Scratching himself?

laceymcde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently inherted a cat from my SIL. He is a 1 yr old malee. Neutered/declawd in the front. He has NO fleas, or earmites... and yet he is scratching his neck and head very badly. He has cuts everywhere. I don't know what to do. The vet has checked him for fleas, and mites, but it is continuing to get worse. He also grooms himself to the point of causing bald spots. Is this behavoral? Maybe compulsive?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceymcde

I recently inherted a cat from my SIL. He is a 1 yr old malee. Neutered/declawd in the front. He has NO fleas, or earmites... and yet he is scratching his neck and head very badly. He has cuts everywhere. I don't know what to do. The vet has checked him for fleas, and mites, but it is continuing to get worse. He also grooms himself to the point of causing bald spots. Is this behavoral? Maybe compulsive?
It can be food allergies, or allergies to something in the home... most likely food. What is he eating?

ETA: Just to clarify my post.... Since your vet has checked your kitty for fleas and mites, and he doesn't have either, IMO food or something in the home would be the usual suspects, like laundry soap/softener, cleaners, etc.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

It can be food allergies, or allergies to something in the home... most likely food. What is he eating?
Food allergies are the easier to control not always the most common.... but like above what is he eating? what cleaners do you use? do you live a very damp or very dry or moderate climate?Is he on regular flea control? you can bring in the little bugs on your shoes and pants

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceymcde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is on a regular Flea treatment.

He eats Purina Cat Chow.

I use Dreft for my childrens clothing, and Tide with Downy for everything else.

We use 100% organic fabric softner, and natures best cleaning supplies.

We live in the midwest. Its not very damp, or very dry. The vet suggested dry skin..but it seems like so much more than that.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to the physical factors that have already been mentioned and should be ruled out first, cats can also exhibit this kind of behavior due to stress. It could be as small as a guest staying overnight, someone in the family being sick, moving the furniture. A change in their world. Some cats just plain don't deal well with any kind of change in their world.

You mention that he gets regular flea treatment. Is it possible that he has an allergy to the flea treatment? Does he seem to be more itchy, especially around the neck and head, after the flea treatment?