Scratching my fabric sofa

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I have place scratching post around my sofa and also have shown the kittens to scratch but they still start scratching the sofa, what's the next step I can do?
When they scratch, I say no and bring them to the post.
But is not working.

Keelo123r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are certain smells that are pleasing enough for humans but for cats are quite the opposite. Maybe a little research into the smelly word and you can come up with your own solution to spray the areas that are prone to being attacked. Also, might not be the best of all tips but I remember from when I was small that my cat would constantly destroy the xmas tree by aggressively climbing up through the middle. I think this caused my poor mother some distress but beating the cat out of the tree and caging her up was a complete NoNo. She then came up with her own idea of peppering the tree instead of her lunch. We had a sneezy cat a few times but it surely saved the tree from then on 🤣👍🏼 Good luck 😉

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use sofa covers. Placing scratch posts near sofas sometimes works and sometimes not, so I just use a cover.
Some cats prefer upright posts and some flat scratching boards.
If you have a cat tree that is part scratching post, putting that near the sofa may help as it would be taller and possibly more attractive than the sofa.

Here are some sofa cover ideas:
110 Couch Covers ideas | couch covers, couch, sofa covers

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought clear protectors that you can cut to size and attach to your furniture. Boone and Gracie leave it alone.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After you dry off after a shower, drape your towel over the scratching post for half an hour. It'll make it smell like you and might make it more attractive to the cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use double-sided tape I got at Walmart. Put big X's on the areas your cats scratch. It really works, they hate the feel of stickiness on their paws. You can remove it when they don't go there anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tnks guys.
Managed to sit down and show my male one by scratching the post myself.
So far he attempting to learn.
But will take time as now we are the mama cat for them.
Thinking of getting those spray that repel them

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How tall are the scratching posts? You will want very tall ones so they can get a really good stretch. A tall carpet cat tree in the room would be ideal as well. You have to see how they scratch to. If they scratch upwards or downwards and get the type they prefer. A lot of the scratching posts nowadays are way too short for cats to get a really good stretch. Cats love to dig their claws into something after they wake up to stretch their muscles. They also love to scratch when excited. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats prefer horizontal or angled scratchers to vertical ones. Some cats also have texture preferences. Some like sisal, others prefer carpet, others like cardboard. Try adding different scratchers in different materials.