ScottishFold - OCD - bones/joints make clicking sound when she walks and jumps

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have 2 year old female spayed scottish fold and I noticed her bones/joints make clicking sound when she walks and jumps. She is not hesitant to jump or move. she is not a very active cat since her kittenhood but when its play time she runs and doesn’t seem to having pain. The sound is not coming from her nails.

I am afraid that she has started to show signs of osteochondriadysplasia, I will take her to vet this week but anyone ha this clicking sound from their cat when they move? Its almost the same sound as human knuckle clicking

here hers pic:)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My cat is not a Scottish fold but is 17+ yo DSH with arthritis. Although I cannot hear it, the vet said her one elbow clicks when manipulated under examination. When the vet checks out your girl, I would assume they will also check for related spinal issues as well. Feeby was found several years ago to have two nearly fused vertebrae, which may or may not be related to her arthritic condition.

As far as I know, Feeby's elbow may have led to her most recent hyper-extended wrist - although there is no way to confirm it. So, you could ask if something like that would be possible, as your girl ages. Feeby is on pain meds for that and recommended 'bed rest' with consideration of possible physical therapy and/or acupuncture down the road.

I presume that the vet might suggest joint supplements at this stage for you to give your cat - and continued monitoring. She may very well later in life require pain meds if/as the arthritis progresses, if it creates discomfort/pain. You might also ask the vet if physical therapy and/or acupuncture would be helpful in terms of slowing down progression of her condition.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scottish fold with about the same age as yours. She has been very active since young. However, I do not observe or hear the sound you mentioned when she moves.

3BF3577A-8E63-495B-8D8C-3F994402253F.jpeg

yes, better to check with the vet.

i do hope your beautiful kitty is ok.