Scootching

SeaDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 yr. old male cat, Cosmos, is still scootching (he arrived as a rescue cat scootching). He has been dewormed with Drontal (2 doses - 3 wks. apart), had his anal glands checked (in other words, seen the vet). Currently he is on Revolution. Cosmos eats wet (canned) food. Increasing his water intake helps (adding water to canned food - as he stopped drinking water when he went from dry to wet food). Removing chicken from his diet seemed to help even more as his pooh is not as horrendously smelly as it was. Unfortunately, I saw him scootch again after two weeks, so I have started increasing his water intake again. Is this mostly a male cat thing? His sister is clearly of a different father, but she has no issues (she does not drink water either).

Panacur treatment was suggested. I feel like I am going in circles. He does not show any of the symptoms for giardia...? I am a biologist and have been working carefully to make sure I am changing only one variable at a time, but I am not sure throwing chemicals at him with little rational is wise.

I do think his feces are firmer than I would expect. I am thinking of adding pumpkin in his diet for fiber. I had good luck with it when I had a cat with megacolon.

Please help!!!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain!

This has been a lifelong problem with my now 10-year-old cat, Willy, and unfortunately, I have not been able to find a solution.

See this thread, and maybe it could be helpful to you. You may want to see the comments about placing a piece of carpeting or doormat near the litter box.

Is there ANY way to stop carpet scooting?

This did not work for my cat, but it might work for yours.

Unfortunately, my cat learned that this carpet scooting behavior feels good and helps him clean his bottom, and he never stopped. Cats are smart, and sometimes we can't always control what they do. But give that thread a read, because you might find some success where I didn't.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you talk to your vet about probiotics? Mine suggested giving some inexpensive ones to our new cat to solve the smelly poo problem.

It does also help with Magnus's hard poos