Scent swapping

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought my new kitten Ivy home today(9 weeks) and I currently have a 5 month old Kitten Penelope. They have not seen each other yet but I did swap their blankets and the smelled and Penelope even licked Ivy’s blanket! No meowing or hissing. Is this a good sign? And are there certain reactions I should be looking for when the kittens are smelling each other’s toys/blankets/etc?

thanks in advance!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I just brought my new kitten Ivy home today(9 weeks) and I currently have a 5 month old Kitten Penelope. They have not seen each other yet but I did swap their blankets and the smelled and Penelope even licked Ivy’s blanket! No meowing or hissing. Is this a good sign? And are there certain reactions I should be looking for when the kittens are smelling each other’s toys/blankets/etc?
Hi O Oford21 ...and welcome to the Cat Site.(TCS). :wave3:
Wow, you are so lucky to have two young kittens in the home.
Endless entertainment. Better than anything on t.v. or the computer.
(I wish I can go back in time.) :blush:

Any type of reaction to a new Scented item, or no reaction,...but added interest...is a good thing.
For Scent swapping, you're just trying to get each cat to recognize the other cat's Scent.
So that they are familiar with it...and then when they meet...they are not fearful, angry, or startled.

With kittens, though, the cat to cat introductions...can go a whole lot faster.:agree:
Since you want them introduced sooner...so that the two can Play, Play, Play,...and establish a close bond...while 'teaching each other' ...what they like and don't like.

(You do, though, have to make sure that the 'new kitten' is checked out by a Vet, first,...so that any existing health issues are addressed...and that no health issues can be transferred to the resident cat. (eg, colds, fleas, infections, etc.)
When you get the 'all clear' from the Vet...then the actual meetings can take place.)

Is there any way, ...you can post a couple of photos of your kittens?:)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks in advance!
Hello O Oford21 , Ivy, and Penelope, and welcome to TCS! It sounds as though you have a very good situation there between Penelope and Ivy! Kittens are often more resilient and adapt more quickly to new scenarios and family members than adult cats. So far, so good! Keep doing what you're doing with the scent swapping and gradually work up to short, supervised encounters, either on both sides of a door or even in the same room, as it sounds like they will fit in together right away. Experts suggest giving the newbie his or her own room with all needs for up to 2 weeks, but it doesn't sound to me like they will need that much time. As long as you are with them to supervise and observe, it sounds like all systems go! Most cats do establish hierarchy and there may be some hissing, spitting, growling, and even cuffing in order to do this; an older kitten or cat will often teach a new kitten the "rules" this way. But as long as no actual harm is done, they may need to do this. Or not. Please keep us informed as to how they're doing -- and we love pix here at TCS! :agree:
IMG_2043.JPG

Baby Su, 17 and born feral; and Elvis, 14 and born ROYAL. They tolerate each other. :hearthrob::redheartpump::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your feedback!!

they have both slept a-lot today and I’ve been swapping their blankets with eachother all day as well. I think my next step here is going to have them swap rooms, ivy (new kitten) is already curious to get out of her basecamp! She is purring, playing, eating and using her litter box!! I brought Penelope my resident cat up to the door that Ivy is on the other side of and gave Penelope treats but she just ate her treats and didn’t really react- sniffed a little and then just followed me back into the living room. Hoping the good transition continues!!

Ivy is the grey & Penelope is the cream! I hope they will be best friends!!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much for your feedback!!

they have both slept a-lot today and I’ve been swapping their blankets with eachother all day as well. I think my next step here is going to have them swap rooms, ivy (new kitten) is already curious to get out of her basecamp! She is purring, playing, eating and using her litter box!! I brought Penelope my resident cat up to the door that Ivy is on the other side of and gave Penelope treats but she just ate her treats and didn’t really react- sniffed a little and then just followed me back into the living room. Hoping the good transition continues!!

Ivy is the grey & Penelope is the cream! I hope they will be best friends!!
OMC they are both so adorable! and it sounds like you won't have any work or anything to worry about at all. I predict you will see them curling up in a little kittenpile very soon (and I'm not alone in hoping we'll get pix!) :hearthrob: :hearthrob: :loveeyes::lovecat3::zzzcat:

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok update here!

