Scratch Pad Training

firstimefoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need some advice for some scratch-pad training. I have a 4 month old that has zero interest in the scratch pads we've bought. Currently, she likes to stretch and scratch on the stairs and other carpeted areas. I've caught her a few times on the back of the couch. We keep her claws trimmed, and she hasnt seemed to do any damage - yet.

I've tried leaning the pad against the stairs, putting a toy on it in hopes she catches a claw, and used cat nip. Cat nip unfortunately has zero effect on kitty, but I also heard she may be too young still for it.

My cats very laid back, so I tried holding her and placing her paws on the pad. She just looked at me like I was crazy and walked away.

I just want to start early before she does any damage. I'm not worried about my furniture, but I rent - so the carpet is a concern. I don't plan on declawing either.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there and welcome! 

Some cats do not like the scratch pads and would rather a scratching post or an incline scratcher. I also highly recommend getting a cat tree. You want to have a variety of scratching options. To prevent her from scratching the couch or carpet get some double sided which will make her not want to scratch those surfaces.

Here is a great article on how to stop problem scratching (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/problem-scratching-and-how-to-stop-it)

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guys liked to scratch a certain spot on the hall carpet. Eventually what worked was a carpet square sample in the same material/texture to my carpet. I got it from Crate & Barrel for free (or really cheap). I just put the sample on the spot they liked to scratch and problem solved.

vadzilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Replace your carpet with hardwood. More hygeinic anyway :)  Seriously though, just put some carpeted scratchers, posts or cat trees in the house.  Our cats do the same thing - ignore the sisal posts, and go for the softer stuff :) You cant really "train them" to use a specific kind of material to scratch - they will still seek out and use what they like. If there are specific areas that you REALLY dont want them to touch, get some of that double-sided sticky tape and cover those, at least for a few days. Cats dont like scratching sticky surfaces, and could abandon those areas after a while.