Scratching at my ankles?

olynch33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
     I'm usually the first one up everyday. When I go downstairs to get ready for work, my cat follows me around meowing. I feed her, give her fresh water, clean her litter box, pet her, and play with her, but she won't stop meowing! Eventually I have to start ignoring her so I can get ready, and when I walk away, she claws at my ankles so hard it draws blood. Why does she do this and how can I get her to stop? (Declawing her is not an option) Also, I'm the only one she does this too and she just started doing this a month ago.

-Olivia

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good on you for not declawing. That'd just be cruel.

From your cat's perspective... You sleep a long, long time. She can't have your company. She gets lonely. When you wake up, she follows you around, snuggling as though she's starved for snuggles. Maybe she figures you're her mom-cat. Then when you start leaving, she's frustrated, she wants you to snuggle with her longer (the next sixteen hours or so will do), and she gets you with her claws trying to get you to play or snuggle some more because she knows that when you leave, you're leaving for another long time.

Perhaps a more casual morning routine might help her. Don't fuss over her as much as usual, just talk to her casually, scratch her head a little, ignore her for a few minutes, "notice" her and greet her occasionally. Perhaps even simulate leaving for work, and then come back quite soon, so that your getting ready for work is no longer a signal for "Now I'm going to be left without my substitute mom-cat for ten hours" which might lead her to grow frustrated and claw you.

Don't reward her clawing in any way. Yell Ouch and back off, ignore her. She can't learn that clawing is a good way to get your attention.

I don't know whether you would want to look into getting her a playmate, but that might be an option, if she is a very social cat and wants someone to play with at night and when you are at work.

If you're not clipping her claws regularly, try to get her used to it. It should cut down on your involuntary blood donations. :p