I site swapped and all went well. But Penelope (resident cat) finally knows Ivy is in there. She is eating treats at the door and only hissed and growled once. But now I have a problem. When I am not in the room with Ivy, Penelope Cries. When I am out of the room- Ivy cries. It’s breaking my heart. Penelope is crying at door. Makes me think they want to see each other. I have a gate up in between the door. Do you think it’s too soon to let them see each other face to face? I don’t want to ruin the process of introduction. Ahhhh advice would be SO HELPFUL!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok update here!

I site swapped and all went well. But Penelope (resident cat) finally knows Ivy is in there. She is eating treats at the door and only hissed and growled once. But now I have a problem. When I am not in the room with Ivy, Penelope Cries. When I am out of the room- Ivy cries. It’s breaking my heart. Penelope is crying at door. Makes me think they want to see each other. I have a gate up in between the door. Do you think it’s too soon to let them see each other face to face? I don’t want to ruin the process of introduction. Ahhhh advice would be SO HELPFUL!!!
That's a tough call, since it is such a short time that they've been in proximity to one another, but my guess would be the same as yours, and so if you decide to do so, you might let them sniff through a crack in the door and work up from there.

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a tough call, since it is such a short time that they've been in proximity to one another, but my guess would be the same as yours, and so if you decide to do so, you might let them sniff through a crack in the door and work up from there.
I agree I am so torn- Ivy (9Week) hasn’t reacted at all- except she’s been around other cats up until I took her today. She just wants to snuggle and get attention. Penelope is 5 months but I took her home when she was only 6 weeks. Penelope was just crying at the door and I wasn’t near either of them. I’m not sure if that’s her wanting to see a Ivy or if it’s her telling me she’s upset lol

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree I am so torn- Ivy (9Week) hasn’t reacted at all- except she’s been around other cats up until I took her today. She just wants to snuggle and get attention. Penelope is 5 months but I took her home when she was only 6 weeks. Penelope was just crying at the door and I wasn’t near either of them. I’m not sure if that’s her wanting to see a Ivy or if it’s her telling me she’s upset lol
It doesn't sound as though Penelope is "upset" at all by Ivy's presence. It sounds much more like you said -- that she wants to see and be with her. If Ivy has been around other cats, she's well socialized to them, which is a huge plus.
We had just lost a beloved little kitten to FIP and I wanted to adopt again, which I always try to do if I can. I called a rescuer/adopter friend, told her I was looking for a very social kitten who could fit into a multi-cat family, and right away she named a cat in her care. I went to meet her. She was older than I had thought of and I wasn't sure, but I WAS sure that she needed a loving, forever home, so I decided to adopt her.
There was no adjustment period whatsoever. Tarifa was friendly with everyone right from the start, and never met a cat or a person she didn't like, it seems. She left us in August 2020 and we miss her terribly. She was an amazing personality-plus loving girl!
New item by Jmuhj Acat

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound as though Penelope is "upset" at all by Ivy's presence. It sounds much more like you said -- that she wants to see and be with her. If Ivy has been around other cats, she's well socialized to them, which is a huge plus.
We had just lost a beloved little kitten to FIP and I wanted to adopt again, which I always try to do if I can. I called a rescuer/adopter friend, told her I was looking for a very social kitten who could fit into a multi-cat family, and right away she named a cat in her care. I went to meet her. She was older than I had thought of and I wasn't sure, but I WAS sure that she needed a loving, forever home, so I decided to adopt her.
There was no adjustment period whatsoever. Tarifa was friendly with everyone right from the start, and never met a cat or a person she didn't like, it seems. She left us in August 2020 and we miss her terribly. She was an amazing personality-plus loving girl!
New item by Jmuhj Acat
Awe that is so great!!! Makes the process less stressful for sure!!
So I decided to let them see each other through a crack in the door and there is a gate up for double protection. I gave them both treats and they both ate the treats! Penelope (5 month resident cat) did hiss and growl a couple times- but overall they both sat there and ate treats and I dangled a toy that they were both playing with. I HOPE this is a good start. It seems stressful when they growl and hiss but I’ve heard this is all super common. Seems like this helped solve the curiosity too as Ivy is now asleep and I’m playing with Penelope to get some energy out!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a gate up in between the door. Do you think it’s too soon to let them see each other face to face? I don’t want to ruin the process of introduction.
I say...."go for it"....especially since you have a gate, already.
I predict the older kitten, Penelope, will probably jump the gate...but hey...it's bound to happen, sometimes.
Also, just be prepared for some hissing, kitten posturing, tails raised up, arched backs, etc.
All the 'kitten posturing' really is...is just instinct.

