Scooping Water?

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My newly adopted cat (Audrey) drinks by scooping water from her bowl into her paw and then drinking from her paw. How can she possibly be getting enough water to drink? She seems to drink less than a bowl a day, but seems in good health. She is currently eating Science Diet kibble, as this is what the place of adoption advised they were feeding her. She eats VERY little.
Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the link :) I think maybe we should try a fountain, no way is she getting the recommended water intake. I brush her pretty often (she insists on it) so she is pretty shinny, so I can't really tell by that :/ However, she doesn't show any signs of feeling under the weather.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats on an all dry diet do not drink enough water which can lead to chronic mild dehydration which can lead to other problems. If you can feed some or all wet food, I would encourage you to do so. Cats are designed to get their moisture from wet food (75% vs. 10% in dry). If you would like to learn more, please go to www.catinfo.org. It's written by a vet and has great info on feline nutrition and health. I wish someone had directed me there when I first got my cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acorte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks :) I'll look more into the wet food options ... I so want to keep her healthy and happy!