Scary moments during play...

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got quite a scare when my boys were playing earlier today. They're almost 9 weeks and are brothers so they're playing constantly and are always wrestling, chasing each other, etc. They play very nicely together and I only hear a few yelps here & there.

Today they were on the floor playing and I heard Garfunkel start "panting" - sort of the pre-hiss "hee hee hee" type huffing/breathing. I looked over and he was arching his back and had his tail puffed out.

I was a little nervous so I reached for him. I reach for the boys in play all the time - again, they are always playing nicely, and often they're playing next to or even on top of my limbs, lol, so I'll interrupt and move them off the bed or couch, etc., when they get too rough for me.

Today when I reached for him he went full-on wildcat, hissed, and whipped his head toward my hand like he was going to bite - he didn't, but I'm not sure if it's because he stopped or because I pulled my hand back so quickly. Of course it all happened within one second in time - and it terrified me! My heart rate increased! (I guess that's the point in the wild, LOL!) Within a minute or two he was normal again and I picked him up and he's been fine since.

Nothing was out of the ordinary - playing on the floor next to my bed where they always do, no new clothes or furniture, and the "episode" only lasted about 5 minutes total (from when I originally heard the panting to when I picked him up and he was normal).

Is this something I should be concerned about? He has never, ever been that way before - not even for a second. I was honest-to-goodness terrified in that split second I reached out my hand for him.

While writing this I realized I wanted to ask about something that happens with Simon during interactive play with a wand toy. Of course it can be difficult to play with two kittens and one wand, but they usually do okay - they'll both chase it for awhile, and then one kitten will sit on the sidelines while the other fights and "kills" the toy, then switch.

With one toy in particular - a feathered attachment - Simon gets extremely possessive, and will exhibit similar "huffing" behavior as well as a low growl and will swat Funky if he tries to play, too. One other thing he does is pick up the toy in his mouth and try to carry it away, around the end of the couch. He plays fine with the "ribbon" attachment, so I'm wondering if because of the feathers he thinks this is an actual kill and is defending it? Anyone have any theories?

Sorry for the super long post!!

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love the kitty names.

I'm not a behavior expert, but you jogged my memory and I can say I've had cats do what you described in the first scenario. (The second too LOL). But as for the first, I just put it down to their getting mentally very "into" their playing, and if you enter the game at that point, you DO risk being attacked. If I needed to stop them or interrupt, I learned to call the cat's name and verbally "snap him out of it" before I put any limbs in harm's way. I think it's probably normal. Though I have not had all my cats do that.

As for the second, I attach many of my cats' toys to the wand. I learned that they each had strong favorites (fortunately not the same toy!) and would often object to the other playing with that toy, or would instantly carry it away. It could be that he sees it more as real prey, maybe that's why my cats prefer a certain toy. But I found respecting the favorites, and having lots of toys, to pretty much solve the issue.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - when they look like a Halloween cat, it's not the time to put your own hands into the mix. At that point a cat is usually try to visually show how big and ferocious it is, as a defensive or offensive move, depending if they're scared of something, or trying to warn off another cat/human. If you really think you have to break something up, toss a towel gently over one of them; I've had luck tossing a treat or toy across the line of vision to 'break' the concentration.

And, yeah, my two each have their own favorite toys they don't like to share - I just try to make sure to give each equal time with their favorites and don't 'tease' them by letting their sibling play with the favored toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like this type of aggression is normal kitten behavior during really involved play? Is that right?

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do think it's normal yes. Especially with the panting-type breathing you describe. I have seen EXACTLY that progression during play of some of my kittens, and they grew into fine cats. Not all of them have done it -- I think the ones that have have been males, as far as I can remember. One in particular could be very aggressive in his play, but learned to behave, and grew to be a fabulous hunter.

But yes, I would suspect it is normal. None of my cats who did that ever developed personality problems or any related issues at any time later.

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Cats can play with such aggression that it can appear as if they are angry and enemies, when actually they aren't. If the hissing and arching of the back and cat fight lasted a long time and happens frequently and for long periods, they may just have compatibility issues. But short bursts of very aggressive behavior is normal feline behavior.

As a side note, my male cat will often growl like dog, when it has a special treat and the female cat comes near wanting some. That is pure predatory instinct that says.. "Hey get away, this is mine!" Very normal behavior.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten play at that age is the precursor to adult survival behaviors. They are learning to be cats, and the hissing/spitting/fluffing is all part of them sorting out their dominance.

I actually think it's cute.