Since there is a 'size difference'...then you may have to just 'quietly supervise'...in case Penelope gets a bit too rough.
This is all normal kitten playing, though.
If the little Ivy, likes to run and hide...and still comes back out...then you know you're off to a good start.
In about a month, Ivy will gain a pound...and grow super fast...so the size difference won't matter anymore.

Edit: Ooops....I just saw that you posted a new update. Lol. :lol: (I am so slow at typing. haha.)
Things went amazingly well.
Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
Take tons of photos and videos, too. These times go by so quick. Enjoy the moments. :cloud9: :blush: :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*YES* on everything cat nap cat nap said!
They have to work out their hierarchy. That's almost inevitable. Very few cats don't go through this. My Tarifa angel and also our beloved angel Samuda never did, because they were so social and friendly. But cats are predators and though some say they are loners, they can be VERY social. Just look at the colonies of cats! Most do have to work out their place, though. Again, as long as no actual harm is done, this is natural and normal, and you have to let them go through it to get to bonding, after which they still may have occasional spats, but it's not a big deal once they bond.

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*YES* on everything cat nap cat nap said!
They have to work out their hierarchy. That's almost inevitable. Very few cats don't go through this. My Tarifa angel and also our beloved angel Samuda never did, because they were so social and friendly. But cats are predators and though some say they are loners, they can be VERY social. Just look at the colonies of cats! Most do have to work out their place, though. Again, as long as no actual harm is done, this is natural and normal, and you have to let them go through it to get to bonding, after which they still may have occasional spats, but it's not a big deal once they bond.
Thank you and cat nap cat nap so so much!! I’ve never had 2 cats so this is all so new to me!! Your advice has helped me feel more confident in this process I truly appreciate it

Ivy doesn’t hide or hiss at all. She just stares at Penelope ha!!
One more question here- When going to bed at night- if they’re crying in the middle of the night do you go in there to comfort them? Or is it best to let them cry it out? I’m not sure what Ivy will be like our first night. But Penelope was an angel and never made a peep so I’m not sure!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you and cat nap cat nap so so much!! I’ve never had 2 cats so this is all so new to me!! Your advice has helped me feel more confident in this process I truly appreciate it

One more question here- When going to bed at night- if they’re crying in the middle of the night do you go in there to comfort them? Or is it best to let them cry it out? I’m not sure what Ivy will be like our first night. But Penelope was an angel and never made a peep so I’m not sure!
That would be a personal choice, I think. I never had that scenario, that I can recall. But sometimes Baby Su will start talking late at night. I just let her. I might respond to her, but that's it. I don't get up or anything. Tarifa used to patrol the hall that runs the length of the house, bellowing at the top of her lungs (you'd never think a sound that loud could come from such a small cat package!) while parading her latest "kill" (a twinkle ball. There are two big bowls of them on the living room coffee table. She'd jump up there, get one in her mouth -- usually her favorite purple one -- and let us all know what a mighty hunter she was. She'd often drop it at our door, to show me what a hunter does and what a hopeless hunter I was. Since she never achieved success with me, she transferred this behavior to our roomies when they joined us. They never improved, either.:angrycat:)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh....the million dollar question.
Actually, this is a very common question...and I am very interested in what tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ...will say, too.

For me, I cannot take it when a cat or kitten is crying.
It's too heart-wrenching for me to hear. (so I'm very biased when it comes to animals' crying.)
But I do know that some members, here,...advise that you let them cry a bit...so that you can get adequate sleep yourself.

I think it all depends on your own personality, and your own sleep schedule,...and if you can take the time to comfort them.
Yes, it will cause the kitten to expect you to come back...and comfort her again.
But then I say..."why not"...if you have the time, don't have to get up early for work, and it does not impact your own health.
Of course...only you can decide this for yourself.

