Scoop for Pellet Litter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this has been answered before but I'm not able to find it, for those that use pine pellets for litter what kind of scooper do you use? I'm planning to try pellet litter with my cats, I'm ordering a cheap sifting litter box (just to see how they like the litter before investing too much) but I'm a bit stumped on what people use to scoop out the poop with. Is it better to I get one of those wire scoopers like this? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61OS3HsBL7L._AC_SL1001_.jpg Or are they not worth it and better or just as good to just stick with a regular litter scoop that I use for clay litter?

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm an amateur when it comes to pine pellets, but I just use a regular run of the mill scoop, more specifically the Nature's Miracle brand. It's nothing special. The pellets that are stuck on the poop need to be tossed anyways so I don't worry about them not falling through the holes. I also do a reverse sift operation every few days to get the spent pellets out of there.

This video is basically the process I use, for clarity purposes.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a scoop from Hollywood feed that had wider slots that worked pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm an amateur when it comes to pine pellets, but I just use a regular run of the mill scoop, more specifically the Nature's Miracle brand. It's nothing special. The pellets that are stuck on the poop need to be tossed anyways so I don't worry about them not falling through the holes. I also do a reverse sift operation every few days to get the spent pellets out of there.

This video is basically the process I use, for clarity purposes.
That video is actually perfect to show me what to do with what I have/am getting! The sifting box in the video is what I am buying to try out pellet litter with, and that litter scoop they are using is exactly what I have right now, lol. That person is just picking the poop out with a baggy not scooping them out with the scoop though.

I was hoping there would be a specific scoop style for pellet litter people use or prefer but I guess not. I do see the one Bobsk8 Bobsk8 mentioned is specifically for pine pellets, but they don't ship to Canada :ohwell:, and I don't see any similarly designed ones on Amazon. I'll just hold off on getting a new scoop for now, see how the cats and I like the pellets and get a different scoop if needed when I have a better idea of what might work.

I really hope at least some of my cats like the pellets (trying it out by adding another litter box not taking any of the old boxes away), I like the idea and with 14 cats the clay litter is getting to be a pain, literally.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I had to use a "2 scoop" method, more like tongs to get large pieces out. Delilah wasn't that crazy about the pellets, and neither was I.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That person is just picking the poop out with a baggy not scooping them out with the scoop though.
Yeah I don't know why she does that, I just use the scoop and try not to pick up too much pellets on the way.