Scooting: How do I know if he needs anal gland expression?

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 11 y/o boy has struggled with constipation issues, which may or may not be related to the thread here: scooting.

I have taken him to the vet about 6 times over the last 2 years to have his anal glands expressed. The second time I brought him in, they said it was really built-up bad, and if I had gone much longer there could have been much worse problems. At that visit, they told me to bring him in every 2 months to have it done, and that's the visit that scared me and always has me on edge to err on the side of caution. However, other than this one visit, the other 4-5 visits I was told after the procedure "he didn't really need to come in" or "yeah it was worthwhile, but not bad." After a couple of those "he didn't really need it" visits back-to-back I stopped bringing him in on a regular schedule.

I am following the vet's direction of essentially making an appointment if I notice him dragging his butt across the carpet after using the litter box.

I haven't brought him in for it in about 6 months now, switching his food to a better quality and getting on a better schedule with the Miralax for his constipation, I hadn't seen him scoot at all so I thought maybe these changes helped him. Today, I saw him scoot again just a little bit after using the box.

A long winded way to ask: is there any way for me to tell that he actually needs his anal glands expressed without having the procedure done? How do I know it's not just discomfort from constipation, or maybe he's had too much miralax and if I drop it back a bit his stool will have enough bulk to naturally express the glands, or even an itchy bum (I'm in the process of switching his dry food), or maybe even just him trying to wipe it after using the box if there was some remnant I didn't see?

To make no mention of the cost of the procedure ($35/visit), I hate bringing him in for it if he doesn't need it, as he doesn't exactly enjoy it. A vet tech also told me that the more you manually express them, the thicker the sacs can become and it becomes a vicious cycle because he'll need it expressed more!

Anyone have any experience with this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can express the glands yourself at home. No need to pay the vet to do it. Some vets just like to make money any way they can. There are online videos and articles on how to express anal glands. You may need an extra pair of hands to help hold the cat. Few cats like you messing around back there. Maybe check the glands once a week to start or whenever you smell something really :barfgreen: back there that's not stuck poop. Give the glands a firm squeeze to see if anything comes out. Goo might shoot out so it's a good idea to do this in the bathroom on an old towel and have paper towels on hand to clean up the cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You first need to know whether or not your cat's anal glands even need to be expressed. Short of knowing that, you are working in the dark, so to speak.

There used to be more descriptive examples on the web site (including pictures) to let you know what to look for, but I suppose that takes money away from the 'experts' to charge for doing it themselves, instead of letting an owner know it is 'time'. So, I had a big problem with finding the web sites I used to access on this matter.

The best I found at this point is this:
"Anal sacs are normally around the size of a small pea (5mm diameter), but they can expand to the size of a large pea (over 10mm diameter). If they are over-full like this, the anal sacs may become painful and itchy." This is coming from an article, which I have included the link below, which includes information about where to find them below the anus.

I guess you need to take your cat in, and have the vet explain in 'excruciating' detail how you would know yourself if they would need to be expressed, and then let them show you how to do it, if you should so choose to do so. At a minimum, you could ask to know how to check for a brewing issue, as opposed to routine expression visits, so that you only take your cat in when it is really necessary to do so.
Cat Anal Gland Problems: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - All About Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You first need to know whether or not your cat's anal glands even need to be expressed. Short of knowing that, you are working in the dark, so to speak.

There used to be more descriptive examples on the web site (including pictures) to let you know what to look for, but I suppose that takes money away from the 'experts' to charge for doing it themselves, instead of letting an owner know it is 'time'. So, I had a big problem with finding the web sites I used to access on this matter.

The best I found at this point is this:

I guess you need to take your cat in, and have the vet explain in 'excruciating' detail how you would know yourself if they would need to be expressed, and then let them show you how to do it, if you should so choose to do so. At a minimum, you could ask to know how to check for a brewing issue, as opposed to routine expression visits, so that you only take your cat in when it is really necessary to do so.
Cat Anal Gland Problems: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - All About Cats
Thanks. Maybe it's just me, but I have looked at many websites and even the link you shared, and I still don't know what I'm looking at or looking for. I would need something much more descriptive to show someone pointing out the location of the glands and then how to see/feel if they're full vs normal. I haven't been able to find any resources like that so my only current way to deal with it is to just take him in as soon as I see him scooting. It doesn't help that my cat is dark gray so it's hard to see back there as it is.