The pros and cons of the comforting...is that the small little kitten will not be scared...and gain Trust...that she is not alone.
It's difficult for the new kitten to be away...from her siblings and family....the first week.
And offering comfort...means more bonding between humans and their forever friends...in these amazing creatures...we call our cats.
The cons would only be...that you'd lose some sleep, and may create some habit...or not...of a cat crying for attention further.
Though, when we are talking about cats...then why is it so hard to get up and see what our cats need.
In the case of a kitten or young animal...I really see nothing wrong with this. (It doesn't mean that in the future...a cat will forever be crying for attention)

Go with your own personal choices and instincts...because really...you are doing an amazing job...and bless you for taking in this new kitten...and saving another life. :)

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All…

little update here- Ivy did great overnight. Penelope left the door alone and even came and cuddled with me in bed. However, I did just try to put Penelope in Ivy’s room and sit In there with her, but she just hissed, growled, and paw’d at the door to get out… I feel bad because Ivy wants to explore the house and it’s not fair to keep her Cooped up in the same room- but Penelope does NOT like it when I put her in a room by herself. She just cries and tries to get out. Ivy is SUPER sweet and because Penelope has been hissing and growling at her- Ivy is a little frightened by her and doesn’t want to interact as much…Any advice on how to take on day 2?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All…

little update here- Ivy did great overnight. Penelope left the door alone and even came and cuddled with me in bed. However, I did just try to put Penelope in Ivy’s room and sit In there with her, but she just hissed, growled, and paw’d at the door to get out… I feel bad because Ivy wants to explore the house and it’s not fair to keep her Cooped up in the same room- but Penelope does NOT like it when I put her in a room by herself. She just cries and tries to get out. Ivy is SUPER sweet and because Penelope has been hissing and growling at her- Ivy is a little frightened by her and doesn’t want to interact as much…Any advice on how to take on day 2?
Basically, keep on doing what you're doing! Scent swapping and sight swapping and maybe a very short supervised time in the same room IF your intuition tells you it's time. There is no 100% "right" way. Just go with what they are exhibiting in terms of their emotions and actions. You're doing a wonderful "job" so far! :hearthrob: :lovecat4::lovecat4::hearthrob:

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome thanks!!
Today has been better- they are eating probably 5 feet apart at the same time, although there is a door between them but they can see through the cat door to each other. I also just gave them time through a crack in the door!! It went really well- playful swatting and laying on their side playing with each other through the door and under it. As time went on I did open the door and let Penelope in. I held Ivy and they play swatted and then Penelope hissed and growled. Ultimately I have some hesitation setting Ivy free even though she wants down to play- I’m afraid Penelope will play and then shortly after hiss and growl like she did when I was holding Ivy… I would say it’s going pretty well considering they have only been together less than 48 hours.. But it is definitely work having to split them up as Ivy cried every time I leave her in a room.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome thanks!!
Today has been better- they are eating probably 5 feet apart at the same time, although there is a door between them but they can see through the cat door to each other. I also just gave them time through a crack in the door!! It went really well- playful swatting and laying on their side playing with each other through the door and under it. As time went on I did open the door and let Penelope in. I held Ivy and they play swatted and then Penelope hissed and growled. Ultimately I have some hesitation setting Ivy free even though she wants down to play- I’m afraid Penelope will play and then shortly after hiss and growl like she did when I was holding Ivy… I would say it’s going pretty well considering they have only been together less than 48 hours.. But it is definitely work having to split them up as Ivy cried every time I leave her in a room.
So far, so good, though! Keep up the very good work! *SNORGLES on them both from me!*:lovecat3::lovecat3:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...I held Ivy and they play swatted and then Penelope hissed and growled. Ultimately I have some hesitation setting Ivy free even though she wants down to play- I’m afraid Penelope will play and then shortly after hiss and growl like she did when I was holding Ivy… I would say it’s going pretty well considering they have only been together less than 48 hours.. But it is definitely work having to split them up as Ivy cried every time I leave her in a room.
What are Penelope's growls like?
Are they deep and seem threatening...very continuous and long...or are they more the sound of a cat being "annoyed"...brief and short?

Also....does Penelope do the growling...each and every time she sees Ivy?
Even when she's behind the gate?

(Sometimes cats...even older kittens...will growl at new kittens...because they just don't know what to make of the new kitten, yet.
The kitten's movements are so erratic, and unpredictable...and the older cat gets a little scared by that.
It just may be a 'warning signal'...and a form of communication...from one cat to the other...that they want them to 'stop and freeze'...so that the cat doing the growling...has a chance to observe them, and take in their scent, sight, and movements.
The cat doing the 'growling'...does want their communication to be respected.

Does Penelope also growl at you...after you have been holding Ivy?...if you were to try and pet her?
Is Penelope fearful of the smell on your hands?