schedule for 14-wk-old (raw)

rawvixen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far I've fed this kitten twice a day but set out frozen meat when I leave for work or go to bed.

Now I've read through the schedule thread and am inspired to get her into a routine, but am not sure what I should look out for. Any suggestions? I can drop in mid-day if three feedings are necessary.

cesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a 14 week old kitten still needs to eat frequently, I would just caution you to make sure your kitty is getting enough food when getting it on a schedule.

You might want to wait a few months before restricting food at all.

Connie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cesg

a 14 week old kitten still needs to eat frequently, I would just caution you to make sure your kitty is getting enough food when getting it on a schedule.

You might want to wait a few months before restricting food at all.

Connie
Most vets and nutritionists recommend free feeding till at least 6 months.. Yes That is very difficult with raw... Which is why raw feeding breeders either have some dry out for kittens or they feed 4-6 times a day

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my kittens a large breakfast when I get up and then their next meal is around 4 pm. That is another large meal. Next is at 7:00 and it is a smaller meal and then they get a huge meal again at 10:30.

It would also work to leave out some frozen for them to eat later on during the day once it is thawed. Or, you could get a timed feeder that has an icepack in it.

If you don't want to leave raw food out during the day for them I would personally just leave canned out instead. There is no point to feeding dry

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

I feed my kittens a large breakfast when I get up and then their next meal is around 4 pm. That is another large meal. Next is at 7:00 and it is a smaller meal and then they get a huge meal again at 10:30.

It would also work to leave out some frozen for them to eat later on during the day once it is thawed. Or, you could get a timed feeder that has an icepack in it.

If you don't want to leave raw food out during the day for them I would personally just leave canned out instead. There is no point to feeding dry
Many breeders who do raw also feed dry( I only understand a slight point of doing so myself)... Try to keep an open mind that many feed in different ways and can in fact be correct...Canned food bacteria levels have been proven to double every 20 minute s thus leaving it out is also a recipe for disaster to the educated ...

The ice pack feeder is a wonderful idea... thawing raw food at room temp is a recipe for disaster.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RawVixen

So far I've fed this kitten twice a day but set out frozen meat when I leave for work or go to bed.

Now I've read through the schedule thread and am inspired to get her into a routine, but am not sure what I should look out for. Any suggestions? I can drop in mid-day if three feedings are necessary.
RawVixen, I would recommend you feed your kitten at least three times a day. Until she's about a year old, I'd even recommend four feedings, if at all possible. Kittens need more food, more often, than adults and I wouldn't feed an adult any less than three times a day. (I know lots of folks do, but cats evolved to eat many small meals a day and their tummies can get acidic if they go without for too long - of course, "too long" is specific to every cat; some aren't affected by this, some get nauseous after only 8 hours. If they do get an acidic stomach, it can make them throw up, and - sometimes - vomiting can be hard to get under control.)

It's awesome that you're starting her off on raw!!!
What food items is she eating?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Auntie Crazy;2954164 said:
RawVixen, I would recommend you feed your kitten at least three times a day. Until she's about a year old, I'd even recommend four feedings, if at all possible. Kittens need more food, more often, than adults and I wouldn't feed an adult any less than three times a day. (I know lots of folks do, but cats evolved to eat many small meals a day and their tummies can get acidic if they go without for too long - of course, "too long" is specific to every cat; some aren't affected by this, some get nauseous after only 8 hours. If they do get an acidic stomach, it can make them throw up, and - sometimes - vomiting can be hard to get under control.)

It's awesome that you're starting her off on raw!!!
What food items is she eating?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens as Noted in multiple ways need to eat more than 2 times a day..

Easy way to do four feeding s which is what most breeders and/ or rescuers often do...
A wake up feeding
Mid day lunch
Supper when you get home
and
Bed time

It would work with the raw easily ... or a canned / raw so you can alternate to not stress the digestion... and even dry with raw

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Feral cats have been documented burying their breakfast, then digging up those remains and eating them for dinner with absolutely no ill effects, as do their bigger cousins like lions, etc.
Feral cats and lions have digestions that are used to dealing with that sort of thing, though. A pampered house cat will not. Yes, I know they are all "made the same" but much depends on what the individual system is used to.

I'm only commenting because you do make it sound like it's okay to feed cats rotten or spoiled or questionable food, and really, it is not okay.

My 18 week old kitten is fed 6-8 times a day, as much as she will eat at one meal, which isn't much, usually no more than 1.5 -2 oz at a time.

<edit> just realized this is in the raw fed forum. I don't feed raw those ounces are from canned food.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the first thing about raw food diets, but I agree 100% with Otto's post. Feral cats and wild cats are different than house cats, and leaving canned food out for a cat to eat is just not a good idea.

I also know that cats' digestive systems are designed to eat many small meals a day, and growing kitties basically need as much food as they can eat. Of course cats can be "trained" into schedules... that said, I'd feed your baby as many meals a day as you can regularly schedule.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy
Feral cats have been documented burying their breakfast, then digging up those remains and eating them for dinner with absolutely no ill effects, as do their bigger cousins like lions, etc.
Feral cats and lions have digestions that are used to dealing with that sort of thing, though. A pampered house cat will not. Yes, I know they are all "made the same" but much depends on what the individual system is used to.

I'm only commenting because you do make it sound like it's okay to feed cats rotten or spoiled or questionable food, and really, it is not okay.

Originally Posted by LDG

I don't know the first thing about raw food diets, but I agree 100% with Otto's post. Feral cats and wild cats are different than house cats, and leaving canned food out for a cat to eat is just not a good idea....
For future readers, a clarification is called for here.

My comment has been taken out of context; I never suggested feeding rotten, spoiled or questionable food to cats, nor would I ever do so (as my history clearly supports).

My statement was by way of illustrating how well cats evolved to handle bacteria and is predicated on the fact that there is no difference in the physiology of house cats, feral cats (which are, after all, house cats gone wild) and lions, nothing more.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Wow, I have never seen AC post anything even close to saying it's fine to feed spoiled food.

The youngest here at the moment is 14 weeks old, she eats 4-5 times a day. I feed before work, after work, evening and before bed. Adults (pregnant girls excluded) are fed 3 times a day.