I guess I'd be curious if anyone has thoughts on my core question: I see him scooting, is that the time to take him to the vet? Should I wait until it happens every time he uses the box (not that I always see him using it, so I don't want to be too late)?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would these help?

Maybe get into the habit of checking the glands once a week to see if anything comes out. If stuff comes out, great. You probably just prevented scooting from even happening later.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I'd be curious if anyone has thoughts on my core question: I see him scooting, is that the time to take him to the vet? Should I wait until it happens every time he uses the box (not that I always see him using it, so I don't want to be too late)?
My cat has never been diagnosed with an ongoing anal gland issue, but I have seen her scoot for numerous other reasons - she happened to have some poop debris on her butt that didn't come off when she was in the litter box, or some softer than normal stool that made her want to find a way to 'get rid of it', for example. If there is scooting going on when you aren't there, I suspect you will find 'evidence' of it later.

Bottom line (no pun intended), there is no definitive answer to your question. Talk to your vet to find out the best way to move forward, and question them if their only answer is for routine gland expressions in their office. You've seen the internet search results and you still are uncomfortable with trying to assess an issue if/when there might be one. So, maybe you will just need to rely on the vet's suggestion for routine expression visits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bottom line (no pun intended), there is no definitive answer to your question. Talk to your vet to find out the best way to move forward, and question them if their only answer is for routine gland expressions in their office. You've seen the internet search results and you still are uncomfortable with trying to assess an issue if/when there might be one. So, maybe you will just need to rely on the vet's suggestion for routine expression visits.
Thanks for this response. I do go to a vet who is very... aggressive with treatment recommendations... they almost always recommend more than what's necessary, but I also don't think they're dishonest at all I think they just always err on the side of being very cautious.

I will be changing vets this year anyway when it's time for his annual exam/rabies shot, so the new doctor might have a different opinion on this issue or be able to help me troubleshoot it myself better down the line.

Would these help?

Maybe get into the habit of checking the glands once a week to see if anything comes out. If stuff comes out, great. You probably just prevented scooting from even happening later.
Thanks! These do help. I have felt around back there a bit but all I seem to feel is fur and bone, so I'm just not totally confident I'm feeling for the right thing, especially when the glands are only 5mm in size. Since we're about to go out of town for a few days, I think what I'm going to do is just take him in for an expression to be safe and just ask them to maybe show me how to identify it beyond the scooting issue.

Wegiesrule

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I express them at home. Warning sign it needs to be done is runny stool. Then I peek at that area when he is walking with his tail up, which is how he always walks. If I can see the glands (slightly open holes), I need to express them. Then they will return to their usual state - no hole visible. He is used to claw trimming and bathing so he doesn't flinch when I help him out.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I express them at home. Warning sign it needs to be done is runny stool. Then I peek at that area when he is walking with his tail up, which is how he always walks. If I can see the glands (slightly open holes), I need to express them. Then they will return to their usual state - no hole visible. He is used to claw trimming and bathing so he doesn't flinch when I help him out.
what do you mean by slight open holes? Do you think you can share a photo diagram?

My cat scoots but it seems to be a result of similar issue that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned. She’s only done it a few times over the last 2 years; more so at first but when we put her on myralax it has not occurred as often. And recently changed her diet and she seems to be pooping better too; so hopefully we won’t have to go down this expressing method ever; but I find this whole thing super interesting and possibly useful! Thanks for sharing everyone!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what do you mean by slight open holes? Do you think you can share a photo diagram?
The glands have openings so the secretions can come out of the body :) You may or may not be able to see the openings. If you look at the rectal opening as a clock, the anal glands are located roughly at the 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions. Here's a picture with goo coming out of the gland at the 4 o'clock position: