Scratched and possibly bitten by a stray

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the vet did worm her, they said that coulve cause the diarrhea. and when i found her she had been someones pet as she had a collar but with no tags on it. i looked in the papers but still cant find her owner. thanks for the link to the site, i'll check it out. and also i'll get some higher quality cat food too. she doesnt look sick at all she always playing, running around and getting into everything. she does beg for people food which i wont give her cause i heard it bad for her.

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worm medications don't work instantly, it may be a day or so before she produces a solid stool. As for your own wounds, watch them carefully and apply antibacterial ointments--more than likely that will do the job, especially with scratches.

Bites are another matter. Those are deep punctures with a tendency toward infection, as cats have bacteriological menageries in their mouths. I'd watch for swelling, reddening and pus, but beyond that I'd treat with antibacterial ointments. Unless a cat is rabid--highly unlikely--their diseases won't jump the species barrier to humans and it's no different than any other puncture wound....

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago I was bit by a stray cat that got into my house from the skylight that was open. I was just in a night shirt and he bit me on the upper thigh area near my butt while I was trying to pick him up. To make a long story short, it became really swollen after a few days and kept getting worse. I went to the doctor and wound up being treated for pasteurella. I had to have a drain put in the wound... It was really bad.. My biggest mistake was that I didn't take care of the wound properly when it happened.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to catch a wild kitten (sibling to ours) and was bit. It was only one little puncture wound but because I am allergic to several antibiotics as well as the tetanus vaccine, I headed for ER. I felt silly and embarrassed when they asked to see the puncture and I couldn't pinpoint it down but they assured me they'd seen some very nasty infections from cat bites and scratches including people who had to have long term antibiotic treatment in a pik line.

Animal bites must be reported to animal control and they did set traps and talked me through the process of observation and then what would happen afterwards. I figured they would put any animal down but because it was a provoked attack they would still consider that kitten adoptable and asked if we'd be interested in keeping it in the event it was caught and was clear.

They never caught the kitten (although some animals were getting lots of tasty treats from the trap). Then my case went to the county health department who eventually had to check with the state health department before deeming I didn't need the rabies shots. (Very young animals rarely survive rabies for any period of time apparently.)

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is more chance of getting cat scratch fever than of getting rabies. Cat scratch fever isn't just a song. In fact many people who've handled cats all their lives have had it at one point or another. You can get a fever and swollen lymph glands. In most people the symptoms go away without treatment, if your immune system is compromised or if you're pregnant you may have more problems. Sometimes these lymph glands remain semi swollen or shotty in people without other symptoms (this showed up on my mri's and the doc asked me if I have cats which I have all my life) If you have a fever after a scratch you should still talk to your dr.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did go to the doctor, she wasnt too concerned about cat scratch fever because i had no swollen glands, as a precaution she drew blood to see if i have a low grade infection. well all is well now, i have no fever and feel like normal.
as for my little kitty she is doing great! no more diarrhea, it could have been prolonged as she was on antibiotics and they can mess up a little tummy. but anyway she's doing great and is fitting in well with my two other kitties. one big happy family. thanks for everyones help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're doing better and took the precaution to go to the doctor and I'm glad your kitten is doing better as well! Since she is young, this is a good time to start her getting used to you cutting her nails so she doesn't keep scratching you! Ask your vet if you're not comfortable doing this yet, your vet can show you how to cut your kittens nails without fear of them bleeding.

For anyone else that may wander into this thread b/c they've been bitten or scratched, I found this:

Should I call my doctor if I am bitten or scratched by a cat?
Call your family doctor if you notice any of the following problems:

- A cat scratch or bite that does not heal in the usual length of time.
- An area of redness around a cat scratch or bite that continues to get bigger for more than 2 days after the injury.
- Fever that lasts for several days after a cat scratch or bite.
- Painful and swollen lymph nodes for more than 2 or 3 weeks.
- Bone or joint pain, abdominal pain (without fever, vomiting or diarrhea) or an unusual degree of tiredness for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
actually i cut her nails on her 2nd day with me, little fuss but she'll get used to it. thanks again.
on the subject of bites or scratches my doctor informes me the best thing to clean them with is good 'ol soap and water, wash thouroughly and rinse for about five minutes, then use an antibiotics ointment. preoxide, alchol and betadine kill healthy tissue as well as bacteria were soap and water only kill the bacteria.