rooms, there are things you could try to keep him from scratching at a door. One of the best I have seen is a can that blows air, or makes  a sound(some have an actual spray) when a cat passes the sensor. Another trick is placing a plastic carpet runner with the nubby side up under the door. Cats really don't like those things.

I have 3, they are between 1 and 2yrs, and they still don't tolerate a closed door well!
Thank you! 

Fletcher is allowed in all three rooms of our small apartment :) It just breaks my heart when I have to close him somewhere (it happens!) and he seems in such strain! You have more than one cat... Do they keep each other company behind closed doors? :D I'm considering getting him a little companion now that we are financially more stable.

And to address the first part of your post... Yes, Fletcher was one of those cases where there wasn't much choice on our part. We were "forced" to take him so early (it was either us or someone else or the shelter), the previous owners seemed interested only in the parents... that we later discovered were put up for adoption at the local shelter! I'm still angry, they were really bad pet owners. The only thing I can guarantee you is that he is now a happy, spoiled kitten. He's the center of our world :)

Last edited by a moderator:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always think cats are better in pairs. Getting him a companion would probably be great for him. You'd want to try and find a good match in temperament and energy.

It doesn't matter how many of mine are together locked up, they are ALL at the door.
But they do get used to it eventually realizing they'll be out soon.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got my cat Peanut when he was about 8 weeks. He would not go anywhere alone. His litterbox was on the 2nd floor and his food on the first. If he was hungry or had to use the box and no one was on that floor, he would suffer until one of us went with him. When we were gone he was fine.

He's 13 now and grew out of that a long time before he got a furry friend. As cats grow they seem to get more independent. But at 13 he still can't stand not knowing what's going on in my son's room since his door is always closed. He's quiet about it now but he still has to know.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it all sounds normal to me!  He's still a kitten in a lot of ways and will be for a while longer.  A companion is a good idea; but like katluver4life said; finding one that is a good match in energy and all is important.  Also doing proper introductions is important.  More so with some cats than others; but still, reading up on it before you bring another furball home can save you a lot of headaches!  We have some good articles you can find links to in the "sticky" at the top of the Behavior forum here. 

One thing that may help if you have to shut him out while you cook for guests is to give him a good play session before you start cooking.  Use things like want toys or da bird to really exercise him and try to get some of that kitty energy out.  If it's near a meal time; feed him after that and hopefully he will relax a little while you cook.  If it doesn't help so much now; hopefully it will as he gets older!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it all sounds normal to me!  He's still a kitten in a lot of ways and will be for a while longer.  A companion is a good idea; but like katluver4life said; finding one that is a good match in energy and all is important.  Also doing proper introductions is important.  More so with some cats than others; but still, reading up on it before you bring another furball home can save you a lot of headaches!  We have some good articles you can find links to in the "sticky" at the top of the Behavior forum here. :)

One thing that may help if you have to shut him out while you cook for guests is to give him a good play session before you start cooking.  Use things like want toys or da bird to really exercise him and try to get some of that kitty energy out.  If it's near a meal time; feed him after that and hopefully he will relax a little while you cook.  If it doesn't help so much now; hopefully it will as he gets older!
Sadly we will not be able to do the "slow" introduction properly, as I explained previously here. :( do you have some advice on how we should proceed? How can I know if the other kitten is a personality match?