Scottish Fold kitten pattern and colour

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers!
As I wrote in a early post, I recently bought a Scottish Fold kitten. He is the most kind and loving cat :heart3:
I started this thread because I need help on identifying he's coat patern: he seems half fawn mackerel tabby and half fawn spotted tabby :confused:
I realy appreciate you help in this.
Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With that many visible spots, I think he would register as spotted, at least in the FIFe...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His father is a handsome fella! He looks like a pedigree Scottish fold. What colour/coat doe he have? it is difficult to tell from the picture. What is the mother? Scottish folds should breed out, like Manx cats, to avoid genetic problems, so I would not expect her to be one. Is she registered as anything? She is also a very pretty cat, looks like a mackerel tabby.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me, he seems like a 'Black Silver Tabby Spotted'. Kind of like his mom, but his mom has a classic pattern.

Does his parents have papers? If we can look into their pedigrees, it can help too to see what is genetically possible and what is not ^^

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His father is a blue Scottish fold and his mother a black silver tabby Scottish Straight.
My doubt is more about the mixed pattern (mackerel on the neck and shoulders and spotted from shoulders to the tail).

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His father is a blue Scottish fold and his mother a black silver tabby Scottish Straight.
My doubt is more about the mixed pattern (mackerel on the neck and shoulders and spotted from shoulders to the tail).
Okay, that's what I thought ;) Then I would stick with the "Black Silver Tabby Spotted".

Mackerel is a striped pattern, much like fish bones. You also have something called 'broken mackerel' (Which would be called Mackerel when described in color or on a pedigree), which is like the mackerel, but with broken lines. However, your cat has obvious dots, and that's why it's not a Mackerel. It's a spotted pattern, it's just not a perfect pattern as you see on many of the pictures if you search for spotted. The pictures you see are mostly show cats which do require perfect patterns at some point in their show carreer. Many cats don't have a perfect pattern, but it doesn't make them less nice or beautiful ;)

I hope this clears it  up a little!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claudia cunha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers, it sure helped me.
He is not a show quality cat but I love him from the bottom of my heart. I have 4 cats (2 Scottish Straight solid blue, 1 fawn Highland Straigth and this Scottish Fold). Miuky (his name) is the most loving and cat lap of them, always seeking our attention :heart3:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers, it sure helped me.
He is not a show quality cat but I love him from the bottom of my heart. I have 4 cats (2 Scottish Straight solid blue, 1 fawn Highland Straigth and this Scottish Fold). Miuky (his name) is the most loving and cat lap of them, always seeking our attention
Oh, I wouldn't say he's not show quality. He can still be show quality, it's just the pattern that is not picture perfect. Some breeds are more focussed on patters than other, I'm not sure how important it is with scottish straights. But it basically means that if you have your cat that is competing on the show against another cat of the same quality, color and pattern but his pattern is a little more obvious, he will most likely win over yours. A cat with a less perfect pattern can still win shows, it just depends on what he has to go against and how important the pattern is in the breed ^^

Besides, if all patterns looked the same, it'd be a very boring catworld haha. Love and enjoy your 4 cats, and give them hugs  from me <3